Computer Help forum

Question

Restoring memory on a previously owned pc

by dasily36 / January 30, 2012 8:46 PM PST

I bought nice little netbook off of craigslist. Everything works great. However, there is no memory left on this pc at all. I checked all the programs under add/remove and there is nothing I can really delete nor is it taking up that much space. Where is all this space being used at and how can I get this back to normal??? I will add more information (stuff i forgot to say if needed)

Here is what C: drive says.
Used: 7.47 GB
Free: 13.4 MB

The whole pie is used. Sad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Restoring memory on a previously owned pc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Restoring memory on a previously owned pc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Are you getting an error of some kind?
by Steven Haninger / January 31, 2012 1:51 AM PST

If so, what does it say and what are you doing when this happens? Also give the brand and model of the netbook as well as the OS that's installed. If you're getting memory errors, that's different from disk capacity issues. Now, if the netbook has a recovery partition, you may be able to restore it to as it came from the factory but you'd lose all of your own data. The other option, if it's a disk capacity issue, would be to replace the hard drive with a larger one. If you could post the additional information, that would be helpful.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
fyi
by dasily36 / January 30, 2012 11:59 PM PST

This is an Asus EEE 1000 netbook.

Collapse -
Answer
There was this netbook from that company that...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2012 2:13 AM PST

Had an 8GB SSDD in it. While laudable I think most folk can't use such today as Windows and one app could take up the entire space.

Sure, try CCLEANER and DISK CLEANUP but this machine, if it's the one I know of will have users forever in a state of regret.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Additional info. Will not let me reply directly (submit)
by dasily36 / January 31, 2012 3:09 AM PST

Okay.. It's and ASUS EEE 1000 (no h). Running Windows XP. I am getting low memory errors. I click it off, or it takes me to ad/remove programs.

Capacity is 7.48 GB. 7.23 is already in use just from the main programs (windows, Media player, Adobe Reader/Flash, Outlook, MS Essentials, Sound Drivers, MS works, etc.) no additional stuff. (unless something huge is hidden somewhere that I cannot find)????

I feel I could delete all this stuff and that would clear up about 1 gb.

I took it to someone and he looked at it real quick, said I had an 80g HD. Then he found another partition with 7 more gigs under control panel>admin tools>comp mgmnt>disk management. He created an icon under "my computer" for that (D: drive) and said to move some stuff over to that. I have and not a dent has really been made on the c: drive. I dont know what the heck is clogging up all my space. I would love to do a system restore. I have a disk but no disk insert in the netbook as it is pretty small. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

My Dad has the exact same pc and his is great, had it for years. His shows 111gb on the c: drive and his d: drive is showing as removable. I do not understand this darn pc.

Collapse -
windows, Media player, Adobe Reader/Flash, Outlook, MS Essen
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2012 3:17 AM PST

"windows, Media player, Adobe Reader/Flash, Outlook, MS Essentials, Sound Drivers, MS works, etc." would be almost 8GB.

If you say the HDD is actually 80GB it looks like one of those folk that want drive C to be for the OS alone has had their way with this. Now that it is YOUR SYSTEM you could try moving space from D to C with some partition tools.

But first. You must backup your system or have the restore media before doing this. After you can recover from a meltdown, go get GPARTED if you must do this for free.
Bob

Collapse -
Netbook
by Willy / January 31, 2012 3:19 AM PST

I think you seriously need to check the manual and/or docs on this model# netbook. Even if there is limited space, it wasn't suppose to be a full-fledged PC as it were. The whole idea behind it was to keep in touch with the www and some cloud computing to do the basics, etc.. The OS, being XP is probably also a basic version. regardless, w/o a recovery/restore feature, it should have one or access to USB in order to link to it. I exclude the "restore feature" of the OS side which can store alot of data if active. The immediate action is to disable that, reboot and then enable again. The space used for the restore feature will return and/or you can manually create a restore point in order to have an active one again. This in turn should be a lot smaller than the various restore points, plural here because these all take space. You can check the properties of the "C" partition and review what is taking space, if you like. Plus, any pgms. should now be directed to use the more spacious D partition or whatever letter used. that way you can refrain from pgm. usage refill C drive again. having the manual should also explain any features and options that maybe available for that model#., so it \'s worth looking into.

