Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Ripping to wav software

by DADSGETNDOWN / April 12, 2008 7:55 PM PDT

Hello.
I am wondering, no matter what software including or method you
use to rip tracks from a cd into a .wav file, the quality will always be the same ? 1411 bitrate I think it is and all that ?.
After that I pan to rip using Audacity to mp3, what is a close to
Cd quality bit rate? or good to use for portable mp3/Ipods ?
I normally use 128.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ripping to wav software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ripping to wav software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let your ears be the judge.
by ahtoi / April 13, 2008 2:45 PM PDT

If it sounds good to you then that's the bitrate you should use. Good luck.

Collapse -
Not a good reply
by DADSGETNDOWN / April 13, 2008 5:06 PM PDT

Hi there, nice try but didn't address the question.
And if I use that statement, you left out alot of variables.
It may not sound good on a certain player, sound card,
home systems or headsets for example.

Collapse -
I don't think I can address the question exactly,
by ahtoi / April 14, 2008 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Not a good reply

but maybe I can talk in general. Ripping cd to wave softwares are pretty much the same. However, there are couple variable you can set though; one is the frequency (normal-44000) and the other DAC (normal-16bits, 24 and 32). Suppose to be the higher the number, the better. But can you tell the difference with what equipments you have? I wouldn't know.

As for compressed music files, if storage is no problem, then go with the highest bitrate (I think about 320 constant). Just my thought on this.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?