General discussion

Romney doesn't understand why airplane windows don't open

Seriously.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-romney-beverly-hills-fundraiser-20120922,0,2317962.story

Romney's wife, Ann, was in attendance, and the candidate spoke of the concern he had for her when her plane had to make an emergency landing Friday en route to Santa Monica because of an electrical malfunction.

"I appreciate the fact that she is on the ground, safe and sound. And I don't think she knows just how worried some of us were," Romney said. "When you have a fire in an aircraft, there's no place to go, exactly, there's no — and you can't find any oxygen from outside the aircraft to get in the aircraft, because the windows don't open. I don't know why they don't do that. It's a real problem. So it's very dangerous. And she was choking and rubbing her eyes. Fortunately, there was enough oxygen for the pilot and copilot to make a safe landing in Denver. But she's safe and sound."

I bet even Sarah Palin knows why you can't open the windows in an airplane. Holey moley....

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Romney doesn't understand why airplane windows don't open
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Romney doesn't understand why airplane windows don't open
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Even more evidence that the Romney's shouldn't

be allowed anywhere near the White House. I'm sure everyone here appreciates your bringing all these things to their attention just in case they were considering him for their vote. We should never elect a person who's spouse doesn't understand why airplane windows are sealed shut. Thanks for the warning. Wink

- Collapse -
It wasn't his wife who didn't understand it.

It was him.

- Collapse -
Oh...you're right

I do suspect he was talking about when the plane was already on the ground and not while in the air. Surely no one would try to open a window at 30k feet...would they? Mitt? Wink

- Collapse -
Even on the ground it isn't a good idea....

......to allow passenger windows to open, for all kinds of reasons.

Perhaps Mitt can sit down with the 1968 film "Airport" for a taste of what happens when you open a hole in the side of a plane at altitude. Especially if Dean Martin is flying it. Wink

- Collapse -
Well, I imagine the windows

in the oval office don't open either and, if Mitt ever makes it there, he'll have that fixed...with his own money of course.

- Collapse -
The more I think about it

I'd expect Mitt was thinking about his wife's medical condition. She may suffer more than some when when oxygen levels are low. People don't always think clearly when loved ones are in distress. We could have a heart here...maybe just once.

- Collapse -
Let's take up a collection

Buy him an airplane that he can open the windows.

- Collapse -
I think you'd rather buy him one that,

when you press the down button for his window, opens a bomb bay door under him. Wink

- Collapse -
here we go again

the Republican candidate is stupid according to Josh. When it was Bush, he was stupid because again according to Josh, Bush couldn't read! Same old same old!

- Collapse -
Hold on Glenda...Steven misread the article

Not Bush.

- Collapse -
Don't blame me

It's not my fault your party keeps nominating stupid people. I don't vote for them.

Silly

- Collapse -
LOL, Yeah right

lets see the Dems put in one that has lust in his heart, another one that can't keep it in his pants and gets BJ's in the Oval Office and now we have the current one that doesn't put his hand over his heart when the National athem is played and his wife who has never been proud of America! I think there may be a shortage of brains on the Dem side tooHappy

- Collapse -
"Lust in his heart" was just silly

We all do that; it doesn't make us bad people, just human. Carter's mistake, apparently, was admitting to it. That was WAY overblown and I'm no fan of Jimmy Carter.

The rest is just Fox News blathering.

At least we know Mitt Romney is proud of America, which is why he keeps his money in foreign banks, and opens factories in China and India. Wink

- Collapse -
Fox news?

I don't and never have watched Fox newsHappy We haven't had cable in at least 20 years. Carter IMO could take home the Darwin award.

- Collapse -
(NT) So where do you get your news?
- Collapse -
Local news

the internet, newspapers, Does that matter?

- Collapse -
Just Curious since it's been reiterated here

over and over that all the other main stream media, also referred to by may as the lame stream media, doesn't say anything nice about conservatives and are only propaganda machines for the liberal agenda.

I just can't imagine you tolerating a liberal agenda.

I would have bet on 80% or more from the internet. Nothing wrong with that actually, except the internet has a real danger as a news source. We all tend to read internet sites we agree with already.

Reading the other opinion sites is generally just to find ways to ridicule them.

The internet gives us more sources, reliable or not, more available opinions, more different views than ever available without it. However, it seems to me that it fosters splinterization and polarization more anything else because everyone can find some group that thinks exactly the same as they do. Without civil exposure to other opinions and open discussion without rancor partisanship, indeed extremism, is bound to increase the divides between different fractions.

- Collapse -
Actually

I watch CBS news in the morning and afternoon and Jim watches Channel 10 News which is the Fox channel, local news. I really don't need to be spoon fed on the news I watch, I am capable of deciphering when it is news and when it's the newscasters opinionHappy

- Collapse -
another comment...

Can you tell me a major business that doesn't have business in other countries? Or any person with money that ONLY keeps his money here in the USA???

- Collapse -
Doing business in other countries....

......is not the same thing as opening factories in other countries so you can avoid paying American workers, and probably avoid American workplace safety and environmental laws.

I'm willing to bet that there are plenty of wealthy Americans who don't have Swiss bank accounts.

- Collapse -
since Swiss banks

keep it private about who and how much they have in an account, how do you know this?

- Collapse -
RE: jp...

Glenda...I've read your latest post to me.

Glad to see you're speaking to me again.

- Collapse -
I said I was willing to bet on it

I didn't say I knew for a fact.

I think it's safe to guess that there are a lot of rich Americans who pay their taxes and don't go through elaborate schemes to hide their money (yes, Toni, HIDE) from the government by stashing it in offshore accounts.

What I do know for a fact is that Mitt Romney is the first presidential candidate ever to have those kinds of accounts, and that if Obama was hiding (yes, Toni, HIDING) his money that way you would be all over him for his "anti-American" tax schemes.

- Collapse -
(NT) See the riot at Foxconn?
- Collapse -
Josh, do you feel...

Josh, do you feel the same way about Apple, and their having iPhones built in China?

- Collapse -
If the CEO of Apple.....

.....was running for president on a platform that decries the loss of American jobs to "foreigners," then yes, I would call him out as a hypocrite too.

- Collapse -
Well, since it's illegal, most individuals keep their money

in a US bank. It is illegal for a US citizen to have a Swiss or Cayman or Channel Islands or Luxembourg account. There was a great furore (sic) here at SE over the IRS paying a $104 Million bounty to an American banker for UBS who blew the Whistle on UBS (United Bank of Switzerland) after serving his time for helping rich people to off-shore their money The IRS collected $5 Billion in unpaid taxes from 130 something wealthy tax dodgers.

I said at the time that if Bush wanted to solve the debt crisis, he should have invaded Switzerland, not Iraq.

Rob

- Collapse -
Are you sure about that, Rob....

Rob are you sure that it is illegal? A quick check shows:
"There are no restrictions in the United States against having a Swiss bank account, or any other offshore account for that matter. But, current IRS regulations require U.S. persons to reveal all foreign accounts when they file their annual income tax if more than a total of $10,000 is held in overseas accounts."
Source:
http://money.howstuffworks.com/personal-finance/banking/swiss-bank-account6.htm

- Collapse -
Thanks J

for doing the researchHappy

CNET Forums