PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Robert Proffitt can you help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Robert Proffitt can you help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Robert Proffitt can you help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'll watch it.

In reply to: Robert Proffitt can you help

But it seems the lesson about calling the supplier to get a bum board exchanged may be in the future. XP "glides" onto good hardware. I read the discussion and see a bum system. But few want to hear that.

Other lessons:

a. A new board, router, etc will not have the latest BIOS or firmware.
b. XP does glide onto good hardware.
c. Building your own PC the first time can be traumatic for some.
d. And the first time out, you rarely save a buck.

Bob

Collapse -
I'm screwed?

In reply to: I'll watch it.

so what your saying is I'm screwed, pretty much. I don't understand how it would be a bum system.

Collapse -
Why would that be?

In reply to: I'm screwed?

You have new stuff with a warranty. Use the warranty.

Bob

Collapse -
Did you do any checks on your

In reply to: I'm screwed?

hard drive???? To me the symptoms make it seem that the drive has problems. I don't understand the comment about the 9 jumper positions.

Collapse -
Don't really know any checks to do

In reply to: Did you do any checks on your

I figured the signs were pointing at a bad hard drive, but I exchanged the hard drive and the new one did the same thing. The hard drive was the only thing I bought at a retail store and not online.

Collapse -
Now that's truly odd.

In reply to: Don't really know any checks to do

Why would you buy all this and not have any warranty?

Somewhere in the brew is a bum or horribly misconfigured part, but I don't see it yet. The motherboard is my suspect from what I read.

It's all new so you should be able to call the board supplier and ask for configuration help.

If not, find some local guru to look it over, but your posts and discussions have yet to reveal what's dead.

Bob

Collapse -
Why the motherboard?

In reply to: Now that's truly odd.

Well the parts I bought online have warranty's with them. They all pretty much have the manufacturer's warranty.

I am wondering why you think the motherboard is the problem?

Thanks for you input so far though.

Collapse -
Because it seems to not recognise/use your drives.

In reply to: Why the motherboard?

Most vendors do not want your RMA. And will talk you through the usual issues.

If you didn't call it in, you may have ignored a good resource.

Collapse -
The one thing many ignore.

In reply to: Because it seems to not recognise/use your drives.

The BIOS updates.

Some are under the impression a new board would have the latest BIOS.

Guess what?

Collapse -
Updated BIOS

In reply to: The one thing many ignore.

If I downloaded an updated BIOS on this computer how would I get the other one to recognize it with no OS?

Collapse -
Very few need a full OS.

In reply to: Updated BIOS

I put it on a DOS diskette and follow the makers instructions.

But your question does reveal that you didn't follow their instructions or research it. This is not a good sign.

Bob

Collapse -
Remember that the IDE "controller" is

In reply to: Why the motherboard?

part of the Mobo's chipset.

Did you try different cables??? Flat versus round.

What make are the two hard drives that you tried? Jumpering correct?

Collapse -
Hitachi

In reply to: Remember that the IDE "controller" is

I just exchanged my hard drive for a different same thing. Hitachi Deskstar 250 GB 7200rpm. I've tried the cable that came with the hard drive and a round one that came with the mobo. Jumpering has been on Master and cable select.

Collapse -
Looks as if Robert is looking good.

In reply to: Hitachi

Based on my limited experience Win XP installs gracefully on new hardware, as Robert said. I actually installed it on a SATA drive which was the only one in the system. Had to do the F6 bit but it worked perfectly.

Collapse -
Just re-reviewed it. And...

" I'm using Windows XP "

Here's a bonus. They are trying to install on an over 127GB drive with Windows XP. This usually fails horribly since Windows XP doesn't support such a drive.

The common gaffe is the owner tries to format or partition the drive with the software that came with the drive. How would they know this is the setup for failure?

Then they boot the XP CD and descend into the depths of despair.

