Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

Return of the long, long load and maybe a clue?

by tobeach / March 28, 2004 3:08 PM PST

W98SE, IE5.5 & Mozilla 1.4 P3 866.

Last Thursday & Fri. (Mar 25 & 26th) approx. 1AM EST., the loading of the AV&SEC page (my usual enter page) was displaying much improved loading time < 40 seconds v/s upto 4 + minutes days previous ( same approx. time).

Tonight (Mar 28th) looooong loads returned with a vengence. Partial help by clicking "stop load" button but only partial page load. "Refresh" somewhat quicker.
Sad
Curious point: within 3 minutes of leaving page under IE, I returned via Moz.1.4 and load time was < 30 seconds excepting right side of page (where log in resides) which took additional 20 secs to load. Seemed to be a vertical break from left side of page where posts are listed. Hoping this isn't a red herring!

Thanks for Forum SEARCH engine!!! After 2 hours of back paging thru AV &S looking for a post I'd given up hope for this most valuable of uses of accumulated knowledge contained in the past posts!!! Makes this site a much more valuable resource for the world. Tell the bean counters that this entitles them to new "White Hats"!!! Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Return of the long, long load and maybe a clue?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Return of the long, long load and maybe a clue?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"White Hats"?.....
by John Robie / March 29, 2004 3:21 AM PST

"White Hats" for the bean counters? As far as I'm concerned white hats belong to Lee Koo/Laura Roberts and as Lee has said,

"Notice the search is powered by Thunderstone and not by the forum software. That's because I had to go another route to get this search feature implemented. Thanks to the people at Thunderstone and Laura Roberts from our staff for all the help to make this happen!"

I would hope the 'Operations Department' Programmers/Engineers that handle the Community forums software will strive to find time (resources) to FIX this latest problem (crawling) and then look at finding time (resources) to generate a little resources with restoring ads, so that some of the "Wish List" items can be addressed, then get "White Hats". The only notable improvement I've noticed from them since this new forum software started 5 months ago is fixing 'message marking'.

http://ion.pattern.net/zd/wishlist/wishlist.cgi

JR

Collapse -
Re: Perhaps a little loose with hat distribution & load update
by tobeach / March 29, 2004 2:24 PM PST
In reply to: "White Hats"?.....

Hi, John. Good to hear from you! I am embarrassed Shocked to type that you're certainly right that the hats belong as you indicate but I'm assuming they have so many by now that they'll need to ship the excess somewhere and I thought we could, perhaps, embarrass the bean counters into being a little looser with the strings!
oh well, best laid plans...! Thanks again to Lee & Laura!

As of 1AM Tues. morn (29th) Entry via AV &S page loaded in 11 SECONDS FLAT! YAHOOOO!! Grin Thought something got straightened out but when came here to FEEDBACK took upwards of 1 minute . NOTE: Entry at AV & S not yet logged in. Log in performed between there and here. ???!! Oh well. Using IE this visit.
Still much improved from 4 + minutes! Keep at it please! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?