Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Romney's opponents not happy that he

by Steven Haninger / September 21, 2012 6:54 PM PDT

did not take total allowable deductions?

Romney's charitable donations at 30 percent last year

So he gave 30% to charity but didn't take the full write off so that his total liability would remain above his claimed minimum over the past several years. He paid more in taxes than he could have and still people complain. How petty can some people be?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Romney's opponents not happy that he
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Romney's opponents not happy that he
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That should be a RED FLAG for IRS
by JP Bill / September 21, 2012 8:25 PM PDT

Romney lied?

I thought he said he took all the deductions he was entitled to?

Now it appears he didn't....I wonder why? Something fishy is going on.

Collapse -
Romney doesn't claim enough
by TONI H / September 21, 2012 8:48 PM PDT

'charitable contributions' and he should be red flagged to the IRS, but Charlie Rangel doesn't claim enough actual 'INCOME" and he's let off the hook with liberals. Wonderful.

Collapse -
It's a cruel world out there.
by JP Bill / September 21, 2012 8:54 PM PDT

I don't know why I don't spend more time sleeping.

Collapse -
Shades of demands for
by Steven Haninger / September 21, 2012 9:29 PM PDT

the long form birth certificate? I'm suspecting that Romney's foes will want to scrutinize and criticize those he gave money to. Some people can do no wrong and others can do no right. I'd not be at all unhappy if the IRS looked into this. Maybe they'd insist he accept a refund.

Collapse -
sadly a natural outcome of today's extreme partisanship
by Roger NC / September 22, 2012 2:39 AM PDT

He actually paid more than he might have to avoid 'lying' about the taxes he has paid. Sad he thought it necessary, sadder he probably guess right that if his % had been a point lower than his previous estimates that would be political fodder too.

Collapse -
Maybe we have more than leadership problems
by Steven Haninger / September 22, 2012 2:48 AM PDT

Maybe we have citizenship issues too.

Collapse -
No end to speculation
by Steven Haninger / September 22, 2012 5:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
Don't really know amended returns
by Roger NC / September 22, 2012 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: No end to speculation

but it wouldn't surprise me if that applied.

The little bit I've read about amended returns seem to say the only really requirement was to pay taxes due, or more. Just like with filing for an extension, you can delay filing but not paying what you will owe.

Collapse -
I have filed these
by Steven Haninger / September 22, 2012 11:51 PM PDT

and, in my case, I owed additional taxes due to tardy paperwork regarding distribution of funds from some trust on which my wife was listed. When I did this, I actually knew the paperwork would be forthcoming but I was due a substantial refund so filed quickly to get the cash ASAP. I filed the amended returns after having cash in hand thus avoiding months of delay. As for Romney planning to do this after the dust has settled, I think that's media foolishness again. They have no story and nothing on the man other than he's wealthy enough to have more complexity when it comes to his tax liability. This gives the media plenty of opportunity to spread seeds of doubt about his honesty.

Collapse -
There's no legal requirement to declare charitable donations
by Josh K / September 22, 2012 11:47 PM PDT

You can, but you don't have to. You DO have to report your income, much of which Romney has hidden in offshore accounts. Did he break the law there? We won't know unless he releases his pre-2010 tax records. There was an amnesty in 2009. Did he need to take advantage of that to avoid penalties for that hidden money? We don't know, do we.

Collapse -
(NT) 'hidden'?? good grief......
by TONI H / September 23, 2012 12:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yes, "hidden"
by Josh K / September 23, 2012 8:44 AM PDT

Hence the term "tax shelter."

Collapse -
"hidden....tax shelter" = tax cheat in your opinion
by TONI H / September 23, 2012 9:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, "hidden"

regarding his taxes....

"sealed....paid off" = cheat, liar, not-so-transparent in MY opinion regarding BO's past.

Collapse -
Try to stay focused, Toni
by Josh K / September 23, 2012 10:50 PM PDT

We are not talking about "BO" (though if HE was refusing to release his tax returns and had money HIDDEN in offshore and Swiss accounts,.......well, you know what you'd be saying).

