Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Rice: Gun Rights Important As Free Speech

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, recalling how her father took up arms to defend fellow blacks from racist whites in the segregated South, said Wednesday the constitutional right of Americans to own guns is as important as their rights to free speech and religion.

In an interview on CNN's "Larry King Live," Rice said she came to that view from personal experience. She said her father, a black minister, and his friends armed themselves to defended the black community in Birmingham, Ala., against the White Knight Riders in 1962 and 1963. She said if local authorities had had lists of registered weapons, she did not think her father and other blacks would have been able to defend themselves.

Birmingham, where Rice was born in 1954, was a focal point of racial tension. Four black girls were killed when a bomb exploded at a Birmingham church in 1963, a galvanizing moment in the fight for civil rights.

Rice said she favored background checks and controls at gun shows. However, she added, "we have to be very careful when we start abridging rights that the Founding Fathers thought very important."

Rice said the Founding Fathers understood "there might be circumstances that people like my father experienced in Birmingham, Ala., when, in fact, the police weren't going to protect you."

"I also don't think we get to pick and choose from the Constitution," she said in the interview, which was taped for airing Wednesday night. "The Second Amendment is as important as the First Amendment."

i new i liked this lady and id vote in a NY min for her.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050512/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/rice_guns_1&printer=1

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Rice: Gun Rights Important As Free Speech
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Rice: Gun Rights Important As Free Speech
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) She's right, why is this news ?

In reply to: Rice: Gun Rights Important As Free Speech

Collapse -
Not in the transcript.

Collapse -
CNN comes clean (and something else for Mrs. DK)

In reply to: Not in the transcript.

Apparently, after several blogs picked up on the same thing I did, CNN updated the transcript to include the exchange on gun rights/the 2nd Amendment.

And I wonder if Mrs. DK has heard about the following incident:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/sun/2005/may/16/518762747.html

When a patrol officer arrived the suspect tried to run away. The officer used his Taser gun on him, Dillon said, but it did not subdue him.

The man grabbed the officer's Taser gun, and the officer pulled out his baton but that also had little effect on the suspect, Dillon said. The suspect became increasing aggressive and took the baton from the officer.

As the suspect began to attack the officer with his own baton, the officer shot the suspect multiple times, Dillon said. The suspect was taken to University Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2005/May-17-Tue-2005/news/26536244.html

The officer fired the Taser at a close distance, Dillon said, and its wires made contact with the suspect. But one of the Taser's two prongs did not stick to its target, so the suspect grabbed the Taser wire and ripped it out of the officer's hands. Dillon said the Taser could have, but did not, zap the suspect with 50,000 volts.

Is Mrs. DK willing to bet her life on a Taser? - Mark

Collapse -
maybe dk does

In reply to: CNN comes clean (and something else for Mrs. DK)

and if the persons wearing a heavey coat taser smaser.
ill use my 44 nothing will stop it at close range

Collapse -
There are many circumstances in which the police cannot or

will not protect you. Do you remember the police pulling out of parts of LA during the Rodney King riots?

It's interesting that the anti-gun group is not posting here. I wonder why.

Collapse -
you ever notice how long it takes

In reply to: There are many circumstances in which the police cannot or

for the poilice to respond to an home invasion?

i hope my trust taser held its charge:D

Collapse -
I posted

In reply to: There are many circumstances in which the police cannot or

Can't speak for anyone else in the ''anti-gun crowd'' but I tend not to post much in these kinds of threads for two reasons:

1. It accomplishes nothing; you're as set in your views as I am in mine. It would just turn into a shouting match and it would be a repeat of a shouting match we've had many times.

2. I just prefer to stay out of certain threads and let you guys high-five each other to your hearts' content. Enjoy.

Collapse -
Honestly Mark

Didn't you post this in order to create yet another hot debate about gun laws? We know the position of the majority here and so do you. You are free to post whatever you want, but I am sure that if somebody posted something that was against the extremely liberal gun laws in America, there would be more than one moderator screaming about it.

Collapse -
go tell it to the mountain

In reply to: Honestly Mark

i post what i deem important.
you can ignore, reply, complain, or go away

we have people constantly posting ant USA posts here

and allot of SE is from the USA, do the mods scream about it?

so tibbs if my posts "really" bother you ignore them other wise don't complain you have the ability to not read them.

Collapse -
And there you have it, Tibbs

In reply to: go tell it to the mountain

You're either against gun control legislation or you're ''anti USA.''

And yes, at least one of the mods screams about it quite regularly, calling anyone to his left "anti-American" and/or a "troll."

Pathetic.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) your not worth it

In reply to: And there you have it, Tibbs

Collapse -
And once again.........

In reply to: And there you have it, Tibbs

YOU used the word Anti American, No one else did!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) perhaps a guilty conscience

In reply to: And once again.........

Collapse -
My conscience is clear

In reply to: (NT) perhaps a guilty conscience

I'm very comfortable and proud of my opinions and the choices I've made in the voting booth. OK, maybe voting for John Anderson in 1980 wasn't the swiftest move. But other than that, I'm just fine.

Collapse -
Try to follow me, Glenda

If we're having a discussion about racism and I make several references to someone using the "N" word, you can't turn around and say "Josh used the 'N' word more times than so-and-so!" Yes I used it but not in the way you're suggesting.

Same here. And no Mark, it's not a guilty conscience. Get a grip.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Mark simply didn't say what you claim.

In reply to: Try to follow me, Glenda

Collapse -
Thank you Josh........

In reply to: Try to follow me, Glenda

your nasty put down has been noted!

Collapse -
Actually Glenda Mark did say the equivalent of

Collapse -
and where did i say

In reply to: Actually Glenda Mark did say the equivalent of

being for gun regs is anti american?

i said alot of stuff some se people here post are anti usa
not say if your for gun regs your anti usa.

heck my sisters want gun controls.

i have gun control i hit what i shoot at

Collapse -
i hit what i shoot at

In reply to: and where did i say

How long has it been since "what you are shooting at"

Has been shooting back?;)

Collapse -
not as long as you have

In reply to: i hit what i shoot at

thats why i practice

you should remeber you work for us

Collapse -
Response

In reply to: not as long as you have

"he" didn't answer that question, and neither can you.

Collapse -
i did answer the question

In reply to: Response

i beleave in gun control: control of a gun is hitting what you aim at.

and beleave me i hit excatly what i shoot at.

Collapse -
This is the question that I would like answered

In reply to: i did answer the question

you should remeber you work for us

What does it mean? How do I work for us? Who is us?

You made the statement, DE makes the same statement and neither one have an answer. (yet)
Collapse -
It means

In reply to: This is the question that I would like answered

The more the Democrats whine, cry, falsely accuse, and run down the Republicans, the more good they do FOR the Republicans than for themselves because people are seeing that the Dems are just trying to create distractions from the fact that they don't have a plan or idea to present. For anything. Ergo, the Dems are actually working FOR the Reps when they do these things.

That's what DE means.

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
Sorry, But you are wrong.........

In reply to: Actually Glenda Mark did say the equivalent of

we DO have people making a lot of anti-American posts!
But Mark didn't call anyone an Anti-American in this thread!

Collapse -
in this thread!

In reply to: Sorry, But you are wrong.........

Why the qualifier?

Did he in another thread?

Collapse -
Do you know how to read, JP?

In reply to: in this thread!

Go look if you want to know

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No

In reply to: Do you know how to read, JP?

Collapse -
yes in other threads

In reply to: in this thread!

but not here like some claim

remember you work for us

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.