Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Roddy32 at your convenience

by shylaugh / June 12, 2005 9:07 AM PDT

Dell Dimension 4700, Pentium 4, 2.80 GHZ, 80
ATA Hard Drive, 512MB, Windows XP Home Sp2. You have discussed this before but it didn't really answer my question. I am asking you because I know you use Norton AntiVirus and Windows firewall. In Norton 2005 AntiVirus it has Internet Worm Protection which when you install automatically turns off the windows firewall. Under the exception in the windows firewall I can find live update but the worm thing you can't put. I ran a security scan at Shields-up and with the Windows XP firewall all were stealth and passed. With the worn protection on and windows firewall off it showed failed- all stealth except ping. To make a long story shorter with the worm protection off will I still be protected from worms. Thank you for reading this long post after you have already said the worm is not a firewall. Thank you again.
Sandra

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Roddy32 at your convenience
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Roddy32 at your convenience
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi Sandra
by roddy32 / June 12, 2005 9:36 AM PDT

I use NAV 2004 which is different. I was not aware the NAV 2005 turns off the Window's Firewall if you turn on the worm blocking. I would think there would be an option SOMEWHERE in NAV that would allow both but without having that program I can't check it. I can not guarantee that the Firewall is going to block all worms but it will block other things that the worm blocker in NAV does NOT block. IF you can not use both, I would choose the Windows Firewall but like I said, I would really think that you would be able to use both. With NAV 2004 which does NOT have a worm blocker as aggressive as NAV 2005 does and using Windows Firewall, I have never had a worm problem of any kind. I realize that I'm not answering your question completely but with the program in front of me I can't give you a complete answer, Sorry. Maybe somebody else uses both programs can give you a definate answer.

Collapse -
You can not
by shylaugh / June 12, 2005 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Sandra

use both so I will just use the windows firewall. That is the one thing I didn't like about the 2005 version. If the 2004 version doesn't have the worm blocker than I think I can survive without it. Thanks Roddy32 for your quick reply. You are always on top of things. Lucky you and a big thanks, you have saved me a couple of times.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Sandra. :D
by roddy32 / June 12, 2005 10:16 AM PDT
In reply to: You can not
Collapse -
I found this info
by shylaugh / June 12, 2005 10:19 AM PDT

on the Symantec web site.
Technical Information:
Norton Internet Worm Protection is a firewall that protects your computer from incoming Internet traffic. If you have a program that receives data from the Internet, then by default, Internet Worm Protection blocks the incoming traffic, unless you create a rule to allow the program.

So that is all it is. I will use what you are using except for 2004 beings I have 2005 I will use it.

Collapse -
Still might be better off waiting
by roddy32 / June 12, 2005 10:53 AM PDT
In reply to: I found this info

for someone else that has been using that program. I'm pretty sure that Donna does. There are also other alternatives such as Zone Alarm that blocks both ways but I don't know if NAV would allow that either.

Collapse -
NAV 2005
by Rick Beach / June 12, 2005 11:38 AM PDT

I just installed NAV 2005 2days ago. I upgraded from 2002.Not to sure if I like yet or not ,it has slow down my boot time alot ,because of all the extra stuff it loads for the extra detection. As far as NAV 2005,shuting off windows firewall on installation. It don't do that on my XP Home . I have both windows firewall and NAV'S internet
worm protection running at the same time. I need more time to check out NAV 2005 and there features.

Rick

Collapse -
In the read me file
by shylaugh / June 12, 2005 12:04 PM PDT
In reply to: NAV 2005

that is downloaded with Norton it says

ZoneAlarm compatibility issue
--------------------------------------------------------

You may encounter problems using Norton AntiVirus with
ZoneAlarm installed on your system. We recommend
updating your version of ZoneAlarm or uninstalling
it when using Norton AntiVirus.

I have been using the 2005 for 3 months with just the worm on without a problem but I tend to be VERY cautious.

Collapse -
Hi again Sandra
by roddy32 / June 12, 2005 10:35 PM PDT
In reply to: In the read me file

Have you already downloaded Zone Alarm or are you doing some checking first which is always a good idea? There are people in here that use both NAV 2005 and Zone Alarm and Rick says that he is running NAV 2005's worm protection AND Window's Firewall with no problems. I would go through all the options again because I would think you could run the 2 of them together also.

Collapse -
Thank you
by shylaugh / June 13, 2005 7:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi again Sandra

I am going to use the Windows firewall and leave the worm protection on. I will do what Rick says. I called Norton and they said I could run both but I am not sure he understood me.
Sandra

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That's good Sandra, you're welcome.
by roddy32 / June 13, 2005 8:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you
Collapse -
Sandra This is Rick, have some questions for you
by Rick Beach / June 13, 2005 8:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

How long does it take your computer to boot up so you can open any programs or get on the internet? Do you dial up or DSL? I have a slow down in boot time with NAV 2005. But other than this problem I like NAV 2005 so far. My computer use to boot up in under minute. Now it takes 3 minutes to boot up so I can open any programs or get on the internet. I have DSL.

Thanks,
Rick

Collapse -
Hi Rick
by shylaugh / June 13, 2005 9:40 AM PDT

I have dial up and it takes a couple of minutes. I know a lot of people do not like Norton but that is the only one I have used and figure keep what has worked for me. I have PC-Cillin Security 2005 that I purchased and was going to install but I have a LOT of time left on my Norton and am a little afraid to change.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?