Computer Help forum

General discussion

Right forum? System mini-dumps:from System Data.XML.

by tobeach / May 30, 2005 3:42 PM PDT

Profile for main Sys info. XP Pro(SP1)+10hotfix on P4.

Computer about 7 mos old. Have been expierencing repeated crash & auto reboots (mini-dumps) about 2- 3 times /week for 2 months. Message always same:
'' Your system has successfully recovered from a serious event.'' Detail info shows: C:\docu~1\Sandy(me)\locals~1\temp\wer1.temp dir00\sysdata.xml.
This means nothing to me except it has to do with the temp files/settings? for my desktop?
This problem occurs in several instances I.E. when leaving Hotmial via IE, starting /or leaving one of several games (all local non-internet)with deskop icons located in program files. These games are not high tech and originally came from 95(?) Delux Pacman, 98 ish Pool 'em up, Dart 'em up. newer: Bejeweled Delux, Zuma Delux (both popcap games from original retail install disks). The icons for these in my desktop ''installed games'' folder have been erratic over time with (for example) the Pacman icon showing up where the TopsyTurvy icon belongs as well as its normal place for Pacman. It was still Topsy game if you clicked but system put wrong icon. Starting the game caused correct icon to reappear. Maybe red herring !!
I keep my machine very clean and regularly empty all cache files and defrag weekly. I have recently started using C Cleaner which seemed to help for 2 weeks but crashes started again last night. Occassionaly dump starts from 2nd users desktop.
Computer scans completely clean from AVG, AdawareSE(1.06) & Spybot1.3 all up to date defs.No hints of Trojans or Hijacks/re-directs.
Can supply error # (BC Code:1000008e) etc if needed.
Any answers occur? Better in another(which) forum?
This is WAY out of my (little) league !! Thanks for your thoughts!!! Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Right forum? System mini-dumps:from System Data.XML.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Right forum? System mini-dumps:from System Data.XML.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do the following
by AussiePete / May 30, 2005 9:24 PM PDT

When this happens, go to Control Panel/Admin Tools/Event Viewer and under both software and system look for any red flags - write down any error reports - (double click to display error details) also go to the online "help and support link (which appears at the bottom)for any further details on the error.
I suspect you may have a hardware problem or perhaps a bad sector on your hard disk - so check your disk for errors.
Get back to us with the error details.
Peter

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Just as a precaution backup your data!
by AussiePete / May 30, 2005 9:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Do the following
Collapse -
Update & Error reports requested.....
by tobeach / May 31, 2005 1:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Do the following

Last crash/dump/auto reboot: Last night after signing out at Hotmail. The second I clicked X to exit IE (hotmail) system crashed & auto rebooted. Additionally (for first time) an Icon (for Dart'em up) from within Desktop Installed games folder, managed to slip out and install the icon over top of the main desktop Icon for CCleaner. Now icons aren't just messing in 1 folder but have migrated to desktop itself !
Results from Event viewer: System
May 29th:Error: Services control Mgr #7023 IPSEC Authentication Service Unknown (same error 2nd time 29th)
May 29th:Error:Service control Mgr #7001 (same error 2nd time)ICFirewalldepends on remote access connection Manager.Dependancy group failed to start.(I have disabled in MS Services tab (config) items with remote access as a security idea along with printer file sharing over net and remote help access (until I need).
Funny firewall seems to show enabled & functional.
May30th: Same 3 errors as above: 2times#7001 1T#7023.
May30th:System error Cat. 102 Event #1003
Error Code:1000008E Parameters1)C0000005 2)BFA2E5D1
3)EE4B3740 4)00000000 (from MS Link): Version 5.2
Symbolic Name:ER_KRNLCRASH_LOG. Errorcode %1, parameter 1%2,2%3,3%4,4%5 No Matching Event 1001 codes for previous. AGAIN main 3: 2 times #7001 & 1 time #7023.
May31st: Same main 3 as above. All others just information entries.
Event viewer: Security: No reports.
" " : Applications(closest entry 10 days past)
Application Error:1001 Fault App: Roll'em up.EXE Version:0000 Fault address:0x0003A592. NOTE: This problematic game has been removed and performed system restore to day before unsuccessful instal attempt.
SYSTEM INFO REPORTS: All hardware catagories listed there has status:OK
Section Conflict/Sharing had a few entries:
i/o port CF7 had 2 items listed to the 1 port: PCI BUS & Direct Memory Controller.
IRQ#16: has 3 Intel Entries: 1)Graphics Controller 2)USB Universal Host Controller 24D2 3)USB UHC 24DE
IRQ#17: has 2: USR Fax Host & Sound Max Integrated Digital Audio.
IRQ#18: has 2: Intel USB Universal Host Controller 24d7
& Intel Ultra ATA Storage Controller.
MEMORY ADDRESSES: 2 sharing same address:0xA0000=0xBFFFF: PCI BUS & Intel Graphics Controller #82865G
Components: No problem devices.
Hoping this says something to you! Thanks for your patience !! Happy