-> I rarely see this issue since:

a. I know the issue.
b. I never use drive prep software or (gasp) Partition Magic.
c. I created a XP SP2 CD a long time ago to stay out of this quagmire.

Bob

Collapse -
Newer Service Pack

In reply to: Just re-reviewed it. And...

I didn't think the size of the hard drive was the problem. You said before SP1 started to use larger hard drives. I am using SP2. I also have a friend that has the same size hard drive with Windows XP and has no problem at all.

Collapse -
It's a point.

In reply to: Newer Service Pack

Please put such details in your posts. I read all your posts and didn't see that you had SP2.

Windows XP with no SP at all can be installed on such a drive BUT many trip up and fall hard by preparing the drive with some utility. I know to go "native."

Bob

Collapse -
From the T18 Manual

Just in case: Note the manual says that it supports only one IDE Channel.

It supports 8-channel Azalia Audio Codec and provides one
IDE Ultra DMA 100/66 channel. It coporates one IDE RAID
controller supporting two IDE Ultra DMA 133/100/66 channel for
RAID 0, 1, 0+1 function. It has one AGPro slot, one PCI
Express x16 slot, two PCI Express x1 slots and three 32-bit
PCI slots. There is a full set of I/O ports including two PS/2 ports
for mouse and keyboard, one serial port, one parallel port, one
LAN port (optional), six audio jacks for micropone, line-in and 8-
ch line-out, four back-panel USB 2.0 ports and onboard USB
headers USB3/USB4 providing four extra ports by connecting the
extended USB module to the motherboard.

Collapse -
Norm we cleared that up very

In reply to: From the T18 Manual

early in the other thread. The second and third IDE ports were RAID ports from a SIS chip. He went into the BIOS and set the RAID to IDE/ATAPI and put his Optical drives on that or those ports. That thread was "don't detect IDE drives" by same user name.

He had the Hard drive on the middle connector of the normal IDE port, but set as Master. It should have worked. He changed it to CS and moved it to the end connector. Has since got a replacement Hitachi, and tried both round and ribbon cables.

Hey, a female named Worley posted in one of these forums the other day. Any relation??

Collapse -
Just a thought.

In reply to: Norm we cleared that up very

Hi Ray. Let me first say that I haven't read this thread throughly. Someone may have mentioned this.
Has anyone thought to check in Device Manager to see if the channel is enabled there?

Collapse -
He can't get an Operating system installed

In reply to: Just a thought.

thus no device manager. Has no floppy, so boot floppy not available.

More info in his original thread before I created this one with a link to his original to see what Robert could add.

That really meant Robert or anyone else. So feel free to jump in. Kinda nice to see Norm Worley around also.

I'm from the old ZDNET forums and remember him well for his expertise.

I'm still trying to find out what the boot screen says about the drive in the other thread. Probably not important because the install of XP with SP2 starts when he boots from the CD but then gets him the failure notice.

Got any other good ideas it'll be appreciated.

Hadn't noticed your name around lately.

Collapse -
He can't Get, etc. (Off Subject and On Subject, Both)

In reply to: He can't get an Operating system installed

A lower tax rate for me or anyone else in Taxachusetts!
On the other hand, I think that where Bob lives in the community of The Peoples Republic of Cambridge, tax rates are still going up! Maybe Bob can write a new program for the Governor and the Dept. of Revenue. HA! :

Collapse -
I think they should recap the story.

In reply to: He can't Get, etc. (Off Subject and On Subject, Both)

I've kept an eye on it and the one thing I did point out was merely an omission on their part (XP and over 127GB support.)

A recap is needed.

I don't see the BIOS version noted, so that goes in the recap as well.

Bob

Collapse -
Recap

In reply to: I think they should recap the story.

Alright First I cam here because I had a problem detecting all IDE drives. Ray quickly ran me through that and that is no longer a problem.

