MacBooks forum

General discussion

RETRIEVING SMALL DISC FROM MACBOOK CD/DVD SLOT

by swaff43 / May 14, 2010 12:22 AM PDT

My wife inserted a small disk into the cd/dvd slot and it will not eject. How do I get it out, short of taking it to a repair shop? It is a MacBook 3.1 Intel Core 2 Duo running OS x 10.6.3

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RETRIEVING SMALL DISC FROM MACBOOK CD/DVD SLOT
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RETRIEVING SMALL DISC FROM MACBOOK CD/DVD SLOT
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can't
by Jimmy Greystone / May 14, 2010 1:05 AM PDT

You can't. And as you've found out, but for the benefit of anyone else who may be reading NEVER INSERT A NON-STANDARD SIZE CD/DVD INTO A SLOT LOADING CD/DVD DRIVE. They WILL get stuck, and the ONLY way to get them out is to take the drive apart. Also, these discs may end up shattering inside the drive destroying it and the drive.

You will have to take this to a repair shop, and they will have to take the drive apart to get the disc out. I had to do this recently for an iMac, and it shouldn't take them too long to do it. There is a chance that the drive will have to be replaced, and this will be considered accidental damage and not covered by the warranty. Just so you're prepared for what might end up being a rather expensive repair.

Collapse -
try this
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 14, 2010 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: You can't

turn the computer off and unplug any peripherals.

Hold the computer with the slot downward and shake it.
If you are lucky, enough of the disk will emerge for you to pull it out with your fingers or even an pair of tweezers. (The latter will damage the disk.)

If you need to move the felt that covers the slot, use a business card to separate the felt.

let us know what happens

p

Collapse -
HERES WHAT WORKED -gettting undersized cd out of the drive
by swaff43 / May 18, 2010 10:20 PM PDT

I rebooted the laptop while holding it with the CD slot facing down. While it rebooted I held the eject button, and viola! Out it came, with no damage to the drive!

Collapse -
Ejecting a mini disc form your mac
by bill1710 / April 16, 2014 11:53 PM PDT

yes you can.
Select the CMD button then the space bar.

A small terminal window will then open.

type in.

drutil followed by the space bar. then type eject. then hit the enter button.

the disc will then pop out.

regards BC

Collapse -
Highly unlikely to happen
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 17, 2014 8:43 AM PDT

the eject mechanism for the optical drive is mechanical and relies on being able to connect lift and transport a standard sized disc.
The mini disc is almost certainly just floating around inside the enclosure and not in a position to be transported by the mechanism.

Note that the OP finally removed the disc by holding the machine vertically, with the slot down, and cycled the eject function.
The disc came out but was not "ejected" in the accepted sense.

Your method simply cycles the eject function, as does rebooting with the mouse held down or pressing the eject button.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!