General discussion

Reviews for Online Stores

I am in the market for a Digital SLR (D-20, N70, N100)

I have heard some of the horror stories and I am just wondering if there is a website out there that reviews online stores. If not can I get some input from you guys.

I would really appreciate it.

thanks,
Mike

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Reviews for Online Stores
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Reviews for Online Stores
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Rating Online Stores

CNet uses a rating system for Online Merchants.

Example:

http://shopper.cnet.com/Canon_EOS_20D/4014-6501_9-30994097.html?tag=pop

Under the Certified rating - a quick reference - 5 stars out of five is the best.

For more detail look under the Store Logo (left side) and click "Store Profile".

If you get to shopping in unknown waters, and you see a price that is too good to be true. Well....It is!

The majority of the "big hustle" merchants are located in and around New York City.

My rule of thumb - If you cannot find a complete physical address for the business on the website - that is a clue that they don't want you to know where they are.

- Collapse -
Just search for the camera here on cnet...

Hit the check for prices button and several stores will come up with a rating by them.

Another way to do it is by a google search for the camera. Several of the sites that will come up will be bizrate, pricegrabber, everyprice, etc... My favorite is bizrate because of the numerous reviews and handy rating scale. These sites will list tons of places to buy the camera. They also contain many reviews for each online business... If there aren't many reviews for a certain store or they aren't very good then I'd stay away!

I did the same thing when purchasing my camera and ended up buying from beachcamera.com I got the camera Fedex in two days just as I had hoped!

I really don't know of any site that is only for the purpose of comparing businesses.

Good luck!

Brent

- Collapse -
horror stories

Go to resellerratings.com and you will find a hugh database on many, many internet vendors. This includes lots of feedback from customers, good and bad. I think it is a very helpful site.

Good luck,

- Collapse -
Store Reviews

Beware! Even some of these websites are bogus. Particularly "Shopcart.com" They refused to post my negative review of Express Cameras. After a closer look at the Shopcart website I realized there were no negative reviews! They probably get a kick-back from their "preferred affiliate vendors" or whatever they call them. If you bought from one of them as I did, they won't post anything negative. Stick with Cnet!

CNET Forums

Forum Info