Collapse -
Wow!
by AussiePete / June 1, 2005 12:18 PM PDT

1/ Sorry cant follow all that you have written - would need to see it in the context of what I see on your monitor and where. However, did you follow the links to "help & Support" when viewing the error message in "event viewer" You will have to be online to do this.
2/ Tell me are you using a DSL internet connection and are you using a router???????? If so what firewall program are you using - I suspect you maybe having troubles with your port settings which conflict with your router. If you are using XP default firewall try "zone alarm" from fttp://www.zonelabs.com
3/ Turn off auto restart temporarily (control panel>system>advanced>startup&.....settings) and make sure auto restart is NOT selected - therefore when your problem occurs you may get a blue screen with an error message instead - not down what it says.
4/ Clear out all your cookies and IE temp files - also disable any IE plugins or activeX
5/ You could also download the IE replacement browser "Firefox" to see if its something to do with IE that is causing the problem, Firefox:- http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
6/ Make sure all your services are working correctly and their dependants are running as required - seems you may have a problem in this area - tinkering with the services can have an adverse effect which is not explicitly obvious.

Let me know how you go
Peter

Collapse -
Follow up answers....
by tobeach / June 1, 2005 4:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Wow!

Hi, Pete ! Answers to you suggstions/questions:
1) Yes, did online Help & Support link. Not very helpfull result is: May 30th..System Error Catagory 102,event103 kernal crash...is from online link (In last post).
2) I am on Cable Modem Broadband with NO router. I am using only XP native Internet ConnectionFirewall (ICF) 1 way only INCOMING, refuses all not requested from inside. I am happy with it for time being as it causes no problems and according to AVG, has never let anything in. It is also reported as 100% completely stealthed by GRCs Sheilds up and Mozilla Browser shows NO leakage at all.
3) Will try "offing" auto re-boot as you suggest.
Would you expect the resulting error message to be different than the one I currently get?
Will it offer to re-boot or will I likely need to use reset button or hard boot from turning off power at powerbar to have it reset?
4)ALL cookies & history caches in IE, Sun Java & Mozilla are completely cleared after each online session (several times per day). Amounts removed vary from 50 KBs to 6 or 7 MBs according to how long online.
5)Mozilla 1.7.8 with Sun Java 1.4.2_08 is my main Browser. I only use IE to go to Hotmail, MS Update, and Adobe Reader Updates.
I have only 2 Active-Xs on machine: Adobe Readers' Acrohelper & Spybot S%D 1.3 own Active-X BHO.
NOTE: Spybot NEW 1.4 released today!! Not Beta! YEA!
6) I really worry about the remote access services as being a major security threat (kind of like the net-bios). Any path that can avoid firewall... Yet the Firewall tests perfect...at least for incoming. It's up to me & Avg to prevent Trojans getting in to prevent them calling out. My biggest dislike of XP v/s 98SE is that SOOOO many processes are tied together in each clump that it's very hard to guess what depends on what part of what!! Hackers Headache #71 ?? LOL .
I'm considering running "IE Fix.Exe" but I'm afraid of it re-enabling too many security holes (I or) the service pack hotfixes have closed. I particularly wanted it's ability to re-install the Dlls for SFC /Scannow but latest download mentions: " it no longer runs SFC /Scannow ". I'm not sure if that means it doesn't auto start SFC or no longer contains those files. Thanks again for reading my rant& trying to help this problem. Happy

