Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

retreving HD space on C:\

by Ahhh_there_u_r / December 24, 2008 4:18 AM PST

hello everyone, i hope i am in the right place to get a lil help. i think i know what i need to do, just need to make sure i am on the right track, anyways here is my question,

i have a 120gig HD on my XP desktop,i (brought it in 2003) with 3 partions C:\10gig, just XP OS is on the C:\, D:\40gig, programs are on D, E:\40gigs games and music on E.
lost 20gigs partition being dumb, lol i am now running out of space on my C:\ with all the updates for XP, i now have less than a GIG of space, here is what i am thinking of doing, backup all files and programs to a EXT HD, (in the proccess of doing that as we speak) format D:\, reinstall windows XP and do an Fdisk to take 10gig from D:\ to add to the C:\ to make it 20gig, then just restore my files and programs back to respective drives. will that work ?
thanks in advance for your help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: retreving HD space on C:\
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: retreving HD space on C:\
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No.
by Kees Bakker / December 24, 2008 4:31 AM PST

That won't work. The partition management tools in Windows XP are rather limited. You can't take 10 Gb off one partition and add it to another. You'll need to buy a program like Partition Magic to that.

But you can delete both c: and d: and then make a new empty c: and a new empty d: with disk management before you reinstall the OS. Or keep it as one 60 Gb c:-drive, just as you like.

And you'll really need to reinstall all your programs, even in your original scheme. You can't copy them from your backup to your d: and expect them to work on a clean install of Windows on the c:. They'll need all kind of info in the registry, and it's the install that does that.
But, of course, you can copy the DATA back.

Kees

Collapse -
Don't think that will work
by Steven Haninger / December 24, 2008 4:33 AM PST

You're not going to be able to alter/remove your primary partition without trashing the logical drives in the extended partition altogether in the manner you've suggested. You could invest in a 3rd party program such as Partition Magic that will allow you to resize and/or merge partitions. Another way would be to use cloning software to make an image of your XP partition and then save the data from your logical drives to an external as you mentioned. You could then fdisk and delete all partitions on the 120 gig drive and then restore XP from the cloned image while creating the partition size of your choice. The rest of the drive would be free space. From there you use XP's disk manager to partition and format that free space as you wish. You could return your data to the new logical drives as well.

Collapse -
Re-posted from new thread created in error.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 24, 2008 5:10 AM PST
just so i understand Original post
by Ahhh_there_u_r - 24/12/08 12:56

just so i understand i can delete both C: and D with XP disk manager ? and then make a new C: then D: with the disk manager ? and will be able to re ajust the size of the C : ? and all this is done prior to reinstalling the OS ? and even if i back up the registry i still will have to re install my programs ?? a restore from my EXT HD will not work ??

thanks in advance

But you can delete both c: and d: and then make a new empty c: and a new empty d: with disk management before you reinstall the OS. Or keep it as one 60 Gb c:-drive, just as you like.
Collapse -
There are some things to clear up.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 24, 2008 5:33 AM PST

There are some things you need to understand, and you need to clarify.

1] In your first post you gave the following information;

"i have a 120gig HD on my XP desktop,i (brought it in 2003) with 3 partitions C:\10gig, just XP OS is on the C:\, D:\40gig, programs are on D, E:\40gigs games and music on E.
lost 20gigs partition"

10GB on C, 40GB on D, and 40GB on E totals 90GB. That means you are missing 30GB, not 20GB. Is that right? If so, where is that other missing space? Do you have another partition that you are not using?

If that partition is not yet created or is created but not yet formatted, you may still be able to do that using Disk Management, and so gain yourself some valuable extra space. You can use a resource from the internet to take you through the steps, like the guidance below;
http://www.techsupersite.com/basic_disks.html

However, Kees or Steven or any other person may give you better advice on this.

2] If you decide to wipe everything and start afresh, why use partitions anyway? They still use the same hard disk and you can be just as effective with storing specific files in specific locations using just Folders and sub-folders, and not partitions.

In my view, partitions on the same hard disk have no benefit, unless you intend to install different Operating Systems on the same disk, in different partitions. Others here may have differing views.

3] If you copy the whole of the contents of the current C disk to an external disk using software like Acronis True Image, I am not sure if you will be able to copy that back to any new partition or newly formatted disk to have it working as before. That is because the disk size has changed. But again, others will will know better.

4] If you attempt to copy only programs from one partition to another, or to an external disk, that will not work. Moving programs about in Windows failed many years ago with Windows 95, and has never worked since. You will need to reinstall all and every software you need on the new setup.

5] However, copying data, such as photos, music, videos, documents, etc, to a safe location will work, and if you also have the installer files for any software you downloaded from the internet, those installer files can be copied to a safe location, and then copied to the new setup to be used to reinstall that software.

6] Personally I would start again. Backup all those important files noted in 5. Then use your XP CD to delete all partitions, create one large partition of 120GB, format that, then reinstall the OS onto that. The XP CD can do all that for you.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
clearing up some things
by Ahhh_there_u_r / December 24, 2008 6:04 AM PST

in my original post i

"i have a 120gig HD on my XP desktop,i (brought it in 2003) with 3 partitions C:\10gig, just XP OS is on the C:\, D:\40gig, programs are on D, E:\40gigs games and music on E.
lost 20gigs partition"

i do have another partition of 20 gigs or so , but i am unable to format it even using XP disk management, i few years ago i did lose that partiton, i dont remember what i did, but i am no longer able to retive, partition, or delete it so its a lost, the reason i personally like to partiton my drives is that i like to keep my OS seperate, personal preferace, but i am thinking of going with marks suggestion since i now have both an EXT HD and DVD burner where i can keep all my DATA and program and burn them to a DVD

6] Personally I would start again. Backup all those important files noted in 5. Then use your XP CD to delete all partitions, create one large partition of 120GB, format that, then reinstall the OS onto that. The XP CD can do all that for you.I hope that helps.
Mark

but now my question is that if mark suggest deleting all my partitons why could i not just create a larger C: partition ?? am i missing something ??

thanks for all the help

Collapse -
You cannot create a larger primary partition
by Steven Haninger / December 24, 2008 9:00 AM PST

where you OS resides using Windows. You can do so with 3rd party utilities. You can delete partitions/drives in the "extended" partition space and recreate those without disturbing your OS. One problem you would run into if you had programs installed on logical drives is these cannot be made to work by backing up the drive, reinstalling the OS and copying back the folders and files from those programs. They would need to be individually reinstalled. Starting fresh isn't the worst idea though.

Collapse -
Thanks for all the help
by Ahhh_there_u_r / December 24, 2008 9:32 AM PST

thanks for everyone that gave thier suggestions, i think i will delete all the partitons that i have and make one partiton, i have all my documents, files , music, videos backed / copied up to my EXT HD. once again thanks for the help

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.