General discussion

Retrospect 4.3 restore

I had to get a new hard drive for my Mac G4 tower (OS 9.2.2), and now I want to restore my data from the Zip disks on which I backed them up with Retrospect 4.3. In the Retrospect manual, it says to copy the catalog files to the hard drive before choosing to restore all the data, but I don't know which files those are. Can someone tell me what name to look for? Thanks, J.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Retrospect 4.3 restore
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Retrospect 4.3 restore
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Retrospect Catalog Files

Me again, Thanks for the thanks.
The catalog files were almost certainly on the dead hard drive and are now propping up some landfill someplace. All is not lost though. You can rebuild them, you have the technology, you have the money! (wonder if I can sell that idea to a TV company?)
Reload Retrospect onto your G4 and launch it. Somewhere in the Tools or Configure menus there will be an option to recreate the Catalogs from Tape or Disk. It will ask for a place to store the catalogs and you will give it an answer.
Follow the instructions and eventually the catalog will be rebuilt and you can go ahead with the restore process. Your version of Retrospect is quite old but apparently it is working well for you. When you finally make the leap to OS X, and you should, it will need to be replaced.
Good luck with the rebuild.
Let us know if it works for you

P

- Collapse -
Retrospect catalog files

Well, at first, I thought that everything was just fine: The catalog process seemed to go without a hitch, as did the actual restoration from the Zip disks of my data. Then, when it was all finished, I happened to check out the Retrospect log, which showed that there had been 53 execution errors--none that I was warned about--and when I looked at the desktop, all the aliases looked like hands writing on sheets of paper. I figured that a restart would not come amiss, and the the real problem began: a message saying, "This startup disk will not work on this Macintosh model. Use the latest installer to update this disk for this model." I haven't the slightest idea of what it means, nor what, if anything I could do to update the disk. I have written an email message to Tekserve, who no longer take questions over the phone, and I'm hoping that they'll take pity on me and phone me soon, because they are the ones who installed the disk on Monday.

This message isn't so much meant to ask for help as to bewail my fate in the company of those who probably know as well as I how painful all this can be--although any ideas are welcome, as always. Besides, I promised to report back to you on how the restore process went. Thanks, but although the operation was a success, the patient got convulsions or some such thing.

If I find out anything from Tekserve that is worthy of a report, I'll get back to all of you.

J.

- Collapse -
Restore

J,
This could be a stupid question, I really hope so, but here goes.
When your machine was working correctly, and you were doing backups, did you perhaps backup the System folder as well as your data? If you did, and you restored that data, it may have left your system folder in a state that is unsuitable for your machine. You should never back up your System folder. Remember, that to restore your data, after a crash like this one, you have to have a functioning System folder before you can even start to restore the data from Retrospect. Therefore, it is pointless backing up the system folder. If you never did this, ignore it. However...... Obviously the drive is still working, hence the message, but contains a less than perfect OS. Who put the OS back on for you and what version was it?
If you have an OS 9 install disk, you could try a CLEAN install of the OS and get back to the land of the living again.

let me know what the System folder backup answer is

P

- Collapse -
Restore

Not a stupid question at all. Actually, I restored everything, because I knew that my System Folder would have had in it items that don't come with a brand-new folder. I never thought it would have such an effect, but thinking about it now, it makes sense. But how, then, to get hold of those extra data? I can't rename the old System Folder in the usual fashion, as is usual in doing a new installation. That is, I can't do that on the Retrospect backups, and apparently, I can't put it onto the new drive after a clean install without renaming it. A dilemma. Any suggestions about how to do it?

Regarding a clean install: I'd have to begin with 9.0.4, the version on my Install CD, then go on through the versions through 9.2.2. Assuming that you are right about the cause for the message I got, if my own system with 9.2.2 is too "old" for the new drive, how would it work with the earlier versions that I'd have to install first? If I don't restart until I'm up to the latest version, will that work?

Regarding your other questions: Tekserve put the System software (9.2.2) onto the new drive. I didn't ask them to do it, but they did. I've written a heartfelt email message to Tekserve, but they haven't returned with one of their own or phoned me. (They used to accept phone calls about problems but no longer do, but occasionally, they'll phone in response to an email.)

