Storage forum

General discussion

review/opinions on this mini drive

I have found this mini drive: http://202.21.128.4/photoserver/58/9072758_full.jpg for dirt cheap. I'm wondering what the heck it's about, becaues I've never seen it before. It's incredibly tempting because of the price, but I'm not one for rushing into a rip off!!!
So, anyone seen this type before? No brand is mentioned, nor do I see one on the pic. The cable looks like a pain, but for the price I could live with it.

I really don't know anything but the basics about mini drives, but am looking at one (obviously). I know that not all are the same, and some are, bluntly, cr@p! Other than forking out for it and finding out for myself, any ideas for checking it out (I've tryed searching, I can't find anything like this...)

Here's the info from the auction:
* Just like a flash drive but provides greater storage capacity and durability
* Great alternative to using large storage mediums like dvd-r/rw.
* Especially useful for transferring huge amounts of data between multiple computers which have no dvd burner or other large storage device... no software required all you need is a usb port!
* Piece of cake to use simply plug into your USB port and drag and drop files, driverless operation for most opertaing systems
* Tiny size, similar dimensions to a matchbox, easily fits in your pocket in a neat leather pouch.

Capacity: 2GB (formatted)
Interface: USB 2.0 & USB 1.1
Average write rate: 3.1MB/sec (max 3.7, min 2.8)
Average read rate: 4.2MB/sec (max 4.9, min 3.7)
Size: 5.3 x 4.8 x 1.2cm

Supports: Windows 98/SE/ME/2000/XP, Linux 2.4x, Mac 8.6 or later

Accessories:
- CD with drivers
- USB lead
- Leather protective pouch
- User's manual
- Attractive gift box

Ok, so it's not supre fast or anything, but it's less than half the price of other 2GB mini drives here...

Opinions and ideas will be greatly recived!!!!

FD

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: review/opinions on this mini drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: review/opinions on this mini drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hmm, I figure

In reply to: review/opinions on this mini drive

that I might as well buy a normal external 40GB hard drive or something... As they're pretty small still (I just want it easy to take with me, it doesn't have to be a tiny flash drive) adn they don't really cost all that much more for a whole lot more memory!

Now to reserch external hard drives........ lol!

FD

Collapse -
All I can offer is first thoughts

In reply to: review/opinions on this mini drive

You did not mention the price. 2 gigs seems almost small these days as microdrives are getting larger and larger so much would depend on your use and what you would connect to. You also said it was an auction item which means someone wants to get rid of it....must be a reason for that. I presume no warranty and no support. If true, I say...no sale.

Collapse -
thanks.........

In reply to: All I can offer is first thoughts

I've found a cheaper one still, so I doubt I'd go for the one I linked to. And the price is in NZ, so really only relevant in NZ (no, I don't havea credit card to buy from the US)
2GB may be small, but then my entire computer, programs and photos and everything, uses only 11GB, so I'm not going to be using a whole heap. And, micro drives might be getting bigger, but their prices are too, and I need one within the month. 2GB is about the biggest I can afford in NZ, anything else is still too new and therefore sold at highly over rated prices!

My use will be simply to back up all my photos. I have 1.2GB of them, and that's taken me about 4 years to accumulate, so by the time I use it up and need a bigger one, there will be better choice! hehe. What I would connect to would be my 5 year old computer, and to anyone elses I wished.

And yes it's an auction, but it is being sold as a brand new item, along with 5 others exactly the same. Alot of people buy in things and sell them off again on auction sites for a profit, so auction doesn't nessesarily mean secondhand... It also has a one month warranty (yeah I know, not much, but better than nothing!)

But anyway, I've found a 2GB drive for $85NZ that I'm considering, I'm just waiting for the seller to answer a couple of questions first...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!