Computer Help forum

General discussion

Right clicking mouse causes lockup

by greg48 / September 21, 2004 3:58 AM PDT

I have an HP w/Celeron 1.3, 512 mb/ram, 60 g/hd & 30 g/hd, running under XP Home. It just started acting weird when I right click on an icon, my computer, C-drive. Instead of opening up a menu, the hourglass comes up and stays on. I get a message saying "DrWatsons debugger has closed" (something like that). I have to use task mgr to exit. I've restored previous state, run ckdisk, defragged drives, scanned for viruses, run Spybot, everything I can think of. But it still does this. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Right clicking mouse causes lockup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Right clicking mouse causes lockup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Greg, Have You Tried ??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 21, 2004 4:09 AM PDT

...swapping in a different mouse? Reinstalling the mouse software, if such is available?

Does it ONLY crash when RIGHT clicking on "My Computer", or does it cause issues when RIGHT clicking on any folder?

Can you open "My Computer" by double clicking on it?

What type of mouse? Logitech trackball, standard two button, Microsoft scroll wheel, something else?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Right clicking mouse causes lockup
by Cursorcowboy / September 21, 2004 9:02 AM PDT

1. "Dr. Watson" (Click to see an example screenshot) is a diagnostic tool that gathers information about your computer when a problem occurs with a program. The information gathered by Dr. Watson is called a snapshot. The snapshot includes information that:

? Identifies the program that has a problem.

? Offers a detailed description of the cause.

? May provide a resolution for the problem.

=and=

? Dr. Watson is best used with reproducible faults. With intermittent faults, you may not be able to determine the cause of the fault.

2. However, I don't thing there will be very many members familiar with reported details that Dr. Watson delivers on certain computers. Forum members would perhaps be more familiar with and more helpful concerning default Windows error messages that gets written on the screen instead.

3. Supplemental reading:

a. "How to Troubleshoot Program Faults with Dr. Watson (Q275481)".

b. And the section titled, Troubleshooting Application Faults with Dr. Watson, in the TechNet article "Troubleshooting MS Windows 98."

Collapse -
by greg48 / September 22, 2004 9:11 AM PDT

Here's some additional info: right clicking on any desktop item locks up mouse pointer= hourglass; using ctrl/alt/del, task mgr must restart computer. If I open up "my computer" w/left mouse, right click on "c drive", hourglass comes up, then message "Dr Watson Postmortem debugger has experienced a problem and must close....." Can DrWatson prog be the problem? It must have been pre-installed, or maybe with SP-2?

Collapse -
''Dr. Watson' & WinXP''
by Cursorcowboy / September 22, 2004 10:59 PM PDT

1. The article [Q308538] describes the Dr. Watson for Windows program error debugger tool which is a program error debugger that gathers information about your computer when an error (or user-mode fault) occurs with a program. When an error is detected, by default Dr. Watson creates a text file Drwrsn32.log, and it is saved in the following location:

drive:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINNT\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson

2. Why not either disable or modify Dr. Watson's options, check and report the error recorded in the log for further analyses by somebody who is familiar with it, for nothing else but to see what transpires with the disabling or modification?

Collapse -
Explorer Crashes!
by archimonius / November 24, 2004 1:32 AM PST

I recently instaled XP with SP2, but I have trouble with explorer. I open a folder, and randomly explorer crashes. It seems to occur with specific directories, while others are safe to browse through.
It says Dr Watson Post Mortem Debugger has encountered an error of some sort.
Does anybody know what is wrong with my computer, or how I can fix it?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ''Comply'' w/my #2
by Cursorcowboy / November 24, 2004 1:47 AM PST
In reply to: Explorer Crashes!
Collapse -
Have you found an answer or solution?
by sula70 / December 17, 2004 5:36 AM PST
In reply to: Explorer Crashes!

I have also been having this problem. At first I thought it was a result of a virus, but I have cleaned my computer thoroughly and the problem still exists.
Did you ever fix the problem? If so, I would be quite grateful for some advice.... Happy
I hope for your sake and mine, that I hear from you!

Thanks!

Collapse -
by mayfair40 / September 30, 2004 8:09 PM PDT

i am getting simular problem, every time i start pc up i have not related it to the mouse but i shall now see if the pattern is the same i also keep getting dev detect come up the only way i can access pc is by going into task manger and stopping these programmes or by clicking on do not send in the report error to microsoft, i have virus and checked with sophos and found 3 errors but no details as to what they are??any advice?

Collapse -
by beblawi / October 30, 2004 1:52 PM PDT

have you found a solution to the problem.
i have the exact same issue.
thanks.

beblawi@noor.net

Collapse -
by Tufenuf / October 30, 2004 9:48 PM PDT
Collapse -
by Flea Bomb / November 13, 2004 1:11 AM PST

Go to http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm

Read the article and download the ShellEx freeware and run it as they say.

I had the same problem and checked the Context Menu Handlers (non-Microsoft) but it accomplished nothing. I decided to check the non-Microsoft Icon Handlers and it turned out to be an icon handler by Adobe.

Now I'm back in business with full right click capabilities.

Collapse -
by eandreas1976 / November 27, 2004 4:59 AM PST

Flea bomb gave as good of help as possible for the issue. Problem FINALLY solved! Sorry for the n00b forum postings from me...again, I will read before typing next time. Thank you.

Collapse -
by eandreas1976 / November 27, 2004 2:58 AM PST

Yes I know this problem as well!!!! It is driving me crazy! I have reinstalled xp even. I usually find in the task manager the drwtsn.exe process and end it which reboots the gui, but does not solve the problem next time I want to get the properties or use the open with feature in the contextual menu. I have updated my logitech software as well and still nothing is better. I like my wireless keyboard and mouse to have to disconnect them inorder to fix the problem, altho i will admit that i do not believe the problem was there before I got that....I had done a fresh install at that time because I had gotten a new hard drive, so I am not sure. Anyway, PLEASE HELP! explain how to disable dr watson if i have to, and if I do that what then will be effected? Thank you =)

Collapse -
by eandreas1976 / November 27, 2004 3:07 AM PST

yeah i know i know, finish reading the thread before posting......none the less I still did not get clear solution here....I'm not like that puter smart n'stuff, reg edit stuff makes me scared...so please, if anyone has a clear explanation I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Collapse -
Solution to right click lockup
by neilmuralee / December 12, 2004 10:48 AM PST

Read flea bombs previous post.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6122-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=37631&messageID=539143

It is all to do with third party programs, not windows.

I have just bought a notebook pc and installed Dr. Divx. Everytime i tried to right click on an image file the hour glass would appear and explorer would freeze and disappear and then come back as normal.

The problem was that explorer had trouble in loading/reading the additions that Dr. Divx added to the right click context menus.

I turned them off using shellex (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/shellexview.html)
and everything works fine.

Neil Muralee

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.