TVs & Home Theaters forum

Resolved Question

Rip a Blu-Ray to a external HDD and stream to TV?

by kShaneH / March 25, 2015 12:30 AM PDT

I would like to Rip my Blu-Rays and DVD's to an external hard drive and then hook that HDD up to my HDTV and play my own content. Is this possible without hooking my TV up to a computer?

Thanks, Shane

kShaneH has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Rip a Blu-Ray to a external HDD and stream to TV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Rip a Blu-Ray to a external HDD and stream to TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by kShaneH

Collapse -
I would use a streamer box instead
by Pepe7 / March 25, 2015 1:44 AM PDT

The vast majority of HDTVs don't handle the various formats well, so I suggest you research acquiring a media streamer, such as a Roku or WDTV Live- something that could handle various formats/codecs with little effort on your part.

Collapse -
Answer
So far, not here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2015 12:38 AM PDT

All BD's I've seen to date are DRM, copy protected and the forum policies forbid how to get around that.

You might find prior discussions on the web but check the forum policies to see why you don't find ripping discussions here.
Bob

Collapse -
oops
by kShaneH / March 25, 2015 7:40 AM PDT
In reply to: So far, not here.

It was my understanding that it was legal to rip your own stuff for personal use. I thought I just read that somewhere, It certainly isn't my intention to break the law.

Collapse -
You can try but moderators tend to lock such discussions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2015 8:04 AM PDT
In reply to: oops

DRM, getting around copy protection is covered in the forum policies. As there are forums that entertain such things, I'd use those for that discussion. If you want a legal discussion we have that Speakeasy forum.
Bob

Collapse -
Backing up, yes. Breaking DRM/etc., no. It's complicated.
by Pepe7 / March 25, 2015 10:21 AM PDT
In reply to: oops

Legally, they can't stop you from backing up as such. But at the same time, you have no legal authority in the USA to break copyright protection found on most commercial discs. And such copying software is generally only sold legally in countries without extradition treaties to the US, for obvious reasons LOL.

It should only take you a matter of days to discover the best software for personal use though.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!