Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Router compatibility help

by minnakay / January 24, 2009 11:46 AM PST

I have a HP laptop and a Dell laptop. I bought a router for my 3G wireless card. My dell is working perfectly. The HP will work great as long as the Ethernet is connected. When you take it off the Ethernet, it will connect, but says limited or no connectivity? I have tried everything I can think of. I ran the wireless assistant and the brand name of my router (Cyfre) is not listed. If you select other, it will not work. There is nothing wrong with the wireless radio or capabilities b/c I used it at my mothers house this week. Does this mean the hp is not going to be compatible? Or am I missing something? Windows firewall is set to allow it. I can't think of anything else that would block it. I have not tried turning the Antivirus software off, but I don't think that is the problem b/c it works great at my moms house. Any ideas on what it could be? I'm hoping its a simple setting that I am just forgetting about. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Router compatibility help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Router compatibility help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My laptop does that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2009 11:56 AM PST

Straight out of the box it would have those popups of limited connectivity. If I plug in my ethernet, that box would go away but then the wifi interface would complain.

If you think about it, it makes sense. What doesn't make sense is that they deliver it configured to annoy owners. Sadly I think we'll have to get the machines to work like toasters or learn where to turn off the popups.
Bob

Collapse -
What do you do?
by minnakay / January 24, 2009 12:17 PM PST
In reply to: My laptop does that.

So, do you just stay hardwired? I have no internet access wirelessly at all. It kinda takes away the point of a wireless router and a computer with wi-fi.

Collapse -
Is the wireless . . .
by Coryphaeus / January 24, 2009 8:19 PM PST
In reply to: What do you do?

radio in the laptop turned on?

Collapse -
Are you serious?
by minnakay / January 24, 2009 10:54 PM PST
In reply to: Is the wireless . . .

Of course the radio is turned on, I may not be a computer genius, but I not a dummy either. This morning neither computer will use the wireless signal. I think I need to hire a pro to come out and set it up.

Collapse -
Be serious.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2009 11:22 PM PST
In reply to: Are you serious?

Look at your posts and all the gritty details are missing.

No model numbers of what you are working with.
No operating system noted in the OS. Vista has issues with wifi which we write about in the Networking forum sticky.
No details about your wifi configuration (no security, wep, wpa, etc.)

All I'm left with is the complaint about the limited connectivity popups and that I find it annoying they configured it to annoy people.

Your choice to make a seriously complete post.
Bob

Collapse -
?
by minnakay / January 24, 2009 11:47 PM PST
In reply to: Be serious.

I wasn't talking to you about being serious. If you noticed there was a post asking if the radio was on. That's what I was referring to. I asked you a question about what you did about it? I always seen to find the forums that don't really want to help. Maybe it's an ego thing? I am running xp on the hp and vista on the dell. Now neither will work. I have a cyfre router that I bought directly from Alltel. I am not at home, but I can get you any models numbers you need, although I don't really think you want to help me.

I have set up the router correctly. I have set up wireless networks at my mom's house 3 times. With no problems.

Collapse -
(NT) Got SSID turned on?
by Coryphaeus / January 24, 2009 11:54 PM PST
In reply to: ?
Collapse -
I don't need the model numbers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2009 2:09 AM PST
In reply to: ?

You are the one in need and to get the best replies these details help others see if there is some setting or known issue with the make/model of the products.

When you leave the details out you will get vague generalized replies.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: limited connectivity
by Kees Bakker / January 24, 2009 11:04 PM PST

One of the general cures is to tell it the right encryption and password.

Kees

Collapse -
You can be that pro.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2009 11:24 PM PST

Let me share that I setup my wifi routers exactly like our forum sticky asks.

I take the router defaults, set the security to WPA and pick a password.

On the VISTA machines I make the changes noted in our forum sticky just in cause and then I connect up.
Bob

Collapse -
HP laptop
by culpritprod / February 3, 2009 12:38 AM PST

Make sure your wireless drivers are updated on the HP.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?