Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Router "Blocking" websites / web port numbers needed?

by landroid / October 6, 2004 12:34 PM PDT

Hi all...
My Netgear RP614 v.2 router has begun "disallowing" certain sites to be accessed, with no changes or input from me. The biggest site in question is USPS.com, which is a vital part of running my business. I can access the site with the router bypassed. I have upgraded the router's software, reset all defaults, adjusted MTU, etc., with no results. I spoke with Netgear and they suggested that I will need to obtain the USPS.com port number(s) and manually input them into the router. My question is how do I obtain such port numbers, and how do I input them into the router, "forcing" it to allow that site?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Router "Blocking" websites / web port numbers needed?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Router "Blocking" websites / web port numbers needed?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Router "Blocking" websites / web port numbers needed?
by Michael Geist / October 6, 2004 6:36 PM PDT

Are you sure this a router issue and not some firewall preventing access?

Collapse -
by landroid / October 6, 2004 10:35 PM PDT

Michael, no other changes have been made to the network (which is really only two PCs and the router) that I can think of that would have caused this problem. I did install XP service pack 2 on ONE of the machines, but not the other, but both are having the problem, and had been since before the SP2 install. Manually turning the SP2 firewall off on the one box does not improve things.

Collapse -
Are you using Internet Explorer?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2004 10:46 PM PDT

Some hijackers do that.

Try Firefox to be sure.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Are you using Internet Explorer?
by landroid / October 6, 2004 11:03 PM PDT

Hey Bob -- same problem with Firefox. Again, I can access the site when I bypass the router and plug the modem directly into a machine.

Collapse -
There's more...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2004 11:06 PM PDT

That's a lot more clues.

You now can TRACEROUTE and PINGPATH (or is it PATHPING?) to see where it fails.

Your TCPIP skills will come in handy now.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: There's more...
by landroid / October 7, 2004 2:23 AM PDT
In reply to: There's more...

This is definitely an area I don't know much about... Allt the traces I ran, though, stop at srp-8-1-ur01.royaloak.mi.mich.comcast.net , which I assume is where my Comcast connection originates. Then I get lines with stars. ????

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 7, 2004 2:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: There's more...

And same results without the router?

There may be a clue here.

1. Is the firmware in the router current?

2. Is there some firewall is said router?

3. Did you put the MAC address of your PC into the Router? (check the manual...)

Bob

Collapse -
by landroid / October 7, 2004 4:05 AM PDT

And same results without the router?
--Actually, I didn't try tracing yet with the router bypassed...

--Yes

--The router (netgear RP614 v.2) does have some kind of built-in firewall.

3. Did you put the MAC address of your PC into the Router? (check the manual...)
--No, everything was auto-configured, totally plug and play. That's what bothers me; I made no changes to the router before the problem started. I'm not even sure how to manually input a MAC address (or what it is exactly -- please forgive my ignorance!).

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 7, 2004 4:20 AM PDT

--Yes

SUPER!

--The router (netgear RP614 v.2) does have some kind of built-in firewall.

It can interfere. Be aware that turning it off is not a bad thing. You still get the benefits of the NAT Firewall feature.

--No, everything was auto-configured, totally plug and play. That's what bothers me; I made no changes to the router before the problem started. I'm not even sure how to manually input a MAC address (or what it is exactly -- please forgive my ignorance!)."

I'd have to read your manual about this. What can confound us is that "we" didn't change a thing... But that NAT address can be seen in Windows XP if we open a command window (Start, Run, CMD, enter...) and type...

ARP -A

Here's mine.

C:\>arp -a

Interface: 192.168.0.110 --- 0x2
Internet Address Physical Address Type
192.168.0.1 00-0f-3d-00-4d-39 dynamic

That physical MAC address may be required in your router, but I can't know this since I am not your ISP. But it is one of the things I always set.

Bob

Collapse -
by upbeatdad / October 9, 2004 5:38 AM PDT

You really should dig into the manual that came with the router. To enter the router configuration you need to have an Internet browser window open (Internet Explorer, Netscape, Mozilla, or AOL). In the address space type: http://192.168.0.1 - then 'Enter'.

You'll need the default login name and password that Netgear supplied with the router. Typically the username is 'Admin' and the default password is 'password'. You'll want to change that password on your first login.

This would also be an excellent time to set up some security between the router and the wireless devices. If your PC cards accept WAP security, use it because it is the most difficult to hack. If not, use WEP security, preferably the 128-bit variety.

The problem with installing setting up a wireless network by just 'plug-n-play' is that some important features like the firewall, security, etc., never get implemented.

Collapse -
Try to reset the router
by Melati Hitam / October 7, 2004 5:26 AM PDT

Take a note of your current IP address (ipconfig /all in the command prompt) -- (sometimes you will get wrong IP, dns, dns server, gateway, etc.)

Turn it off for a day or two (to let it release the lease time)

Reset the router to the default setting, usually by pressing a small button (look in the manual)

Then try to connect them to the Modem and PC... check your IP again and look for any differences with your previous IP etc.

If you still have problem, try other router IF possible, to see if your router ain't broken.

Good Luck

Collapse -
by tjdonahue / October 7, 2004 10:42 AM PDT

The Postal Service owns the entire 56.XX.XX.XX network and if I go to usps.com the address and port always seem to be

56.0.134.24:80

My local port that connects is always in the 1650 range and I am behind a router.

Not sure what your ISP wants you to do.

Collapse -
Re: Router
by upbeatdad / October 9, 2004 5:25 AM PDT

Do you get the 'red on black' "Blocked by Netgear" screen?
If so, there are two items in the Netgear router configuration you should check. After you log in to the router, check the 'Block Sites' and 'Block Services' items in the left-hand column menu.
'Block sites' lets you block sites that contain keywords that the router administrator selects. For example, I block sites with 'XXX' in the site name, among others. If you have blocking turned on, see what domains and keywords are on your 'blocked' list and remove those you want to get to.
You can turn off site blocking by checking the item that says 'Never', under 'Keyword Blocking'. You can also create exceptions to your blocking rules by putting specific PC's IP addresses in the 'trusted' list at the bottom of the 'block sites' screen center column.
Likewise, check the 'Block Services' item to see if you have this option turned on. Either make an exception for services you want to use, or disable 'Block Services' completely. I have mine shut off completely. I rely on my firewall to block unwanted port activity.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?