Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Restoring without Windows XP installation CD

by ibtinl / May 7, 2007 2:42 PM PDT

Is there a way?
If I backed up all information on a computer running on XP onto an empty/new hard drive (#2), and replaced my old hard drive (#1) with hard drive #2 (since there's room for only one hard drive in the case), would I be able to completely restore the data? Is there any other way to completely restore what was on hard drive #1 without the Windows XP installation CD?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Restoring without Windows XP installation CD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Restoring without Windows XP installation CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What are you trying to resolve?
by John.Wilkinson / May 7, 2007 2:47 PM PDT

First, let me say you could not simply copy-and-paste a copy of all files on drive #1 to drive #2 while drive #1 is in use (running Windows) because hundreds of files would be in use and unaccessible. Thus, you would need to boot either from a CD or a third hard drive and copy the contents over. It would be best to use cloning software, such as that usually provided at no charge by the hard drive manufacturer.

However, my question is what would you be trying to accomplish? Copying all of the files over would transfer any problems you have software-wise, so is this to abandon a failing hard drive or would it serve some other purpose? There may be a better way.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
I just need more space...
by ibtinl / May 7, 2007 4:11 PM PDT

As far as I know, there are no viruses or problems with the hard drive I have right now. The one I have currently is about 100GB and rapidly running out of free space, so I'd like to add more space, but since there's only room for one hard drive, I'd have to take out the hard drive I have right now, or use the space that is currently occupied by my CD/DVD-ROM drive. External hard drives I hear are too slow and not as reliable, but I guess this is the most viable option for me now.

Collapse -
didnt quite understand what your problem is but..
by marcelomdsc / May 8, 2007 5:37 AM PDT

if you need more space, and your case can hold only onw hard drive, then what you need is an external hard drive.
You can get one pretty cheap, i think western digital has one that is 250gb for 150 bucks or something like that, they are not great, but they are cheap.
I personally have a 320 that I bought for 150bucks and it's great, but it is a local company in sonoma county california.

These days, you can even get a terabyte for like 500 bucks...i would never buy one of those but....they are out there.

Collapse -
Try looking...
by Willy / May 7, 2007 10:18 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?