Collapse -
Yes, try to stay focused, Josh
by TONI H / September 23, 2012 11:31 PM PDT

Romney's opponents aren't happy about what he hasn't released.....BO's opponents aren't happy with what HE hasn't released. Same argument.......two sides. We both think the other side has something to hide......no solution in sight for either argument even though neither side has done anything illegal.

Collapse -
The difference, again.....
by Josh K / September 24, 2012 12:13 AM PDT

......is that Obama hasn't released something that no other president or candidate has ever released or been asked to. Romney is refusing to release something that every candidate for the last 40+ years has released.

Good grades in college are not a prerequisite for the presidency (though we do know that Obama graduated Harvard Magna_***_Laude, which is the second-highest honor you can get).

Compliance with tax laws is a different story.

Collapse -
Poor BO..he'll always be second best LOL
by TONI H / September 24, 2012 1:26 AM PDT

In the case of the Presidency, he never made it to first place........he's lowered the standard for himself to below Carter so that's saying something at least.

Collapse -
If Romney wasn't in
by TONI H / September 24, 2012 1:40 AM PDT

compliance with the tax laws after 20+ years worth of tax returns given to John McCain, don't you think the IRS would have already nailed him? God knows, he's got enough money to go after. LOL

Unfortunately, although you may WANT to see what has become the NORM of presenting more than two years worth of taxes to qualify for the Presidency, Josh, it ISN'T the LAW to do so. Romney hasn't broken any laws.

As for the college records.......Dems wanted Bush's records both for college and for the military and he voluntarily gave them up, and the Dems had a field day with them. It didn't help them any, but they had fun anyhow. In BO's case, he PAID to have his all sealed and refuses to ante up.......and I can't believe (ok...I lied...I DO believe) that liberals don't care if they never see what HE'S hiding in them all. I don't care what status he had when he graduated from Harvard.....I want to know how he GOT INTO all those elite schools to begin with when he admitted in his own book about himself that he was stoned and hazy for the last two years of high school. Did somebody buy him a seat....did he get in under affirmative action....did he actually qualify for loans to those private schools.....did he get unstoned in time to get a scholarship (I hardly think so)...did he PAY somebody to take his tests for him?. So many questions unanswered, and you aren't even a LITTLE bit curious????? You don't think it's strange that Michelle would stand up on the stage and talk about how poor they were when they first started out with an ironing board as a dining room table?.......and yet the FACTS (I linked to the massive write up in a previous post) shows that BO has ALWAYS been well-off and lived in very upscale areas.

Collapse -
RE: don't you think the IRS would have already nailed him?
by JP Bill / September 24, 2012 1:43 AM PDT
In reply to: If Romney wasn't in

How do you know they didn't?

Collapse -
(NT) do you know if they did?
by James Denison / September 24, 2012 1:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
If they did
by TONI H / September 24, 2012 2:35 AM PDT

it won't show up on any tax return here JP.......it would be something handled/settled/negotiated between him and the IRS and kept confidential or tried in a court which would be public record (and there is nothing in the court system).......So having his tax records wouldn't show you a damn thing......but it might give bragging rights to the Dems for putting enough 'heat' on Romney that he caved and brought them forward. That ain't happening so get over it. Please either learn or research our laws before you try your antagonistic crap posts.

Collapse -
how is that any different from
by James Denison / September 24, 2012 1:56 AM PDT

keeping it locked away at home instead in a strong safe?

Collapse -
RE: tax cheat in your opinion
by JP Bill / September 23, 2012 11:35 PM PDT

"cheat"?...How bout not totally honest?

In the opinion of the IRS also?

Amnesty

A pardon extended by the government to a group or class of persons, usually for a political offense; the act of a sovereign power officially forgiving certain classes of persons who are subject to trial but have not yet been convicted"

Collapse -
That's IF he did take the amnesty.
by JP Bill / September 23, 2012 11:37 PM PDT

which he could disprove IF he released his tax returns.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.