Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Reusable Grocery Bags. Really A Better Idea Than Plastic?

by James Denison / November 25, 2011 1:21 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reusable Grocery Bags. Really A Better Idea Than Plastic?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reusable Grocery Bags. Really A Better Idea Than Plastic?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
one time
by Glenda. / November 25, 2011 2:12 AM PST

after going to the grocery I came down with impetigo! I won't touch those carts until I wash them down with wipes.

Collapse -
It's those snotty nosed kids
by James Denison / November 25, 2011 2:48 AM PST
In reply to: one time

They ride in the carts facing mommy, drooling and snotting all over the car handle, and that's if they don't ooze out something from a diaper because Mommy only needed them to wait a bit longer for the bathroom.

Collapse -
so true
by Glenda. / November 25, 2011 4:30 AM PST

I didn't take my kids out when they were sick, But not everyone cares if they make others sick:(

Collapse -
I have seen dirty diapers left in shopping carts
by James Denison / November 25, 2011 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: so true

Once one cart had already been returned to the inside of the store, I guess by their lot monkey. I don' t know if they changed the kid at their car and dropped into the cart so they didn' t have to carry it home with them, or didn't want to make effort to drop in trash can at the store, or if they changed the diaper while shopping and left it there after checking out into another cart. The cleanest cart may be the old rusty one off the side of the lot because at least it's been rained on and baked in the sun for a few days.

Collapse -
Looks like a double edged sword
by Steven Haninger / November 25, 2011 11:29 PM PST

The plastic bags don't degrade and anything re-usable should be kept sanitary. Another factor may be the bugs that have always been a threat have been improving their own survivability more quickly than have their human hosts.

Collapse -
we save the plastic bags
by James Denison / November 25, 2011 11:54 PM PST

Keep stuffing them into one bag till it's full, then tie it off by the handles. After we get a few the wife drops them off for recycle at the store, or puts in the recycle bin at curb for pickup. Some we use again, but they don't really fit even the smaller garbage cans very well. They are good for poop and scoop catsand use too. Most use is in summer for taking to garden to put produce into for easy carry back to house.

Collapse -
Mixed paper and plastic here
by Steven Haninger / November 26, 2011 12:24 AM PST

We line the smaller trash cans with the plastic bags. Those that cover rolled up newspaper are good to use on paint rollers when a project will take some time to complete. It saves some cleanup waste between uses. We do as you do when these build up. We also take paper bags when we can and use these for paper recycling. Once a week I take everything to a single stream recycling place in the grocery store out lot. The rule for plastic bags is to reuse them at least once and recycle the overflow. We actually recycle more than we discard with the weekly trash. But my wife does use those "green" bags at some stores. I don't know if you have Aldi's in Md. but these don't provide bags at no charge. You take your own bags or pay for paper bags. They also require a 25c deposit on the shopping cart which gets returned when you take the cart back to the corral.
I am seeing those sanitary cart wipes in the local groceries as well and I've seen people scrub down a cart using several of them...sometimes delaying other customers from accessing the carts during that time. It's getting rather nutty and I'm not sure all of this sudden interest in constant disinfection is really worth the hassle or will save one from illness. All the while we are hearing that our obsession with killing these bugs just allows the stronger ones to live and reproduce.

Collapse -
I use my plastic bags for trash can liners
by Diana Forum moderator / November 26, 2011 1:31 AM PST

for the small ones in the various rooms. I also take some to church for the same thing and some to the library for the patrons.

Diana

Collapse -
(NT) Let's test children's lunch boxes next!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2011 5:19 AM PST
Collapse -
Custom eco friendly bags

Reusable grocery bag is much healthier for economy than using a disposable bag. But we need to be very careful when using this bag because a study says that reusable grocery bag contains heath hazardous.
So I suggest that use separate bags for raw meat, seafood and product.

Wash bags after each use.

After washing, make sure the bags are dry before storing.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.