General discussion

Router Connection Issues

After installing a new DSL modem, I couldn't get my router to work properly despite checking all the connections, settings, etc. I figured out that if I connect the modem into one of the 4 LAN ports, everything works just fine. Everything I've read or seen says to plug the modem into the WAN/Internet port so is something wrong with my router?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Router Connection Issues
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Router Connection Issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: connection

The most likely issue is that you are using the wrong cable to connect the modem and the router. You should a crossover cable, not a patch cable. Do I have to explain, or is this enough?

Kees

- Collapse -
re:

Makes sense now. I didn't know there were two kinds of cable; thought all CAT5s were the same. Thanks.

- Collapse -
Other way around

It's the other way around. You should be using a straight patch cable to connect a router to the computer or router to a modem. Crossover cables are for connecting two computers together without the use of a hub/switch/router.

If you have a DSL/Cable modem, that connects to the WAN port on a router, and then the LAN ports are for computers you want to connect. But (to the OP) if things are working fine, then why post? Some devices are screwy that way. That's what you get when everything is built with Chinese slave labor. You probably got a device made after someone had been putting these things together for about 15 hours already, and they screwed something up. Or, on some devices, the WAN port can double as a LAN port. Usually it's set apart, but not always.

- Collapse -
Ports

If everything is working when u run it into one of the four ports, the easiest way to deal with that is just to leave it as you have it..Some devices as one of the previous replies said will only work that way, due to the fact that in the factory a wire may have been crossed or something of similar nature..They are absolutely right about the patch cable but there is really no need to go out and buy another cable if it works like you have it now

CNET Forums

Forum Info