General discussion

Rotating Video?

When a video is taken on a digital camera in Landscape mode, and then played in Winamp or WMP, how does one rotate the screen so that the video is viewable without cricking the neck? I have checked all the controls that I am aware of in these two players, but have not come up with a solution yet, and my wife is giving me hell! Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Rotating Video?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Rotating Video?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
One can't rotate the screen. One doesn't take videos

in 'landscape' mode. I assume that by 'landscape' mode, you mean turning the camera on its side.

- Collapse -
Operator Error?

My son took the short videos with a Canon Ixus 400, but must have held the camera vertical, and the playback in WMP or Winamp is not able to be flipped, I assume? However, this camera produced a very good video mode.

- Collapse -
I stand corrected. You can indeed rotate video. It isn't

much of a picture since it is very narrow, but you can do it.

- Collapse -
VIRTUAL DUB does that.

But I offer no support for such other than to note it does this as well as "documented on the web."

Bob

- Collapse -
I know one way to do it.

A company called Photodex

http://www.photodex.com

sells an excellent slide show software package called ProShow Gold.

You can also add video clips to a slide show:

I put an .avi video clip in a slide show.
I used the "slide" control feature (Ken Burns effect) to rotate the video clip to 90 degrees (you can rotate to any degree).

I then choose to create a video output in .mpg format.
ProShow Gold then generated the .mpg file. (you can also create a DVD or VCD if you have a burner)

I used Windows Media Player to play the .mpg file.
It worked perfectly....I viewed a movie rotated 90 degrees.

The software package ProShow Gold costs about $80 but they have a free trial download that you can try for a short period of time.

Long enough for you to rotate your video.

The problem is, you will have to spend some time learning how to use the program. It is not difficult to learn, it is just that it has so many features.

Be sure to download "ProShow Gold"...as they also have a cheaper version called just "ProShow"...that does not have the rotate capability.

- Collapse -
Wrong

No, it will not let rotate to any degree, just like ALL the others its only 90 degrees

- Collapse -
Right.

Worked for me years ago. I'm locking this nearly 10 year post.

- Collapse -
QuickTime Pro will do it...

It is about $30 but I have rotated many a video clip that I shot with my Panasonic LC20. It can accept .avi, .mov, motion jpegs, .mpeg and just about anything else.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime

- Collapse -
flipping mpg

try avi video converter
it does it easiley

- Collapse -
Quicktime Movie Rotator

You can rotate Quicktime videos on Windows using Movie Rotator. On a Mac the easiest way is with Quicktime PRO, but you must pay for that.

- Collapse -
Google Picasa

Picasa will rotate .avi files; can't speak to .mov or .mpg, since I have no experience with those. Picasa also has the distinct benefit of being free.

- Collapse -
rotating video

I have a copy of ACDSee Pro, an image organizer and RAW converter. It's built in video player allows you to rotate the video and resave the file. Found that out quite by accident the other day.

CNET Forums