What concerns me as much as the strange message is the fifty-odd execution errors (not reported in the process of restoring the data) that Retrospect experienced. Could that have crippled or confused my drive? Maybe the backup files were harmed when whatever was ailing my old hard drive occurred.

Regarding another message about Retrospect: Yes, Retrospect 4.3 is an old version of the software, but it's supposed to be fine for OS 9. When I go to OS X, I shall, of course, have to update that and the rest of the software I have that doesn't work with OS X.

Well, back to the drawing board. I'll try the clean install and hope that I can get my data back from the old drive, which Tekserve gave back to me, through data retrieval. I haven't much faith that the Retrospect data are OK, so I'll have to bite the bullet. Perhaps, Tekserve (who will do the data retrieval) can tell me how to deal with getting the extra data from my old System Folder.

Sorry if this is just too much. I'm getting impatient frustrated and upset. Much is riding on this, including my work, personal files and a lot of other things. I did so hope that my having backed up the files so recently would be a blessing, not a curse, and that having a new hard drive would solve my problems. I very much appreciate your sympathy and assistance, though.

Thanks for everything,

J.

- Collapse -
Restore

OK, let's go with a clean install using the OS that you have on disk, 9.0.4 We know that this will boot your machine quite comfortably.
The fact that you do a clean install will automatically rename your existing system folder to Previous System folder.
Do that and then go through until you have 9.2.2, or close, on the machine and it reboots correctly.
Next, reinstall the Retrospect software. Do what you have to to make it work, build catalogs again. Now, take a deep breath. When you do a restore from those zip disks of yours, you are going to be selective as to what you actually restore. you do know that you can restore just one file out of all the files you backed up and not have to do the whole thing? Of course you did. So, restore your DATA only. Do not select anything to do with the System folder. If necessary, install one folder at a time. Whatever you do, do not attempt to restore the whole nine yards.
Try that. Clean install of the OS, controlled restore and let me know what happens

Good Luck

P

- Collapse -
Restore

Thanks for the detailed directions. I did the clean reinstall and haven't been able yet to get to the restore part, except for reinstalling my applications and a few other things. Most of the old system files, too. I'll get to the rest another time and shall report back to you how it went.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I haven't been back here since the day I last posted a message!

J.

- Collapse -
System Files?

If you did a clean install, reloaded your printer drivers and some applications, what old system files did you put into the new system. Remember the reason for the clean install was because the system was corrupt.

P

- Collapse -
System files?

Very astute, mrmacfixit (aka "P"). I am in the process of doing yet another clean install, at the suggestion of Tekserve (whom I had to consult on another matter). This time it's going to be everything installed from scratch, including fonts--a truly monumental task, but one that will, I think, put everything back into shape.

On the subject of the Retrospect restore: I shall do that again, and this time only the data that you mentioned. I'm still not sure that the Zip disks I used on my last backup got it all OK, so I may ultimately have to get Tekserve to do disk data retrieval on the old hard drive, to the fullest extent possible, but that's for another time, if ever.

Any suggestions about how to find out whether the backup data are OK, before I reinstall them? What utility could repair them if they are not OK? Maybe there is nothing further I can do, but it seemed worth the question.

Thanks, P, for (as usual) your pithy remarks. I am impressed by how much I don't know (and blessedly, never have had to know) but am always eager to learn.

J.

- Collapse -
Backup Data

Unfortunately, about the only way to see if the Backup Data are correct is to restore them. Retrospect "may" have a utility in it that will check the validity of the backup, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
However, remember that you do have a choice of where you will put the files that you are restoring. May I suggest that you create a folder and restore some of the files, not all of them, to that folder. Then, try to open them. If all goes well, move on and restore the remainder. If it doesn't......There's always DriveSavers! Rememember, nothing System related.
Once you have everything set, you might want to consider archiving some of your older files to CD. If you don't already have a burner, you should consider an external Firewire device. LaCie make a good one, 52X, for a very reasonable price.

Hope this helps

CNET Forums

Forum Info