General discussion

Review of "Ethics in Artificial Intelligence (AI)"

Review of ?Ethics In Artificial Intelligence? by Colleen Camara

?I will tease your mind into thinking just what Artificial Intelligence is. By presenting various views by scientists and philosophers you will see what has been accomplished and what has not been accomplished in broad terms. I invite you to make your mind up as to when it will be necessary to press the panic button.?

Colleen presents this theme in light of the fact that we may be working towards ?Post Human Days? (coined by Vernor Vinge). She considers not only the fact that we seem to be working against ourselves in the labor sense, but she also presents the fact that whatever the AI Agent might ?commit? in an unethical way can only be attributed to the humans who programmed it. Both ethical and unethical behavior must be identified within the AI algorithms.
She expresses that even though we use AI technology in the medical and defense worlds, through research we are trying to further understand the mechanisms of intelligence. ?In order to simulate humans, we will have to learn more about the mechanics of human intelligence.? Even at that, once we discover the mechanisms, they might not translate smoothly into an AI design. AI should not work independently and it should have a view of the world. In other words, learn on its own.

So, those of you who are waiting with bated breath for your AI Synthetic Human, we have a long way to go. It is said they will be ready in 40 years. Although, you can find a cheaper, basic versions being marketed in Japan. The ones I saw online can be made to look like the lady of the house. Isn?t that creepy? I wonder whether we will be able to patent our looks? How ethical is that?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Review of "Ethics in Artificial Intelligence (AI)"
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Review of "Ethics in Artificial Intelligence (AI)"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

CNET Forums

Forum Info