Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Restoring operating system

by RavenBleed / September 9, 2007 5:48 AM PDT

Wiil try to keep this short...this is going on week 3 and I'm about ready to open fire on Dell and their tech support.

Day one...computer was operating perfectly. Turn it off.
Day two...Turn computer on and attempted to connect to internet. It would not connect, keep getting error page.

I call Verizon and they tried finding the issue hoping they could fix it, not to happen. Next day them send a tech.
Day 3He checked everything and still no internet. I hooked another computer up to the router, installed
Verizon software and all was fine. (This PC is 11 years old on Windows 98) The PC in question is 3 years old on Windows XP. Verizon suggested call Dell, as it was not a DSL issue.

One very long call to Dell (whom speak no English and rude)...they had me checking installing and installing more stuff than I knew the computer had. Still no progress. I got the old PC online but its limited in what you can do with and also too old to use. I need to use the new one, as I take online graphic design classes that require 2000 or XP. So I call Dell back and demand to speak to the tech superior...he had me redo everything the tech did, seven hours later no progress.

Then the old PC stopping going online. Another call to Verizon..fixed after a quick visit by techn. He checked the new PC and nothing. I call Dell again, got a great tech and he was stumped as hours went by and no progress was made.

His only suggestion was it back up all files (oh, yeah!) and uninstall the operating system and install it again. Not something that I wanted to do or felt comfortable doing but limited in cash I had no other choice. No progress...the installation disc was defective and had to order a new one.

I'm suppose to call the tech tonight and do this process but would like a second opinion from someone other than a Dell techician. I did try on other suggestion that I found on here but that didn't work.

Any suggestions or advice I would be appreiciated alot. I've never gotten anything but wonderful advice on here.

Raven

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Restoring operating system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Restoring operating system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Restoring operating system
by Carol~ Moderator / September 9, 2007 6:17 AM PDT

Raven..

If you hadn't said you got online with your old pc, I would have told you, my guess would be everything points to Verizon. In the past, when I was unable to connect, Verizon consistently told me there were no problems on their end. I went through the same "exercizes" as you did a couple of times, then stopped. In my case, it was always Verizon. I'm not saying it's the cause of your problems now, but it's something to consider in the future. It hasn't happened in quite a while, but when it did, I found going to DSL Reports Verizon Forum, helpful. If there are outages or problems, I've seen it reported there. Not always, but a good deal of the time.
Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
I'm no great expert,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 9, 2007 7:42 AM PDT

but whilst you're waiting for others to help....

Can you ping anywhere? Goto Start > Run and type in "cmd", (without the quotes), or goto Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt. In the Command Prompt window type "ping 216.239.113.101", (without the quotes), and press Enter. Do you get a list of connection times or do you get timeouts?

Try the same with ping www.cnet.com (which is who 216.239.113.101 is).

Do you use a firewall? If so have you checked that it is not preventing you from accessing the internet?

Which browser are you using? If IE, (Internet Explorer), have you tried another browser, eg Firefox? The installation file can be downloaded on your other computer, burned to a CD and copied from that to the new one.

Whilst you're downloading Firefox, (if you do), find IEFix and Winsock XP fix through Google and burn them to the same CD. Try IEFix first.

IEFix sometimes fixes IE problems, whilst Winsock XP fix can solve connectivity problems not just relating to IE.

Mark

Collapse -
Mark
by RavenBleed / September 9, 2007 10:22 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm no great expert,

Mark

Thanks for all your great suggestions.

I have IE and Firefox and get the same result with both browsers.

I did as you suggestion and ping'd 216.239.113.101 and got this reply:Unable to contact IP driver, error code 2.

I tried to ping my IP and the same response.

I'll do the other suggestions and see what happens.

Collapse -
Good luck, and
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 9, 2007 6:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Mark

there are a number of articles listed by Google for;
Unable to contact IP driver, error code 2

It seems the problem is not unknown, but there appears to be no single solution for it. I hope this doesn't turn out to be a difficult and lengthy problem for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Mark

Collapse -
Error 2....no internet connection
by RavenBleed / September 10, 2007 4:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Good luck, and

I was just on a tech website that addressed this issue and the following suggestion was posted.

FOR A RE-INSTALL
Start WindowsXP
Go to the location of your source files
Run WINNT32 /unattend
This is probably the fastest and easiest

This seems simple enought but being somewhat of a computer dolt...where are the source files found. I posted the question there also, no reply as of yet.

There second suggestion was to do a repair which they said should be second choice, as it' complicated to do.

Collapse -
Which tech site?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 10, 2007 5:11 AM PDT

I've never heard of "Run WINNT32 /unattend" for a re-install, but it may have escaped my attention.

Do they mean a re-install of Windows, or a re-install of some specific component?

It's a re-install of XP! This article from Microsoft describes it;
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/winnt32.mspx?mfr=true

I'm not sure you want to do that unless you back up all your important, can't lose personal files like photos, videos, music, documents, etc. Re-installs would wipe out the XP installation and start again.

To do it, goto Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt .
At the command prompt type: winnt32 /unattend
Press Enter .

Or

Start > click Run , type cmd and click OK
type: winnt32 /unattend
Press Enter

If this is an OEM computer, (eg from Dell, HP etc), you should visit their web site to check the best way to carry out a re-install.

A repair install shouldn't be that difficult. You will need the XP CD, and again you should backup your files, but this should only repair any files that are missing or corrupt. More details and guidance here;
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.