MacBooks forum

General discussion

Return MacBook Pro for MacBook?

by arice727 / August 12, 2010 6:24 AM PDT

I started shopping around for a new laptop a couple weeks ago and finally decided that I wanted a Mac, even though it was more than I wanted to spend. When I saw that MicroCenter had an instant $200 off on the base model MacBook Pro, I immediately picked one up. Now, I'm having second thoughts and wondering if should pick up a refurbished 2.26 GHz MacBook from Apple instead. There's about a $250 difference in price between the two ($1060 and $805, after tax).

I know the older model MacBook would be more than adequate for my purposes (web, email, basic Office work, watching movies, etc.), but I'm wondering if the updated features and extra power of the Pro is worth the extra money?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Return MacBook Pro for MacBook?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Return MacBook Pro for MacBook?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You may find that the
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 12, 2010 7:58 AM PDT

cost of returning the original laptop removes any price advantage you may be seeing.

Unlikely that the store would accept the machine back now that you have purchased and used it, without charging some form of restocking fee.

I would stick with the Pro

P

Collapse -
Return MacBook Pro for MacBook?
by arice727 / August 12, 2010 8:36 AM PDT
In reply to: You may find that the

I haven't opened the Pro yet, so I wouldn't have to worry about a restocking fee.

Collapse -
Depends on you
by Jimmy Greystone / August 12, 2010 1:42 PM PDT

Depends on you. The MBP will have a longer life expectancy in terms of acceptable performance. So if you're planning on keeping either choice long term, the MBP is the better option. If you're only looking to keep it around 1-2 years, the MB is probably better because it's cheaper.

Collapse -
Do you know
by juiveg / October 2, 2010 5:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Depends on you

how long would a macbook pro i7 last for?

Collapse -
I have an 8 year old
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 2, 2010 9:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Do you know

G4 Ti Book which is still going strong.

I've also got an SE/30 which is more than twice as old as that and it is still capable of going on-line.

How long will something last is not really a question that can be answered. You can get it warrantied for 3 years, so figure it will last that and more, easily.

P

Collapse -
(NT) do u use your mac for everyday use?
by juiveg / October 2, 2010 1:43 PM PDT
In reply to: I have an 8 year old
Collapse -
Yes
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 3, 2010 6:59 AM PDT

That machine is in daily use.

P

Collapse -
$250
by iancoruther / November 12, 2010 2:02 PM PST

The $250 is worth it for the extra features you could get, besides it is just a small difference so go for the much better one.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?