Windows Vista forum

Question

Result: Scan Failed - bad authentication

by wootz / January 17, 2012 4:33 AM PST

CNet will not update my programs list - I keep getting
Results: Scan failed - Bad authentication response received from Server
Computer: Me
Scanned on 01/01/2012

I need to remove Avg_free_stb_all_2011_1388_cnet which is not in my programs but McAfee will not install until AVG is removed - I am currently usingavast

this has gone on for several days - started when I was updating Playon with plugins and my entire system crashed - died - dead I was able to restore by backdating restore point - but things have not worked correct since - I spent 4 hours on with Verizon which was useless

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Result: Scan Failed - bad authentication
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Result: Scan Failed - bad authentication
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
May I ask?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 17, 2012 5:15 AM PST

The post by mchainmchain offers lists of uninstallers for you, but if I could ask.

You seem to be attempting to install anti-virus scanners when you already have Avast. AV scanners don't work well together and some may even attempt to prevent others from installing. Why do you want to install McAfee when you already have Avast?

Also, that "Avg_free_stb_all_2011_1388_cnet" file appears to be CNET's "Installer file" for AVG. It is not AVG itself. If you downloaded this file from CNET Download.com it should have been saved somewhere on your hard drive before you clicked it to run it.

Find that location where the download process saved the file, and delete it from there. This does not install anything onto the hard drive so I am at a loss why McAfee is flagging it as installed, and also as AVG.

Mark

Collapse -
ref: Result: Scan failed - Bad authenticatication response
by wootz / January 17, 2012 7:12 AM PST
In reply to: May I ask?

Lost original reply

using HP Model M8407C Windows 2007 with Service Pack 2 with 64 bit

Only tried to install McAfee due to System crash and CNET not working after System Restore (would not let me restore to day before (01/15/2012) had to roll back to 01/01/2012 ) I get response from CNET when I try to scan my system for updates:

Computer: Annette PC
Scanned on 01/01/2012

You are right about AVG (there is not that program on my system ) I do not know why McAee is reading it as one it WAS installed from CNET Download.com originally

I am unable to get CNET to update (also had issues with HP Advisor but went into start page and unchecked it so it will not start - did not need it)

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Specific Uninstallers for A/V's
by mchainmchain / January 17, 2012 4:59 AM PST
Collapse -
Bad Authentication response received
by wootz / January 17, 2012 7:23 AM PST

Thank you - I must have not been clear - AVG is not on my system but is on CNET update programs - for some reason McAfee was reading it like it is a program - I am using Avast and only tried to install McAfee to find out why CNET Tracker would not update and gives the following response:

Scanned on 01/01/2012

using Windows Vista on HP Model M8407C with Service Pack 2 system 64 bit

Total System crashed and I thought is was dead but after several tries I was able to restore to 01/01/2012 (not after that date - happened on 01/14 or 15 while I was down loading plugins from PlayOn - I was able to restore store but some programs do not work like CNET Tracker

Collapse -
What is that CNET? TECH TRACKER?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2012 7:25 AM PST

Tech Tracker has its own forum. I don't know anyone that uses it.
Bob

Collapse -
do not understande
by wootz / January 17, 2012 8:31 AM PST

I thought this is where I would find help - what is the Tech Tracker forum if this is not the place to obtain information - my Net Tracker will not scan - last scan 01/14 says next on 01/15 but when I try to run it I get the response of:

Scanned on 01/01/2012

I have tried installing it again - maybe I will totally delete it and re-install
MSN thru Verizon has been bad all day

Collapse -
I don't understand either.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2012 8:59 AM PST
In reply to: do not understande
Collapse -
tech tracker
by wootz / January 18, 2012 10:11 AM PST

after 2 days and finding out I have DOS/Alureon.E trojan on system I just un-installed TT

Collapse -
Grif has an answer for more scans.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2012 10:26 AM PST
In reply to: tech tracker
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.