Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Roddy 32 and Donna need to know what you do

by shylaugh / June 11, 2007 9:38 AM PDT

I always seem to copy Roddy 32 and Donna also. Roddy 32 and Donna do you use the new version of Ad-Aware 2007 or are you using the old SE version. What ever you are doing I want to do. Thanks. Sandra

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Roddy 32 and Donna need to know what you do
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Roddy 32 and Donna need to know what you do
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi Sandra. I am still
by roddy32 / June 11, 2007 12:19 PM PDT

using the "SE" version and will continue to do so until it isn't supported any more. When that happens, unless Lavasoft does a lot of changes on the new version, I will dump the program completely. I have enough other protection programs on this computer already without using one that is very shaky for a huge amount of people so far. This is only MY personal opinion Sandra and it is in no way a recommendation one way or the other as to what you should do. Happy

Collapse -
Hi Roddy
by dawillie / June 12, 2007 8:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Sandra. I am still

Regrettably I installed Ad- Aware 2007 0ver Ad- Aware SE and eventualy uninstalled it because it is buggy to say the least.

Even lost my add- remove function - see my post in XP forum

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=251892&messageID=2512185

By any chance did you save the SE *.exe file and if so, can you send it to me on e-mail?

Thanks.

BTW i am asking in XP Forum if a system restore to a prior configuration will give me back my add remove function in the control panel.

Any thoughts on this?

Much appreciated.

David

Collapse -
I wasn't saving things like that back
by roddy32 / June 12, 2007 10:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Roddy

when I installed it David. That was quite a while ago. BUT I have talked to numerous people that HAVE used system restore and gotten the old version back though. It might also fix your other problem. I would try that and see what happens. If it does not work, I think somebody posted at link at CoU that still had the old version. I can try to find that for you if the other doesn't work. Just make sure you go back far enough with the restore.

Collapse -
Sandra
by Donna Buenaventura / June 11, 2007 2:50 PM PDT

I'm using Ad-Aware 2007 with XP. It's running smooth over here.
No problem in quick and full scan. No problem with updating but I've seen it said "server busy" when I tried to update earlier today. I closed the program and waited a bit before running it again... then the defs update was installed OK.

Note: There are many reports by many users that they have problem but there are many users also who has no problem in using it.
I guess, different users has different specs so it is something to note. Others has success in using it while others don't.

BTW, I also have Ad-aware SE in a very old laptop that I seldom use.

Like Rod, I can't tell you what you should do but I can only advise to try to continue using Ad-Aware SE since the support is still active. Even paid customers has to wait until June 18 then Vista users has to wait until end of August.

Install Ad-Aware 2007 when the support is finished. They (Lavasoft) should worked on the problems reported to them before they end the support to Ad-aware SE.

Collapse -
Sandra, I am also using
by PudgyOne / June 11, 2007 6:03 PM PDT

Ad-Aware 2007 with Windows XP Home. I do NOT have any problems with it. The auto update is a little strange. You have to wait a minute to get the update message.

I use the following and when I used Ad-Aware SE, it rarely found anything

Avast (FREE)
C W Shredder
Spybot Search & Destroy
AVG Anti-Spyware
Spyware Blaster

I will be like the others, I will try it and if there are any problems with it, then I will remove it, like I did Internet Explorer 7.

Rick

Collapse -
Thank you all
by shylaugh / June 12, 2007 7:49 AM PDT

Now I know what I want to do. Always good advice from all of you. Thank you again. Sandra

Collapse -
(NT) Good luck Sandra and you're welcome :)
by roddy32 / June 12, 2007 10:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you all

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!