Desktops forum

General discussion

Review of my PC BUILD using AMD X2 3800+...

by prodesma / April 2, 2006 7:24 AM PDT

It's been nearly 5 months since I built this up, I run XP Pro:

AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2.0 GHz (running 2.5GHz easily)
DFI nF4 SLI-DR mobo, cpu running 4.25v, 250 MHz x 10
2GB (2x1GB) OCZ Platinum DDR500 RAM (running 1:1, 250MHz, 3-3-2-7, 2.6v)
OCZ 520ADJ PSU & Aspire X-Cruiser Case, Red
ThermalTake Thunderblade 120mm rear fan 78 cfm 21 dBA
3 x 80mm Logisys CF80UVBL fans 35 cfm 24dBA
ATi All-in-Wonder X600 256MB video
Audigy Soundblaster Pro Gamer sound
3 x 250GB Western Digital SE16 Caviar SATA II HDs, 16MB buffer (non-raid)
NEC 3540A DVD DL writer & Mitsumi 7-in-1 floppy/card reader
Philips 190B6Cs/27 19'' LCD monitor
Logitech LX500 wireless key/mouse set

I am thrilled by the results. Any considering running dual processors, it is soooo worth it. Not only for now, but for Vista. I can edit photos in Photoshop and burn a cd in the background with no lag. Even while running disk defrag or something else too. Gaming while doing a full backup, you get the idea.

If I could do over, I might not get the Audigy card, the on-board Karajan Audio is pretty good, and I don't use my puter for hi-fi. I wouldn't change much else, maybe get Hitachi drives instead of WD, I had two warranty replacements with WD for bad drives, so QC doesn't give me any confidence with WD.

My total cost was about $2300 including monitor, operating system, and all components with tax/shipping. I can run 2.68GHz stable forever, just step it down to 2.5GHz to reduce wear, voltage, and heat. DFI mobo and BIOS are the best, and I love OCZ for the PSU and RAM sticks. I can't believe this DDR500 can run up to 2.7GHz (divider brings to about 275MHz) at 2.7v and like 3-3-3-8 settings or something.

Obviously my bottleneck is video card. But it has tv tuner and can TRANSFER my camcorder dv tape movies to DIGITAL without any additional adapters. And I don't use gaming much- photshop has NO lag at all. Far Cry can't go max settings, but UT2004 can go maxed out beautifully. Plus, my vid card was only about $120 after rebate.

If you are building a rig, drop me a line. Cheers.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Review of my PC BUILD using AMD X2 3800+...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Review of my PC BUILD using AMD X2 3800+...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nice
by nathanpsz2 / April 2, 2006 9:36 AM PDT

Since you're not gaming, the crappy x600 isn't a problem, and other than that, you've built a nice system.

I also have an x600; just not the AIW. I have overclocked it to 565/620 MHz core/memory from 450/580MHz core/memory on the stock GPU fan with no VRAM heatsinks, which is probably why I can't overclock the memory higher. The GPU also has a wussy little fan which I'm soon going to replace.

Collapse -
Yeah, thx... and I figure I can...
by prodesma / April 2, 2006 3:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Nice

First off, thx nathan... I always had a pretty tight budget while building (believe it or not!). These choices allowed me the best performance and the most impact from upgrading later.

I know I'd love to have dual vid cards for SLI, but couldn't have afforded hi-performance ones right away (at about 800 total back in Nov. for a pair of 7800 GT OC's, you've gotta be kidding me!). Maybe by early next year I can pick up some 7800 OC's for a song.

I'm running my x600 at 115 MHz, but that hardly counts as an OC. Yes, my GPU gets a bit hot without a dedicated fan, but the FRONT case fans blowing back help that quite a bit.

Oh yeah, I have the Zalman HSF, I think it's the 7700 AlCu, by FAR the loudest fan in my box, but it seems to be quite nice.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?