General discussion

Return of The Misery Index

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Return of The Misery Index
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Return of The Misery Index
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
May be Obama should start a Happiness Index
- Collapse -
Gee, what a surprise, the post Reagan doldrums, and the post

"you know who" doldrums, and an index guaranteed to generate what it pretends to report. I wonder whose operatives thought those up. Devil

And not even stirred up by me. I feel such a failure Silly Sarc, sarc.

Rob

- Collapse -
First line in the second link

The misery index was initiated by economist Arthur Okun, an adviser to President Lyndon Johnson in the 1960's. It is simply the unemployment rate added to the inflation rate.

- Collapse -
Sorry, I mis-spoke, a post Nixon-Ford doldrums response.

Source still the same though.

Rob

- Collapse -
And I'm the one with the putative pathology Dr. Bill?

Clearly I have been both too polite, and too frankly revealing about myself.

"But you jes' keep hidin' in them woods. An' you jes' waits while I gets to stirrin', an this ole pot gets to boilin."

Sorry, I was reading about Tim Palenty's host in New Hampshire who called Obama a "jungle alien". Clearly the cousin of a type of rabbit found in those parts. But there's no racism in the Republican Party, not a bit.

And I'm the one with a problem!? Hah !!

Rob

- Collapse -
No, this was something that backfired on Carter

He used it a lot in his campaigning and later the Misery Index came back to bite him instead. Like many things the Democrats dream up to paint someone else as worse than their candidate, it came back against them four years later. Don't blame Republicans when Democrats shoot themselves in their own foot or both feet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misery_index_%28economics%29

During the Presidential campaign of 1976, Democratic candidate Jimmy Carter
made frequent references to the Misery Index, which by the summer of
1976 was at 13.57%. Carter stated that no man responsible for giving a
country a misery index that high had a right to even ask to be
President. Carter won the 1976 election. However, by 1980, when
President Carter was running for re-election against Ronald Reagan, the Misery Index had reached an all-time high of 21.98%. Carter lost the election to Reagan.

CNET Forums