PC Hardware forum

Question

Router

by Mimmy-care / October 22, 2014 8:22 AM PDT

Can anyone help me with the idea of building a router using network interface card...meaning that the card will be able to do the primary function of router with the system...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2014 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Router

But we'll need other cards and WiFi to do the routing to. And a PC. Linux does this very well, so let's get started.
Bob

Collapse -
How to build a router
by Mimmy-care / October 22, 2014 6:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Sure.

So how do I start...what's the leading move...

Collapse -
Re: building a router
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 22, 2014 6:59 PM PDT
In reply to: How to build a router

I'd start with downloading the sources of the open source program Virtual Router. It runs in Windows also.
Then all you've got to do is implement it with the hardware and OS of your choice.

Kees

Collapse -
Router
by Mimmy-care / October 22, 2014 6:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Sure.

Please, which means I have to learn how to use Linux, because am basically a novice to programming...how do I find it a bit easy...thanks

Collapse -
Great way to learn.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2014 8:21 PM PDT

Networking itself is a year or so of learning so given the time you're going to invest, it's going to be a few years to create your own custom router.

Why not use a ready to use 20 buck router or Virtual Router like everyone else? While I applaud folk that want to learn a lot more, you're going to be investing a lot of time into this.
Bob

Collapse -
Router
by Mimmy-care / October 25, 2014 2:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Great way to learn.

It is not necessarily to be a router. I am only trying to demonstrate how to configure a network interface care in order to perform the basic function if a router. Because I am new to this. Thanks for your support

Collapse -
The thing is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2014 2:32 AM PDT

That a network card in a PC running say Windows does not perform as a router without more software. That is while there is the route add command line is there, it does not do what the common router does.

Therefore this is not a basic function of the card or Windows!
Bob

Collapse -
Clear method
by Mimmy-care / October 27, 2014 2:46 AM PDT
In reply to: The thing is

So, please what methods do you suggest I implement. Thanks

Collapse -
Each according to their skills.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2014 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Clear method

At this point we've gone over the usual solutions so what's stopping you might be your current experience level. That is, it took this long to get here and my bet is it may take a few more months for you to gain enough experience to accomplish your goal.

Keep at it. Keep learning.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
dd-wrt
by James Denison / October 26, 2014 6:01 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.