General discussion

Router compatibility help

I have a HP laptop and a Dell laptop. I bought a router for my 3G wireless card. My dell is working perfectly. The HP will work great as long as the Ethernet is connected. When you take it off the Ethernet, it will connect, but says limited or no connectivity? I have tried everything I can think of. I ran the wireless assistant and the brand name of my router (Cyfre) is not listed. If you select other, it will not work. There is nothing wrong with the wireless radio or capabilities b/c I used it at my mothers house this week. Does this mean the hp is not going to be compatible? Or am I missing something? Windows firewall is set to allow it. I can't think of anything else that would block it. I have not tried turning the Antivirus software off, but I don't think that is the problem b/c it works great at my moms house. Any ideas on what it could be? I'm hoping its a simple setting that I am just forgetting about. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Router compatibility help
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Router compatibility help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
My laptop does that.

Straight out of the box it would have those popups of limited connectivity. If I plug in my ethernet, that box would go away but then the wifi interface would complain.

If you think about it, it makes sense. What doesn't make sense is that they deliver it configured to annoy owners. Sadly I think we'll have to get the machines to work like toasters or learn where to turn off the popups.
Bob

- Collapse -
What do you do?

So, do you just stay hardwired? I have no internet access wirelessly at all. It kinda takes away the point of a wireless router and a computer with wi-fi.

- Collapse -
Is the wireless . . .

radio in the laptop turned on?

- Collapse -
Are you serious?

Of course the radio is turned on, I may not be a computer genius, but I not a dummy either. This morning neither computer will use the wireless signal. I think I need to hire a pro to come out and set it up.

- Collapse -
Be serious.

Look at your posts and all the gritty details are missing.

No model numbers of what you are working with.
No operating system noted in the OS. Vista has issues with wifi which we write about in the Networking forum sticky.
No details about your wifi configuration (no security, wep, wpa, etc.)

All I'm left with is the complaint about the limited connectivity popups and that I find it annoying they configured it to annoy people.

Your choice to make a seriously complete post.
Bob

- Collapse -
?

I wasn't talking to you about being serious. If you noticed there was a post asking if the radio was on. That's what I was referring to. I asked you a question about what you did about it? I always seen to find the forums that don't really want to help. Maybe it's an ego thing? I am running xp on the hp and vista on the dell. Now neither will work. I have a cyfre router that I bought directly from Alltel. I am not at home, but I can get you any models numbers you need, although I don't really think you want to help me.

I have set up the router correctly. I have set up wireless networks at my mom's house 3 times. With no problems.

- Collapse -
(NT) Got SSID turned on?
- Collapse -
I don't need the model numbers.

You are the one in need and to get the best replies these details help others see if there is some setting or known issue with the make/model of the products.

When you leave the details out you will get vague generalized replies.
Bob

- Collapse -
Re: limited connectivity

One of the general cures is to tell it the right encryption and password.

Kees

- Collapse -
You can be that pro.

Let me share that I setup my wifi routers exactly like our forum sticky asks.

I take the router defaults, set the security to WPA and pick a password.

On the VISTA machines I make the changes noted in our forum sticky just in cause and then I connect up.
Bob

- Collapse -
HP laptop

Make sure your wireless drivers are updated on the HP.

CNET Forums