TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Ridiculous HD Question?

by LateBloomer / August 19, 2006 9:45 AM PDT

I apologize in advance if this is a rediculous question, but I'm a bit of a HD virgin. I have always been into AV but have put off picking up a HD set until just last week. After doing a lot research here on CNET and other sites I settled on the Sony KDS-R50XBR1 along with a Denon AVR-2807. I have everything fired up, and put it this way....I havent slept in 2 days. This TV is unbelievable!!! My wife refers to the TV as "The other woman".

I have noticed one small issue I was hopping to get some assistance on. When I watch cable (cable provided by Adelphia through a SA 8300HD cable box connected directly to TV via Monster 800 HDMI cable) there are quality differences between HD channels. I have the cable box set up properly to detect the best signal being broadcast and send it to the TV, and know its working correctly because it will display 1080i..720p...etc on the display. I know to expect slight differences between 1080i & 720p broadcasts but there are definately quality issues between 1080i channels. The "INHD" channles both 1 & 2 and the Discovery Channel are absolutly perfect, but when I watch the local sports network (NESN here in New England) broadcast in 1080i as well.....its not even close. Don't get me wrong...its very very good just not up to the quality of INHD or Discovery. Also, when ever there is a "graphic flash" (not sure what to call it but for example when NESN flashes its logo across the screen in between live shots and replays) whether in 1080i or 720p there is severe pixelation that lasts for about 1 second.

Not sure if both issues are something on my cable provider's end of things or if it my equiptment. If its my equiptment...I'm hopping there is some sort of tweek I can perform to fix it. Maybe its because the programing on INHD and Discovery where developed for HD....not sure. Either way I'm still very pleased with my purchase....just trying to be a perfectionist.

Thanks in advance for your tips, sugestions and comments.

John
(Audio/Video-file in training)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ridiculous HD Question?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ridiculous HD Question?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
upconverted signal
by sirroundsound / August 19, 2006 1:56 PM PDT

Some programming can be upconverted to HD.
AN example, imagine watching an HD news cast, and they show footage of something that happened 10 years ago.
The archived film didn't suddenly become HD quality, it has just been upconverted and sent to you on an HD channel.
Movie channels that are HD, they don't go back and re shoot a movie, nor do they re master it, they are just showing it on an HD channel. You will find you should be able to compare it to a DVD quality.
Live feeds, all dependant on resolution of HD camera gear being used. Many Pro sports use the highest resolution, and best gear, quality is spectacular, Discovery HD and PBS almost always have programming that really shows off HD.

Collapse -
Also.....
by RoadRunner6 / August 19, 2006 4:21 PM PDT
In reply to: upconverted signal

.....all HD signals are not created equally. Those that are created equally can be transmitted at different quality levels. Unfortunately, there is a lot of ''compression'' used in transmitting these signals. One show you watch might be a very high quality signal. The exact same video source could be highly compressed and transmitted by a second station. You would see a definite difference. This might be done by the second network or station to keep extra bandwidth available. They are fudging and cheating you by not giving you the full HD resolution available to them.

RR6

Collapse -
Thanks...a possible alternative???
by LateBloomer / August 19, 2006 8:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Also.....

I have a feeling I might be opening up a can of worms here, but it appears it not my equiptment but the cable that is the root cause and thats a relief. I am curious to know if switching to a dish might give me more consistency among channels.

Thanks

John

Collapse -
Not at this time
by sirroundsound / August 20, 2006 1:40 AM PDT

Both cable and satellite dish companies deliver HD content in various forms. Depending on where you are and the services offered you may find cable will offer more, and less compression used. But this isn't teh case everywhere. All satellite services use some form of compression, but most hd channels come through fine.
If you really want to see the absolute best picture, and you are in the right area, Off air HD channels (use an antenna) are the real deal.
Keep in mind we are still going through the switch from analogue to digital, for the next few years we will have to deal with good signals and not so good ones.
I think content delivered via IP, through a media center will be the way things will move even faster.

Collapse -
I PREFER A DISH SYSTEM TO CABLE
by stewart norrie / August 20, 2006 10:04 AM PDT

A dish may not solve you small problem but a dish system is very flexable the Dish Network box has an over the air hi-def tuner, with many outputs for different home theater set ups Also you can order a VOOM package for $5.00 more I also get the network stations thru the dish system but the over the air picture is so much better Also once you scan your over the air channels using an over the air antenna those stations will go into the program guide along with your other sat. stations Direct t.v. is another great choice good luck stewee

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?