Speakeasy forum

General discussion

RIP, Mr, Roarke and Number Six!

by Paul C / January 14, 2009 7:27 PM PST
Ricardo Montalban dead at 88.

Patrick McGoohan dead at 80.

I always thought that The Wrath of Khan was by far the best of the Star Trek movies, and that The Prisoner was a series that was a ground breaker in its own way; a show that almost was a sort of video Rorschach test - what you took from it depended more your belief system than it did on the show itself.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RIP, Mr, Roarke and Number Six!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RIP, Mr, Roarke and Number Six!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Montalban left his suave "pretty boy" roles with
by drpruner / January 14, 2009 9:00 PM PST

Khan, certainly. Very good movie.

Collapse -
One by one, they depart
by Willy / January 14, 2009 11:15 PM PST

Khan showed far more human emotion than other ST pictures, IMHO. As for the, "The Prisoner", I just read its coming back as a new series/show. More updated, etc., but following the same premise. -----Willy

Collapse -
I hadn't heard about Patrick McGoohan
by Josh K / January 14, 2009 11:30 PM PST

I didn't watch The Prisoner when it first aired but I got the whole series from Netflix last year. A bit dated now but you can see where shows like Lost got some of their ideas.

Despite suspicions from "Prisoner Geeks," McGoohan insisted that Number Six was NOT the same character from "Secret Agent."

Collapse -
I can believe that.
by drpruner / January 15, 2009 12:29 AM PST

The Secret Agent was had a different attitude: still patriotic and hard working.
Number 6 was kidnapped from his sports car AIR after he quit 'The Agency' in disgust over something. The closing scene of the series showed him again in his car, finishing his trip. Once again his own man.

The two men certainly looked alike, though. Happy

Collapse -
One of my quibbles with The Prisoner....
by Josh K / January 15, 2009 12:32 AM PST
In reply to: I can believe that.

....was that they left a lot of questions unanswered, such as why DID he resign? And who were the operators of "The Village" working for? We never really found out. The final episode was a bit of a mess IMO.

Collapse -
Yep, Number Two in the steam hole, or something.
by drpruner / January 15, 2009 1:03 AM PST

It seemed Number Six was talking his way out of The Village; 'Why didn't he just do it in an earlier episode?' Happy

The English do things differently, and IMO scarier. I just saw a BBC miniseries on PBS called The Last Enemy. Very disturbing; the "last enemy" is, of course, ourselves and the governments we put over our lives. The gov't was covering up at least three dastardly plots, each of which was threatening to run completely amok. No happy ending.
I'm also not fond of unanswered questions, but they do raise the anxiety level.

Collapse -
one of the better offerings of UK TV
by jonah jones / January 15, 2009 2:23 AM PST

we were hooked on it....

your "secret agent" was our "danger man", also a great series

another was the avengers which was a sort of run up to the james bond movies

Collapse -
I recall Montalban in his MGM days
by Angeline Booher / January 15, 2009 12:05 AM PST

,,,,. such as when he played romantic leads opposite such stars as Esther Williams. Photos of him and his wife, Georgia, showed that she was a dark-haired beauty,

I, too, especially enjoyed "The Prisoner", but my favorite was "Secret Agent Man" for Mr. McGohan.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.