Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Road Runner on line?

XP Home
MSIE and Outlook Exp

I have been on a dial-up modem for years and could easily tell if I was on line by looking for the little flashing modem or the two computers in the task bar. I have been on Road Runner cable for two days and can see no indication if I am on or off line.

Am I connected and on line just by turning on the computer? If so, how do I get off line short of turning off the modem which causes strange messages from the computer about finding another LAN or some such.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Road Runner on line?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Road Runner on line?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Road Runner on line?

In reply to: Road Runner on line?

Cable is an "Always On" connection. The modem connects to the NIC in the PC and is always connected. When the PC is on, you are connected to the net. If you want to disconnect, unplug the Ethernet cord from the NIC, or unplug the cable coax from the cable modem. You may get an alert or error message, but that's just the way it works. It's designed to be always connected.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Road Runner on line?

Thanks for your help. Not really happy to be online when I am doing checkbook balancing and such.

Guess I will get a quick disconnect for the coax on the modem---

Collapse -

may i ask why it concerns you?
ive been on cable for yrs thats one reason you pay for its allways on. if your worried about security do you run a firewall, good virus program thats up todate, plus run anti spyware software?

Collapse -

If anybody could see your checkbook figures while you were working on it, they probably could see it just as easily while you're browsing or e-mailing. That doesn't really make a difference, except for the time frame.

So better have a good protection around, and keep everybody out whatever you do. Then you'll find appreciate that mail comes flowing in while you're doing the books, without the need to dial-up to check it.

Kees

Collapse -

With cable, it's an "always on" connection.
If your PC is on, you are online. If it's off, then you are offline.

IF your modem has a standby button, you can use that to go offline and still leave your PC on.

Collapse -

Right click on My Network Places (either in start bar or on your desktop)
Go to Properties, and
Right Click on Local Area Connection (this is where you can disconnect broadband). At the bottom of the screen put a
check mark in Show icon. You'll now see whenever there is traffic. I would also recommend getting ZoneAlarm. It has an option for you to "Stop All Internet Activity".

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.