Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

RJ-45 Wall Receptors etc..

by jamisonwalter / June 12, 2005 10:48 AM PDT

I am looking for a good place online to purchase rj-45 wall receptors. I need one that has a power outlet on top (or bottom) and an rj-45 outlet. I am looking for a place that deals with volume and has a low price. If anyone has found such a place, please let me know.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RJ-45 Wall Receptors etc..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RJ-45 Wall Receptors etc..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
two thoughts...
by Dick White / June 12, 2005 11:47 AM PDT

In absolute order of importance!!! (unlike some of my posts that are not in order of importance...)

NUMBER ONE!!!!! Forget your idea as stated. Completely put it out of your head. NOW! Power junction boxes should NEVER NEVER NEVER be mixed with telecom. It is a violation of the National Electric Code and your homeowner's insurance agent will thumb his/her nose at you when your house burns down. Separate boxes. Period.

2) If you are looking for reasonably priced wall plates and connectors, interestingly enough, your local Home Despot or Lowes has a pretty good selection in the electrical department.


Collapse -
Two more thoughts
by El Alquimista / June 12, 2005 12:57 PM PDT
In reply to: two thoughts...

If you do not live close to a Home Depot or Lowes,

has the wallplates, jacks, and most everything else you would for your installation. For the reason **** gave, you will not find any wall plates combining power and communications. I live within 3 or 4 miles of both Home Depot and Lowes, and buy such items there. However, I have gotten many other items from Cyberguys, and have found their prices to be good and their shipments prompt.

Ethernet is low voltage, and therefore does not really need an outlet box. Just cut a hole in the wall slightly larger than the projection of a jack from the back of the plate, run the cable, crimp on the jack, insert it into the plate, and fasten the plate to the wall with screws. Personally, I would run the comm cable on the opposite side of a stud from the power line.


Collapse -
by jamisonwalter / June 12, 2005 10:26 PM PDT
In reply to: two thoughts...

Thanks for the information. I've wondered why there wasn't such a wall plate that I was looking for and you have answered my question.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.