Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Right clicking folder in Win Explorer...gets Error

by rando / September 16, 2004 8:28 PM PDT

Would be curious to find out if anyone else has run into this problem. When I right click a folder or file in Windows Explorer to look at the properties of a folder..I get an error and a "Send message to Microsoft" window...then it will shut down explorer.

Any Ideas....thanks.

Rando

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Right clicking folder in Win Explorer...gets Error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Right clicking folder in Win Explorer...gets Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
not a good sign
by AussiePete / September 16, 2004 8:53 PM PDT

when did this start to happen and can you think of anything you may have done to cause it??
First thing though do a virus and spyware check, as well as a reg error check.
If that fails try a restore point.
It's not a good sign when the context menu plays up!
Also have a look at the details of the error message that will be sent to microsoft - use the important words from this message to do a search MS knowledge base or search the web using www.google.com

Collapse -
Re: not a good sign
by rando / September 23, 2004 11:36 PM PDT
In reply to: not a good sign

Thanks for your tips.....I tried installing SP2 after having this problem to see if it might fix it....ha...but it didn't.

Will try the knowledge base look up.

Collapse -
Re: Right clicking folder in Win Explorer...gets Error
by Drink151 / September 16, 2004 9:51 PM PDT

Did this start with SP2? I get the same problem when I upgrade. I can right click on open space but if I try to right click on a file I get a crash. Dr. Watson stops working and Explorer crashes.
Tried updating drivers but still no luck had to go back to before update to fix it.

Self built system
ASUS A7V333 motherboard
AMD 2100 Processor
Nvidia Gforce 4 TI 4200

Any ideas?
Thanks for your help.
Drinkrum151

Collapse -
by sabrewolf / October 11, 2004 12:41 PM PDT

I had the same problem after installing service pack 2. The way to fix it is to uninstall dr. divx from your computer. That fixed the problem for me.

Collapse -
by james1950 / September 23, 2004 9:31 PM PDT

Hi: Does anyone know how to fix this problem with explorer as I have same thing trying to rt clk C: drive in XP to do a scan disk. Is only way to run scan disk.
Thanks to anyone who helps us out on this.
James~,~

Collapse -
by viperone / September 23, 2004 11:19 PM PDT

I suspect it to be a program bug. Normally happens my folders (especially if it?s copies)on the desktop.
Mine prob?s was solved with placing the folders(the originals) on another drive(i have partition)or by renaming them.

Collapse -
For all with this problem. Use ShellExView ...
by Cetin Denislam / September 24, 2004 12:28 AM PDT

Download ShellExView v1.01 (Freeware).

It'll display the details of shell extensions installed on your computer, and allows you to easily disable.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
by moe8046 / September 24, 2004 1:37 AM PDT

i had the same problem the other day i think some files are corupt i enede up restarting my computer from scratch but first you mite want to try reinstalling files that are damaged or missing thet way to do this first you need the windows cd and in the run command line type the following undocumented command SFC /SCANNOW this will repair any missing or corrupt files

Collapse -
by abinadab / September 24, 2004 2:27 AM PDT

I have XP pro, and I installed the sp2 service pack....I found that I could not right click on any icon or file....I removed the sp2 service pack and that fixed the problem....the same lock up and error msg you got I got. I tried to install again, making sure no other programs were running..ie:virus protection or any thing else..same problem came up..I will call Microsoft as soon as I get a half a day free..

Collapse -
by Drink151 / September 25, 2004 10:21 AM PDT

Finaly fixed my problem like this. I had to uninstall and reinstall all my programs till I got to Shred XP. As soon as I removed Shred XP it worked fine no more crashes.

Hope this helps someone else.

Drink151

Collapse -
also have same problem with right clicking folder and error
by cntrydds1 / March 9, 2009 12:42 PM PDT

Rando,

I too am having problems with right clicking on folders and such and getting "Microsoft Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close". In fact, when I click on the delete key, it also comes up with the same error. Not sure what the problem is but hope to get it cleared up soon. Have tried to change the parameters in My Computer, under properties. Have gone to the advanced tab and have been playing around with that without any luck. Have defraged the computer, cleaned up the system register and more without any luck so far. Tomorrow is another day.

My email address is cntrydds1@aol.com if you were to find the answer. Thanks and best of luck to the both of us.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.