Computer Help forum

General discussion

Router and Internet Connectivity help

by ryuuen / September 18, 2008 5:02 AM PDT

My internet connection (DSL 128kbps) stopped working a few days ago. The router(netGear) doesn't detect the internet connection even if the DSL cable is plugged in just right. I already tried replugged the cable, resetting the DSL modem and even trying another router (linksys) but to no avail. I also tried cleaning up the receptors and still it doesn't work. How ever the connection works if you plug the cable in directly to one computer's LAN socket.

We called our ISP provider already and they say that it's not a problem on their side.

Please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Router and Internet Connectivity help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Router and Internet Connectivity help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If It Works When You Plug Directly To The Modem..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 18, 2008 5:07 AM PDT

...then it sounds like you need to replace the router, or did you change some settings on the router.. If nothing else, try turning OFF the computer, then turn OFF the router, then turn OFF the modem.. If there is no on/off switch, unplug them all. Once that's done, wait ten minutes, then turn ON the modem, wait 2 minutes to let it reinitialize, then turn ON the router, wait 2 minutes, then turn ON the computer..

If that doesn't help, try a new router.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
still no avail
by ryuuen / September 18, 2008 11:28 AM PDT

I tried doing your suggestion but there's no improvement at all.
I also tried a new router and it still doesn't work

Collapse -
(NT) Tried New Cables Yet?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 19, 2008 3:29 AM PDT
In reply to: still no avail
Collapse -
still
by ryuuen / September 19, 2008 8:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried New Cables Yet?

yes, I did try new cables too. But still not working

Collapse -
DSL Issues
by helljack6 / September 19, 2008 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: still

Is there a reset button on your netgear router? If so, try this:

While holding the reset button in, unplug the power, wait 20 seconds while keeping the reset button pushed, plug the power back in, wait another 20 seconds while still holding the reset button, then release.

When you connect directly to the DSL modem, can you browse to a webpage, use any messaging programs or anything like that?

Also, where are your filters plugged in at? They should be plugged into every phone port EXCEPT the one that feeds the DSL signal to the modem. And there shouldn't be on anywhere in the chain between the modem, router and the computer. I know it sounds obvious, but you really didn't describe your set up so I can only speculate.

Collapse -
Try this
by PudgyOne / September 19, 2008 12:37 PM PDT
In reply to: still

Tale the ethernet cable from the DSL Modem and connect it your computer. Turn off the wireless and restart your computer.

Do you connect now using just the DSL Modem and the ethernet cable connected to your computer?

Rick

Collapse -
What you know.
by Renegade Knight / September 20, 2008 1:04 AM PDT

You know it's not the computer.
you now it's not the ISP.
You checked 2 routers and the problem remains. it's probably not the router.
You tried a new cable. No change.

the only thing you haven't tried is your DSL modem.

The process of eliminatino works.
First try the reset mentioned above on both the router and modem. It's cheap if it fixed the problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.