General discussion

resuming from hibernate in WinMe

Hi! Occasionally, when I try to resume from hibernation, nothing happens when I move the mouse. Just a black screen, and I have to just turn the computer off and then back on again with the power button. It doesn't happen all the time, but I don't like to have to turn the computer off that way, but I don't know what else to do. Why does this sometimes happen, and what can I do to prevent it? I have a 20GB 800mhz Dell Dimension running WinMe. Thanks for any help with this problem.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: resuming from hibernate in WinMe
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: resuming from hibernate in WinMe
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Hibernate in Windows ME was never totally fixed.

Here's one patch that many overlook and is not available for download. There may be others.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296773

What's not written in this article are symptoms like yours that also occur.

Bob

- Collapse -
I knew I forgot something...

I forgot to add that I have 128MB RAM. Do you think this still applies to my situation? I don't usually leave open programs on my computer - but I have done it once in a while. My computer goes into standby and hibernation every night, and usually has no problems resuming from it. My HD is nearly full so maybe this could be contributing to my problem? Thank you, Bob, for your help

- Collapse -
You can determine that full issue.

I'd rather not guess that's it since you can fix that with ease. Try turning off System Restore, turn it back on and then run disk cleanup.

That will free up space.

Next, no spyware and if you run a Firewall on Windows ME, remember I've seen such interfere. I know of no cure for that issue.

Bob

- Collapse -
Thank you

Thank you, Bob, I will try that. I have AdAware and SpywareBlaster, so the only spyware I get is MRU lists. I also use Privacy Guardian (free version) which removes a lot of junk, and I have Sygate Personal Firewall. It isn't really a huge problem, I just thought if there was a way around it, I'd try to find it. But, like you said, there doesn't appear to be a cure. Thanks so much for you help, and adding to my learning experience!

- Collapse -
Those are known interferers.

You can test each one with the MSCONFIG utility. When you find it, check to see if another version (of firewall/other) is available or try another make of the product.

Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info