General discussion

Retro freak

I wonder if it is likely to get a free copy of Windows 95 or earlier. I am just inquiring here. I used them in the past and feel like experience them for a second time.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Retro freak
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Retro freak
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I'm not sure about piracy issues or copyright problems

but there is probably many original install CD's available for Win 95. You could try eBay, or perhaps your friends or relatives may have the original disks lying around somewhere.

But if you mean "copy" of Win 95 CD's, then I doubt Microsoft would be very happy about pirating issues, even with such an old OS.

Mark

- Collapse -
Re: old OS's

Not free, but try eBay. It's quite possible someone wants to sell a set of Windows 3.11 diskettes. Be sure they are all readable after 10 years (diskettes tend to detoriate).

There is no real difference between the look and feel of Windows 95 and Windows 98. I wouldn't take the trouble for that.

Kees

- Collapse -
you're asking for a lot of work-trouble.

device drivers, free drivers-software. W98se=66mhz,16mb ram min. Pent 1 75-200mhz (MMX) 32mb ram recco. Win 3.1 and W95 much less supported on the web. W95B-C was being loaded by local shops for awhile, to escape the $60 W98 charge, as MS doesn't seem to care. W98SE much more user friendly to install, much more still on web.

CNET Forums

Forum Info