Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

restoring screen window size

by chukeej / January 16, 2006 12:39 PM PST

OS: Windows95. I cannot resize the window screen with the mouse. The toolbar text to the left of the window (e.g. File) and also text on the right side of the toolbar, is not visible; therefore, I cannot click on any of the options. I have tried Alt + space + M to move it, but this does not solve the problem. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: restoring screen window size
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: restoring screen window size
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Use keyboard to move/resize
by kschang / January 16, 2006 2:51 PM PST

Once you got the move/resize activated, use the arrow keys on your keyboard to resize/move the window.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Control Panel-Display, change screen size.
by reefurbb / January 18, 2006 8:28 AM PST
Collapse -
Windows Resizing
by the_real_martian / January 18, 2006 9:35 AM PST

Not all windows can be resized. If it is a standard window, such as Windows Explorer, it can not be resized if it has been Maximized. To see if this is the case, press Alt + Space, and see if the "Restore" option is available. If it is, select it and you will be able to resize your windows. (Sorry if you already tried that, or I'm being too simple!)

Collapse -
by chukeej / January 22, 2006 12:21 PM PST

Thanks for all the replies. I've tried everything suggested but still cannot resize my window to show all the items to the left and right of the toolbar. Any further suggestions will be much appreciated.

Collapse -
what happened when you...
by reefurbb / January 22, 2006 8:14 PM PST

went to control panel-display, and tried to change settings? The point is that this is a way to see if you have all video drivers.

Collapse -
Tell us.
by Cursorcowboy / January 22, 2006 8:56 PM PST
The toolbar text to the left of the window (e.g. File) and also text on the right side of the toolbar, is not visible; therefore, I cannot click on any of the options. I have tried Alt + space + M to move it, but this does not solve the problem.

1. When you say the left and right side of the screen isn't showing, then I would assume your computer is in a resolution where the display is larger than the monitor screen. What is the screen resolution set to?

2. Second, you haven't told us what window or program is open since there is no toolbar on the desktop for Win95?

3. When you use the key-combination Alt+Space Bar to get the context menu and then press the M key by itself, what do you do after that and what happens to/on the screen?

4. Regardless of what screen/program is open, is there no scroll-bar at the bottom?
Collapse -
by chukeej / January 27, 2006 12:55 PM PST
In reply to: Tell us.

Many thanks for all replies and suggestions.
To Cursorcowboy: (Tell us)
1) screen resolution is 800x600 pixels
2) the open window program is Microsoft Word document
3) when I press Alt+spacebar+M and move the right or left arrows the screen does not change - remains the same. 4) The up and down scroll arrows are not visible on the screen, and although the left scroll arrow is visible it will not move when I try to scroll - and the right scroll arrow is not visible.
As mentioned before, I cannot see all the items in the Microsoft Word Document open window (File, Edit) and I cannot reset my margins because of this.

Collapse -
Monitor instead?
by TONI H / January 27, 2006 6:40 PM PST

Look for the buttons on your monitor that allow you first to get into the menu and then you will see the choices you have....two of which have to do with the horizontal screen size and two with the vertical screen size. You can use the buttons to adjust them so the window on screen is less than what it's set for now.

TONI

Collapse -
Clarification please.
by Cursorcowboy / January 27, 2006 10:10 PM PST

If the process described by Toni doesn't fix the situation, give us some more details. I don't have nor use MSWord so cannot comment on its use and anomalous features.

1) screen resolution is 800x600 pixels

What happens if you can set the resolution to 1024x768.

2) the open window program is Microsoft Word document
3) when I press Alt+spacebar+M and move the right or left arrows the screen does not change - remains the same.

I'm assuming from your comment that when the key combination Alt+Spacebar by itself is used....since there is no three-key-combination that I know that works, the context menu in the ULHC where Move is or is not an available option may be off the screen and you don't see it after these two keystrokes. Do you see this menu, and is Move not grayed out?

Caveat: If you're press the M key anyway without seeing whether Move is an available action.... because it is grayed out, then you will not see a four-cross cursor that means movement of the screen is an available action using the keyboard cursor keys or the mouse?

If you can see the context menu after the first two keystrokes....or even if you do, and you see that the Move option is grayed (not an available option), then I would assume your program was started at Maximized from a shortcut, and since the program is being rendered larger than the viewing area, the three boxes usually shown in the URHC of the screen is now off to the right, somewhere unknown.

You're going to have to change the properties of this program shortcut to start it in Normal mode, which hopefully will give you enough screen area to use the Scroll Bar to go left or right to see the above mentioned menu. For example: I start my IE with a shortcut with properties at maximized and I can see the entire display on the screen area. However, if I use the two-key combination described above, I do see the context menu in the ULHC; I also see that Move is not an option and therefore pressing the M key would have no affect since the four-point cursor key would not be rendered since Move is grayed; but since the entire screen is there and I see the three boxes in the URHC, which allows Minimizing, Normal mode and closing of the IE program, I can then click Normal (middle button of the three) which then allows these movement options we're talking about -- try this process/test on something you can see and ascertain whether my gist holds water or not.

4) The up and down scroll arrows are not visible on the screen, and although the left scroll arrow is visible it will not move when I try to scroll - and the right scroll arrow is not visible.

Please. Just a little clarification if we're talking about the screen area and not the mouse cursor (arrows): The up and down scrollable bar on the right of a screen is the elevator and the bottom Scroll Bar allows movement of the screen right and/or left -- when either or both is a viable options however.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!