General discussion

Rotating lcd screen any advantage?

I have short listed 2 cameras, Sony dsc-v3 and cannon g6. I am partial to sony because of brand loyalty. I have done a lot of research, and from what I can tell, these 2 cameras and very similar, with each having their own strenghts and weaknesses. My question is: Does the rotating lcd screen offered by the G6 offer any real world advantages over the 2.5" fixed screen on the sony? I have looked at both cameras, and I know I would be happy with either, I would just like to hear from someone that has used the rotating lcd screen. Thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Rotating lcd screen any advantage?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Rotating lcd screen any advantage?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I have used the Nikon 4500 which has a rotating body

which allows the lense to point in one direction, and the lcd in another. I have found this to be VERY useful. If you are taking candids, and don't want it to be obvious, most people won't even notice the camera because you look down while it looks up. Another case is when is is difficult to see the lcd when the camera is in a desired position. It sets you free from having to be behind the lens.

- Collapse -
Rotating LCD

I have this feature on my Nikon 8700 and I really like it. My friend has a Minolta with a fixed LCD. She complains of scratches and dirt on the screen. This is never a problem when you can swivel the screen to a closed position. I highly recommend it!

CNET Forums

Forum Info