Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Rock

by Richard Jones Forum moderator / February 4, 2006 11:48 PM PST

Hello Everyone,

What is your favourite Rock song? I mean basic Rock 'n Roll. I'd say, maybe, "Lounge Act" by Nirvana. Or perhaps "Can't Explain" or "My Generation" , both by The Who. Hard to choose, but those would be amongst my "Desert Island" picks.

So, what's yours?

Rick

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Rock
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Rock
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That would be..............
by Tony Holmes / February 5, 2006 12:22 AM PST
In reply to: Rock
Collapse -
Hey Tony, I checked out every page of...
by Jack Ammann / February 5, 2006 1:59 AM PST

...your web site. Your site is absolutely outstanding. Man, I'm sure lookin' at that 502 Lightning. I mean it would be awsome to just "half throttle" out of a stop light and couldn't even tell whether that blown Mustang (that was beside you at the light) was racing you or not...LOL

Collapse -
Gotta be some of the early stuff
by Steven Haninger / February 5, 2006 12:31 AM PST

though not the very earliest. Something about the Buddy Holly era songs have to be my favorites because of their simplicity. I really can't pick one but maybe a sub category in the genre. I liked folk and folk rock later on but never the hard stuff at all. '50s rock was corny but it was good corn to me. Happy

Collapse -
You mean like this ?
by Tony Holmes / February 5, 2006 12:35 AM PST
Collapse -
HoneyComb......
by Glenda / February 5, 2006 12:54 AM PST

wontcha be my Baby Happy
Jimmy Rodgers

Collapse -
Isn't that Country? Or Rockabilly?
by EdH / February 5, 2006 1:39 AM PST
In reply to: HoneyComb......

I wouldn't call it Rock.

But I think the question is impossible to answer. At least I can't pick a fave. If I picked one I'd probably get sick of it and miss the others.

Collapse -
It was
by Glenda / February 5, 2006 1:50 AM PST

But it was still Rock & Roll then:)

Collapse -
Ok, Another one.........
by Glenda / February 5, 2006 1:53 AM PST

One Night
Elvis Happy

Collapse -
Justa hank of hair and a piece of bone
by Steven Haninger / February 5, 2006 1:46 AM PST
In reply to: HoneyComb......

Yep, nothing like those great lyrics. Happy

Collapse -
Glory Days by Springsteen and
by Rolway / February 5, 2006 1:37 AM PST

The Rose by Bette Midler.

Course one of my real favorites is the "Sanitarium Blues" by Townes Van Zandt. and "The Azzhole Song' by Johnny Paycheck I think

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Stairway to heaven
by C1ay / February 5, 2006 2:26 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) any song by the shangri-las
by Mark5019 / February 5, 2006 2:32 AM PST
Collapse -
:) good pick
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / February 6, 2006 5:30 AM PST

Thanks Mark, and all, for your choices.

Coincidentally, was listening to a show Sunday night here, "Little Steven's Underground Garage" - he played some great stuff from that era, was the anniversary of The Beatles' Ed Sullivan appearances. He gives a lot of trivia in between the songs, interesting "back stories", too. At the time I was too young, but I still love the fifties, sixties stuff.

Rick

Collapse -
You just HAVE to
by Glenda / February 6, 2006 5:33 AM PST
In reply to: :) good pick

keep rubbing it in that you are too young!!! Brat!
Senile GGM here]:)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ''Whippin' Post''
by Dan McC / February 6, 2006 5:35 AM PST
Collapse -
So many ;-)
by Evie / February 6, 2006 9:40 PM PST

For many reasons, November Rain by GnR always seems to come out on top for me.

Others:
Freewill - Rush
New Year's Day - U2
Nobody's Fool - Cinderella (OK a little oddball there but)
Runaway - Bon Jovi (hey, I just like that song!)
Nothing Else Matters - Metallica (OK more a rock ballad but)
Does just about anything from Queen count?

BTW, Nickel Back's new album is quite good. I love the current hit "Photograph", but the whole CD is pretty darned good.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
I don't think I could pick one song.....
by Josh K / February 6, 2006 10:50 PM PST

....but if I had to, it would probably be Satisfaction just because it kinda wrote the book on rock & roll anger. My Generation expanded on it (and in a great way) but Satisfaction preceded it by two years.

Collapse -
Satisfaction.......
by Glenda / February 6, 2006 10:59 PM PST

the only Rolling Stones song I ever liked:)

Collapse -
Are you sure?
by EdH / February 6, 2006 11:13 PM PST

I'm seeing 1965 for both songs. But I am not satisfied with the online discographies. Maybe you know a good one?

Collapse -
Not positive
by Josh K / February 6, 2006 11:35 PM PST
In reply to: Are you sure?

I thought Satisfaction was written in '64. I know the Stones didn't break through in the US until '65 and a lot of older songs may be misdated with their US release dates. I know that happened with all the Beatles' pre-1964 songs. For example, Love Me Do was recorded in 1962 but on WCBS-FM they always dated it 1964 because that's when it was released on Capitol Records.

I also thought My Generation was '66 but I could be wrong.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.