Phones forum

Question

Reviews/Comparisons of Services of Prepaid Cell Providers

by gogreen25 / August 10, 2011 3:42 AM PDT

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">I have been looking into prepaid cell phone providers and am trying to get some feedback on their service/reviews from previous/current users. Boost Mobile has unlimited talk/text/web/411/IM/Email for $50/mt; Virgin Mobile has unlimited talk/text/data/messaging for $55/mt; StraightTalk (which is a branch of Tracfone) has unlimited talk/text/web/411 for $45/mt or $540/yr.
<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">I've tried to research reviews but it seems that either I find old reviews or the same couple websites. I would really appreciate ANY and all feedback as I am trying to go without a contract and literally cut my cell phone bill in half!
<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">Thanks in advance! Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reviews/Comparisons of Services of Prepaid Cell Providers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reviews/Comparisons of Services of Prepaid Cell Providers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Not much has changed recently.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2011 3:48 AM PDT

However I do find folk call a 3 month old review dated. Unless it's from today or yesterday it's yesterday's news it seems.

My son has the Virgin Mobile other plan at 35 a month and it's OK. Just the data drops out about once a hour which could ruin a gamer's day.
Bob

Collapse -
by gogreen25 / August 10, 2011 3:53 AM PDT

thanks for the input, that's good to know seeing that I use data like crazy, but I have Verizon now and their data used to be great and it sucks now too

Collapse -
Don't have Verizon but Sprint here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2011 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: ....

And remember this varies with location, location and location -> Sprint's 3G drops out about every 2 hours. It comes right back in a minute but for gamers that want to tether to get to the internet it (again) ruins the service for them.

My bet is that all the data links are crowded in most locations. Voice seems to work 99% of the time.
Bob

Collapse -
by gogreen25 / August 10, 2011 6:39 AM PDT

i'm in the suburbs of birmingham, AL, so generally speaking I'm in a big city with a big market

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?