Phones forum

General discussion

Rollin' the dice

by itsdigger / March 20, 2014 6:05 AM PDT

I'm not one to talk on the phone all day ,only a little here and there. I might us an hour a month and maybe 2oo text messages a month and really only use wifi once in awhile but almost no data from my monthly plan . My contract is up with Verizon wireless now and I want to lose that $96.00 a month phone bill. So I'm gonna go on the CHEAP and try this company called Ting I've been hearing about on the net. -> https://ting.com/r/glyde#homeBanner and wonder if anyone here has had any experience with them. I live in Chicago

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Rollin' the dice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Rollin' the dice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sharing what I use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2014 6:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Rollin' the dice

Kyocera Rise on Virgin Mobile at 35 a month. I used it on a trip with a GPS Real Time Tracker and never came close to it's limits. But it didn't work in Wyoming at all.
Bob

Collapse -
I was in Wyoming
by itsdigger / March 20, 2014 6:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Sharing what I use.

about 15 months ago for an army buddy reunion and my Verizon didn't work either , huge spaces between cell towers there. Montana too

Digger

Collapse -
Montana too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2014 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: I was in Wyoming

But our Tracfone did work. Very strange but Tracfone seems to have better coverage than I expected.

Virgin Mobile bill? 35 a month.
Bob

Collapse -
Really rollin' the dice now lol
by itsdigger / March 23, 2014 11:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Montana too.

I purchased an i5 iphone from ebay ,supposed to be in like new condition (yeah right) for $100 so when I get it , I'll give Ting a shot and let ya know how it turns out.

Digger

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for that. Always nice to compare notes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2014 1:31 PM PDT
Collapse -
Hopefully it doesn't have sand in it ;) [n/t]
by Pepe7 / March 24, 2014 2:15 AM PDT

n/t

Collapse -
Sand?
by itsdigger / March 24, 2014 2:19 AM PDT

Enlighten me sir

Collapse -
nevermind
by itsdigger / March 24, 2014 2:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Sand?

I get it .You got me man ! Silly

Collapse -
You haven't lived in Chicago long enough if...
by Pepe7 / March 24, 2014 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: nevermind

...you haven't also had 'guys in a parked white van' offer you a 'super deal' on speakers too (LOL).

Seriously though- you will definitely enjoy the 5 when you get it(!)

-P

Collapse -
Ya just caught me off guard lol
by itsdigger / March 24, 2014 3:52 AM PDT

born here in 1955. Had a guy try to sell me a TV just last week.

Well, I hope it comes with a manual at least, if not I'll be buggin you guys.
I'm more curious about Ting . You know what they say about "If it sounds too good to be true" , we'll see Pepe.

Digger

Collapse -
You should be fine
by Pepe7 / March 24, 2014 5:13 AM PDT

As long as the parent, Sprint provides you w/ a signal in your part of Chi-town, you are good to go w/ Ting. They only thing they don't offer is data roaming, which a lot of (regular) Sprint network users rely upon when they travel nationally AFAIK.

Collapse -
Thanks Pepe
by itsdigger / March 24, 2014 5:19 AM PDT
In reply to: You should be fine

I'll let you guy's know how it turn out and let ya know after a month or so if I like Ting.
Digger

Collapse -
Great
by itsdigger / March 25, 2014 10:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Rollin' the dice

Got the phone but without a Sim card so now I have to find a Sprint sim card somewhere and a special screw driver for these Dinky screws. It's not supposed to be difficult Shocked

Digger

Collapse -
Ahh, no sim card for Sprint.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2014 10:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Great
Collapse -
I just called them
by itsdigger / March 25, 2014 10:41 AM PDT

they said I can get the sim from a Sprint store or Best Buy. Ting is out of stock right now lol

Digger

Collapse -
Try it this way. Could be free?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2014 10:48 AM PDT
In reply to: I just called them
Collapse -
Bob.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / March 25, 2014 10:56 AM PDT

I see Digger said iphone 5?

Dafydd.

Collapse -
SIM is a SIM
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2014 11:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Bob.

No harm in asking for one. Although I haven't used a SIM on Sprint yet. Tells you how much the landscape changes.

Collapse -
True.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / March 25, 2014 11:06 AM PDT
In reply to: SIM is a SIM

I read your link to Ting and it lists the i5 as compatible. But here's a man who doesn't own a mobile phone

Dafydd.

Collapse -
I know it's compatible
by itsdigger / March 25, 2014 12:14 PM PDT
In reply to: True.

I talked to them before I purchased the phone. That's why I purchased it. The didn't happen to mention anything about a sim card though.

The phones a real beauty, not a mark on it. Turns right on and says gimme a sim card lol. Hooks right up to my wifi though.

We'll get her going. Just a matter of time.

Digger

Collapse -
Did you know there are different iphone 5 model?
by Oldartq / March 25, 2014 1:28 PM PDT
In reply to: I know it's compatible

I think the one that uses the GSM have sim card and the the one uses CDMA do not need sim card. Now I could be wrong but I think Sprint uses CDMA now and that maybe the reason it's hard to get a sim card and why some sales men don't know what you are talking about (they're just not familiar with that).

Collapse -
didn't know that
by itsdigger / March 25, 2014 1:48 PM PDT

I never owned an Apple product before so I thought what the hell for a hundred bucks how could I go wrong, I'll see what all the hubub is about ...Now I'm on a wild goose chase looking for some stupid card lol. Laugh

I just paid my phone bill with Verizon for a month so I have plenty of time to find one, I don't care if it does cost me $30 , I'm done paying Verizon 96 bucks a month.

Digger

Collapse -
Are you already a Sprint customer?
by Oldartq / March 25, 2014 4:34 PM PDT
In reply to: didn't know that

If not, and you can't activate this phone with them then maybe you should consider changing provider. I know AT&T uses the GSM technology.

Collapse -
lol
by itsdigger / March 25, 2014 10:38 PM PDT

maybe read the op .

Digger

Collapse -
Chat won't talk
by itsdigger / March 25, 2014 11:09 AM PDT
In reply to: SIM is a SIM

to me because I don't have a Sprint phone number. Hmm , I might have to see if one of my friends uses Sprint.

Digger

Collapse -
Hold on- yes, it does need a USIM
by Pepe7 / March 26, 2014 1:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Chat won't talk

For those reading this thread who don't know it yet, the Sprint version of the iPhone 5 contains both GSM & CDMA flavors under the hood. In addition, in order to use Sprint's LTE (highest speed data) network, a UICC chip (=nano-SIM card) is required. Either a Sprint store or Apple store can give you one, but likely for a fee since you are a prepaid customer. I suppose that's one drawback of working with a prepaid MVNO and buying a used phone from fleabay.

You don't need a screwdriver to open the nano-SIM slot, btw. Just a paper clip. There's a small hole on the side Wink

Collapse -
Forgot to add one thing
by Pepe7 / March 26, 2014 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Chat won't talk

The GSM side of the Sprint branded iPhone 5 is locked for domestic use, so IOW, you cannot simply use w/ ATT or T-Mobile. .

Collapse -
Thanks for that
by itsdigger / March 26, 2014 1:24 AM PDT

I'm glad I don't need a screwdriver for this , The head of the screws are so small that I can't even tell what kind of driver it takes , even with a mag glass. I need new glasses too LOL, too many years up in the tower crane squinting down to the ground I suppose.

I guess I'll go hunting for the elusive sim card today.

Digger

Collapse -
Winner(!) ;) (n/t)
by Pepe7 / March 26, 2014 1:53 AM PDT

n/t

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?