Collapse -
Interesting NEW item in Config Start-up.....
by tobeach / June 3, 2005 5:27 AM PDT

Installed new Spybot 1.4. While checking system start-up in both Spybot & MSConfig, there is now a new entry Labelled Dumprep 0-k (MSConfig) called Kernal Fault Check/dumprep 0-k in Spybot. Hmmm...
Can you tell me EXACTLY which item in MSConfig Services list must be ticked to enable Remote Access Connection Manager Dependency Group? Unfortunately when I look there, The names are abreviated so I'm not sure which "Remote..." I need to activate.Currently I have "all"enabled (running selective start up). Would like to turn off unneccessaries (Time,auto update,smart card, wireless etc.) Thanks again ! Happy

Collapse -
I cant help you if...
by AussiePete / June 3, 2005 5:44 PM PDT

You are "tinkering" with the services - this maybe your problem - suspending services can have an unknown affect - programs which may rely on services can fail and the cause may not be apparent - nor does the association of the program to a particular service seem obvious or logical sometimes. And to make things worse there is no hint in the error reports that the program has failed due to a service not running - this relationship is lacking in the error reporting in XP.
So in short dont turn off services - down load the "windows security analyser" and only turn off the services it recommends. Also the name can be deceiving - for example, the UDPnP is not Solly used for detecting Plug and Play devices over the network, but has a primary role of linking computers peer to peer without any reference to PnP hardware what so ever!!!!
You asked about "remote access..." To see the full name in MSCONFIG just slide the menu bar across.
Now I want you to do the following:-
1/ Turn ALL services back on (for now)
2/ Report back the FULL error details shown in Event viewer which correspond to the exact time your error occurs example:-
--------------
Program folder
Event type: Error
User: Peter
Source: Application Hang
category: 1003
Event ID 102
Description: Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.
---------------
3/ Report the FULL error message you get on your monitor when the crash occurs.
4/ I suggest you use both IE and Fire Fox to see if the same error occurs in both applications - this will help narrow down the cause.
After we find what's causing this we can talk about which services can be turned off.
Peter

Collapse -
One other thing
by AussiePete / June 3, 2005 6:43 PM PDT

In a previous post you said:-
---------------
"May 29th:Error:Service control Mgr #7001 (same error 2nd time)ICFirewalldepends on remote access connection Manager.Dependancy group failed to start.(I have disabled in MS Services tab (config) items with remote access as a security idea along with printer file sharing over net and remote help access (until I need)".
--------------
It appears you have turned off the "remote access connection Manager" and consequently any dependant services have failed to start as well - this looks as though your firewall has been affected - It may still work, but hits a brick wall when it calls upon a service - this sort of thing is typical when services are "tinkered" with - if the firewall relies on one of these stopped services, which appears to be the case, then it may not only just not function properly but crash as well.
And if you have "tinkered" with any other settings on the system please tell me which ones as well.
So Pleazzzzzzzzzzzzzze turn ALL your services back on.
Peter

Collapse -
Thanks for the replies Pete! Have re-enabled.....
by tobeach / June 4, 2005 6:02 AM PDT
In reply to: One other thing

in config to restore all. Firewall reports working. Haven't had any further crashes since 1st of June (re-enabled 3rd of June). I think the new Kernal fault check in start up may be the saving grace. Will report back in 2 or 3 days how it goes. Thanks again ! Happy

Collapse -
Here is the link to MBSA
by AussiePete / June 5, 2005 3:37 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?