Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Rookie needs advice about which camcorder to purchase

I'm looking to purchase a camcorder to conduct genealogical interviews. I've never owed one and I want something that is easy to use, compatible with software for video editing and can be used is less than bright light. I'll be recording indoors for the most part. I want to keep the purchase price under $750. I hope someone can give me a few tips.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Rookie needs advice about which camcorder to purchase
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Rookie needs advice about which camcorder to purchase
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
start here...

In reply to: Rookie needs advice about which camcorder to purchase

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/ratings.php

You are looking for the largest imaging chip (CMOS or CCD) area you can afford (1 big chip or 3 chips together). You should consider an external mic-jack - and add an external mic to your budget. And a tripod. And possibly an extra high-capacity battery.

While the 2007 models have been announced, they may not be listed here - but you can read about them at http://www.camcorderinfo.com - many of them are not yet available.

Pretty much all consumer camcorders are "easy to use, compatible with software for video editing and can be used is less than bright light."

What video editing application do you plan to use? Does your computer have a FireWire connection? Do you have a lot of available hard drive space? Does your computer have a DVD burner? Do not even think abut the DVD-based camcorders.

When "low light" capabilities are discussed - it is generally in terms of really low, dim, "murky" light. "Typical" indoor light - with some lights on or the curtains/blinds/shutters open during the day, does not normally fall into the category of "low light".
Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: start here...

Thanks for the quick reply. I had planned on the external mic. I already have mics and a mixing board as well as a tripod. I plan to purchase a computer to be used with this set up and will make sure it has a FireWire connection. Thanks for the tip on the battery. I also plan to stay away from DVD-based camcorders. I've been doing some basic research on software but I have not found one I'm sure about yet. I'm just starting to flesh this all out. I want to be able to do these interviews, utilize old photos, old records, etc. in order to produce family history packages. I've been doing audio reacordings for some time but I want to branch out and offer more.

Collapse -
All the more reason to go minDV.

In reply to: Thanks

The tapes are far more robust than DVDs or hard drives. They are also inexpensive storage. One good scratch or drop/bounce and the other types of storage could be irretreivably damaged.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.