Mac OS forum

General discussion

Reviving iMac G3 1998 Model B

by Walterob / April 6, 2011 5:30 AM PDT

This computer was used for a few years and then left unused when the owner passed away. I'd like to see if I can get it working again, maybe to donate. It boots up, accesses the Internet via Ethernet, and seems stable. The browser is Netscape Navigator 4.0. It crashes when I try to download. What browser can I use with OS 8.5.1? How do I install it? (I have a PC but no other Mac.) How could I update software to 8.6? (I have disks for 8.5.) I have seen in another posting that with a firmware update I could even run OS 9, possibly X. (Current RAM is 64 MB. Can I upgrade to 256? A RAM dealer says so.) Any advice along these or other lines will be greatly appreciated. I know a bit about OS X on newer iMacs and MacBooks, but not this legacy model.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reviving iMac G3 1998 Model B
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reviving iMac G3 1998 Model B
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Count the coins for this upgrade.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 5:46 AM PDT

I see an iBook G4 with 512MB, 40GB, Apple Airport (WiFi), Bluetooth, CDRW/DVD and running OSX for 229 at http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=M984

My thought is that you sell it off for 99 bucks and find something better for not much more.
Bob

Collapse -
Not so much the money
by Walterob / April 7, 2011 3:02 AM PDT

The surviving spouse is interested in seeing whether we can revive this. It is more a matter of memories than of monetary investment. I would recommend he not invest much in this effort, but if successful this would bring considerable satisfaction. Otherwise, I'd recommend a replacement too. Thanks for your suggestion.

Collapse -
This iMac will easily go to 9.2.1
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 7, 2011 10:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Not so much the money

without the need for a firmware update, and with it, maybe even 9.2.2

While the update to 8.6 is a free one, it's a download from Apple, System 9 would be a purchase.

256MB of RAM is possible but I would not hold out much chance of running OS X. It would probably run but you would need the patience of Job to wait while it accomplished anything, including booting.
I would shelve that idea.

If nostalgia is the only reason it is being resurrected, then you have achieved your goal already.
Internet Explorer 5 is the highest browser that will run on it, if you can find it, and most of the websites today will not display correctly on it.

If you have the original disks, then I would suggest what is known as a Clean Install of the System. That will put a new system onto the drive.
Alternatively, if there is no data that needs to be saved, use the original disks to Restore the machine to the state that it was in when the box was first opened.
Should run just fine then.

P

Collapse -
Reply to mrmacfixit
by Walterob / April 7, 2011 9:50 PM PDT

Thank you for this very helpful information. I do have the original disks and will do a clean install and restore. Perhaps then I can download and install 8.6 - the earliest, as I understand it, to run a version of one of the alternative browsers I checked out. What is your opinion of Classilla and iCab as installs?

Collapse -
I've never tried either of those browsers
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 7, 2011 9:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply to mrmacfixit

but I have heard good things about iCab.

At least they still have a version that they say works on 8.6

P

Collapse -
Imac restore
by patricdeimon / January 22, 2013 5:23 AM PST

This is an old thread. If you are still looking for imac parts or info i have vram and memory. Soame other parts too.

Collapse -
Not a for sale forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 5:27 AM PST
In reply to: Imac restore

This old thread from 2011 is now closed.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!