Speakeasy forum

General discussion

by Dango517 / January 21, 2010 2:34 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Rickets
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Rickets
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Solution? Solar powered computers, or would that be seen as
by Ziks511 / January 21, 2010 6:25 PM PST
In reply to: Rickets

playing into the hands of the ecology lobby?

Collapse -
Danger, Will Robinson....
by Willy / January 22, 2010 12:12 AM PST

Press <Enter> to continue.....

It never ceases to amaze me, how they connect this to that or whatever. I'm sure they'll come back next year and say its more of this or that and discount the past research as it unfolds. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
They got it partly right ...
by Bill Osler / January 22, 2010 10:27 AM PST

Rickets is due to vitamin d deficiency, vit d deficiency is becoming more common and sun exposure is part of the problem. I don't think video games per se are the problem. The problem is that the entire culture is becoming less active and more passive.

Collapse -
Is it safe yet?
by Willy / January 22, 2010 12:34 PM PST

Aussies enjoy the sun and practically dive into it. They have the most skin cancer out there, so they can allow they're kids to enjoy less sun. I can only image if some indoor time would be mandatory for them. Heck, why not load up the McD's with vitamins and say that's the way to fulfill the deficiency. Happy -----Willy

Collapse -
Life is a good premise for a video game
by Steven Haninger / January 22, 2010 7:07 PM PST
In reply to: Is it safe yet?

Good grief...we already have a game called Life based with a goal of gaining wealth so why not one of retaining health? I remember another called "Oregon Trail" having to do with making proper survival choices while moving westward. I never got much further than the town line. Happy Ok, so your PS3 will lead to vitamin D deficiency and you turn to beach volleyball instead only to find malignant melanoma awaits you later. You turn from red meat to chicken to keep your lipids under control only to find yourself growing anemic. The list goes on and on. Face it....we're in a game with the cards stacked against us right from birth. And we all get to that point of wondering..."if I had it all to do over again...." but no God Mode exists in this video game. Wink

Collapse -
much further than the town line
by jonah jones / January 22, 2010 7:15 PM PST
i never got further than the local saloon

Collapse -
(NT) Good one...still laughing (-:
by Steven Haninger / January 22, 2010 7:39 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) The Sims
by EdHannigan / January 22, 2010 9:50 PM PST
Collapse -
by J. Vega / January 23, 2010 3:52 AM PST

Dr. Bill, does sunscreen have an effect on vitamin D uptake? That thought hit me as I've seen a lot of advice on the media recommending that kids be slathered with a heavy SPF one when going outside to play in the sun.

Collapse -
Sunscreen may be part of the problem ...
by Bill Osler / January 23, 2010 7:36 AM PST
In reply to: Thought...

Most people believe sunscreen does block formation of Vit D from sun exposure. Whether that has been solidly proved in a laboratory I don't know.

We find ourselves in a bind from a prevention perspective. The measures that protect against melanoma do appear to raise the risk of osteoporosis and, less commonly, rickets. Most of us probably need to take vit d supplements.

Skin color matters. I read somewhere that African American adolescents have rates of Vit D deficiency over 50% in the US. Dark pigment protects against sun damage in high intensity settings (eg: Equatorial locations) but there is a reason the people whose anscestors historically lived further North have lighter skin. Dark skin also blocks Vit D production.

Collapse -
Sunlight = Vitamin D, but if food
by Willy / January 23, 2010 10:59 AM PST

Here's the scale of what you have to eat to equal 10min. of sunshine.

Sun 10min= 6 1/2 lbs. of shiitake mushrooms or 150 egg yolks or 3 3/4 lbs. of farm fresh salmon or 30 serving of fortified cereal or 2 1/6 lbs. of sardines or 30 cups of fortified OJ

Strange to talk of rickets and found this in the AARP magazine 9-10/09 issue. Recommend 100o IU of Vit. D supplement if unable to do the real sun routine of 10-15min. several times during the week. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Some people need even more than that
by Bill Osler / January 23, 2010 11:21 AM PST

I have a few patients who have to take about 100,000 units of Vit D every week just to keep their levels in a good range Most of us don't need that much - but a lot of older women do need about 1200 units daily or more.

Collapse -
The sun room
by Willy / January 25, 2010 5:52 AM PST

Most solariums(sp) were in use in the early medical hospitals if for anything just to make you feel good. It was nice to feel the sun on your face. Now, the real medical fact its more than a feeling but a requirement it seems. Heck, it actually works. I know I feel better when I can look out the window if for anything else to do so and stretch the legs and see something other than the walls. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Or maybe not ...
by Bill Osler / January 25, 2010 10:43 AM PST
In reply to: The sun room

I'm sure the sun room feels nice, but I'm not sure that it helps with Vitamin D. IIRC, Vit D production requires UV light, which is substantially blocked by most window glass.

I'm sure that some kinds of glass behave differently regarding UV light transmission but I doubt that the old solariums were designed to admit much UV light and doing so would have been problematic anyway.

Collapse -
Here's a question
by Dango517 / January 27, 2010 8:29 AM PST

is morning and evening Sun safer then mid-day Sun because the radiation has to pass through the atmosphere more due of the Sun's AM/PM angle? Can morning/evening Sun bathers skip the Sun screen?

Collapse -
I don't know all the details ....
by Bill Osler / January 27, 2010 10:50 AM PST
In reply to: Here's a question

I'm told that there is less UV light in early AM or late PM BUT that doesn't mean you can safely tan during those times. Since the UV light that helps with Vit D is also the UV light that can burn you there is no safe tanning.

Collapse -
(NT) Thank you
by Dango517 / January 27, 2010 8:51 PM PST
Collapse -
Here's the thinking
by Dango517 / January 24, 2010 4:22 AM PST

Kids enjoy video games so much they stay indoors more now then ever before. This in turn leads to less Sun exposure for them and this in turn leads to Rickets.

I did not put this here for the kids, by the way, I put it here for you Speakeasy folks and other who do PCs a lot, like myself. It is real I had this affliction several years ago. So, I do my vitamin D now. Myself, I believe it's more of a problem in Winter and it is Winter now.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?