I am trying to install Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2. I've also tried the boot disc for Windows XP Home that I have with this computer. My problem is when Windows starts to load and then says Setup is now Starting Windows. Then a screen appears revealing Windows can not continue installation. Please check hard drive for any viruses. Remove newly installed hard drive or hard drive controller and make sure it is configured and terminated correctly. Run CHKDSK/F and check for corruption.

The hard drive is a brand new Hitachi Deskstar 250 GB 7200 RPm hard drive. Can't have any viruses. I can't turn off Virus protection in my BIOS because there isn't any. I didn't download a BIOS upgrade because PC CHIPS website said only to download if my problem was described and mine wasn't. I have had the hard drive jumpers on Master and Cable Select only to receive the same error screen. I didn't call the mobo manufacturer because there is no phone number. The only customer service they offer is e-mail which they haven't gotten back to me with.

When I start my computer it says IT8212 Atapi BIOS V1.7.1.51. so I believe that is my BIOS version.

Collapse -
You still haven't told me what the

In reply to: Recap

boot screen says about your hard drive.

Also, it seems that you may be using a proprietary system and simply putting a new hard drive in. Lots of room for problems then.

Exactly what is this "Boot Disk" for XP home?????? If that is from a proprietary system and is actually a recovery CD, you may have tried to put all the drivers on from the original system and got things confused.

Why not buy a floppy and just let it hang out of the system to try using a Win 98 boot floppy and run FDISk /STATUS to see just what is happening to the hard drive. [or pull the floppy out of the other system and connect ot temporaily.]

Even that screen that says ATAPI doesn't make a lot of sense. The Hard drive is not an ATAPI drive, the optical drives are.

I'm going up to the website to read about the BIOS.

What Op Sys is on your other computer. If it is Win 98, just download/install the latest FDISK, make a boot disk and then overwrite the FDISK on the boot floppy with the newer FDISK. Believe it or not MS doesn't do that for you. You can also use the new FDISK to overwrite the one in the file that creates ther boot disk [forget its name but it is obvious] then when you make a boot disk the new FDISK will be used.

Just want to use FDISK /STATUS at the moment to see what it says about your drive. Don't use it to format unless we discuss that the format command when used with the new FDISK gives bad readings [although it does fully format the drive].

Collapse -
Can't Pause it in time

In reply to: You still haven't told me what the

I can't pause it in time to get the boot screen. It only says the part about the hard drive for a split second so I'm either to early or to late. This computer is running XP Home. I don't have win98 disk. I do have a floppy drive. That misunderstanding may have been my fault but there is one one there.

I don't think trying the other disk would have been the problem since I tried it after I was already getting error messeges.

Collapse -
You have a floppy drive in the computer

In reply to: Can't Pause it in time

that is having the problem???

Here's a link to a place to get boot disks for anything.

Definitely get one for Win 98 and make a floppy from it. You might want to try another.

http://www.pcwarfare.com/hdds/bootdisks.htm

Collapse -
Again I am only looking at

In reply to: Can't Pause it in time

a Win 98 boot floppy to get an idea of what may be on the drive. I think that misunderstood what XP CD that you had. I now wonder if the first thing that you used was a valid XP CD rather than recovery or restore CD from a proprietary system. Not meaning that you should ignore Robert at all, HOWEVER, if I knew that you had a floppy drive in the problem system I would ask you to download DELPART [from the same site], just on a different page, and run that to clean the drive and start over with an XP CD that we understand a little about.

It sure seems that Robert's logic is valid. Just think that some previous info was incorrect and steered us in the wrong direction.

Collapse -
The other gem is KILLDISK.

In reply to: Again I am only looking at

It does quite the number on wiping a drive clean so be sure of what system you run it on.

At the moment I'm mostly watching for a clue to pop up so I can make usefull additions. The one item I thought I say was dashed when you added you had XP SP2.

-> Ray is right. What XP SP2 you have could have a bearing on this.

And to repeat myself, do not use any disk prep software. I don't.

Bob

Collapse -
Emailing this to Toni H.

In reply to: The other gem is KILLDISK.

in case she doesn't have it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.