Collapse -
pc use
by dasily36 / January 31, 2012 4:34 AM PST
In reply to: Netbook

Even if there is limited space, it wasn't suppose to be a full-fledged PC as it were.

Yes but there should be more than 7 gigs of ssd on it to begin with. That is barely enough memory to hold what it needs to run it. Sad

Collapse -
I can think of a few places to look
by Steven Haninger / January 31, 2012 3:37 AM PST

First, use the XP disk cleanup utility under Accessories/System tools. You'll see a tab for additional options and one of these is to remove all but the latest restore point. In fact, with such a small disk, you might want to turn off system restore. Anyway, clean those out using the Windows utility. Next, go to the Windows folder. You may see a number of files at the top of the list which look something like $NTUninstalXXXX where the Xs will be some number. Delete all of these but the first which should be something like $hf_mig$. Next, go to the Windows/Temp folder and delete everything there that Windows will allow. Some may be protected. Lastly go to your own user folder under Documents and settings. Find Local Settings/Temp and delete the contents. If there are other user accounts on the netbook, delete the contents of all the temp folders in those. There is one more possible way to free some space. It will be under the power settings. You'd turn off the option that would allow the PC to hibernate. This returns a very small amount of disk space as well. With a little luck, you'll regain enough wiggle room to make the errors go away for a while.

As for that additional partition, one would wonder if that's for system recovery. It's generally hidden and not meant for user storage. I'd not use that one. If you do want to know the disk capacity, however, you might want to check the size shown in the BIOS.

Collapse -
pc
by dasily36 / January 31, 2012 4:21 AM PST

The system restore is suspended on both drives already saying there is not enough space. I've run the disk cleanup about 10 times in 2 days. I do not know where I would be able to locate what is taking up all the space under the C: drive. I get the pie chart but that's about it. The guy who enabled D: drive is a pc tech at a PC store here they charge 90 bucks an hour he is also the one who told me this is an 80 gig hd. I am so lost. I want to restore with the cd I have but I do not have a place to put it in this machine.and why the hell do I only have 7.48 gigs of capacity on C: drive. Jeez this was not what I was told I was buying. I am so pissed. Sorry but I've been screwing with this thing for like 14 hours straight and have gotten no where. I cannot find where the space is being used. How am I supposed to delete it?

I wish I could send someone a screenshot of the computer management disk management screen. There seems to be 3 partitions 1 blank, 1 C: and 1 D: drive.

Can I make this pc work?

Collapse -
The picture is getting clearer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2012 4:28 AM PST
In reply to: pc

I think you have fallen into the netbook TRAP. What's that? It's when someone buys one but forgets is not told that without the usual USB CD/DVD/RW optical drive you can't restore the machine.

I see we covered the usual so far and it seems this is getting too tough.

Unless you are willing to dig in and become a Windows guru I wonder if it's time to ask for a refund?
Bob

Collapse -
refund
by dasily36 / January 31, 2012 4:39 AM PST

Have you ever tried to get a refund from Craigslist? Thanks for reading my post.

Collapse -
Then the alternative.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2012 4:43 AM PST
In reply to: refund

I see a lot of good replies here. BUT with your last post about no place for the restore media it became crystal clear that you fell for the trap.

At least you can get such drives for much less than a few years ago.
Bob

Collapse -
Hello
by dasily36 / January 31, 2012 4:52 AM PST
In reply to: Then the alternative.

No I did not fall for a trap as I said earlier my dad has had the same pc for years and it's worked great. I already knew it did not have a disk device. Have a great day sir.

Collapse -
That's called luck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2012 4:58 AM PST
In reply to: Hello

At some point the external drive is needed when there is a "need."

I see plenty of ideas here and sadly, none of them can add more luck.
Bob

Collapse -
By "trap" Bob is ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 31, 2012 5:47 AM PST
In reply to: Hello

telling you that if the previous owner did as some do and eradicated the restore partition you have no way to restore the system to factory specs without investing in an external USB CD or DVD drive.

If you are willing to have your Eee restored to the day you received it, you can do that without the CD IF THE RESTORE PARTITION IS STILL THERE.

During BOOTUP, repeatedly hit F9 to invoke the "built in" RESTORE. In about 10 minutes XP will be restored to its original state. Note: If you have user data you want to preserve, move it to the "D" drive or a USB flash drive before the restore and it will survive! Good luck.

Collapse -
Restore w/o cd drive
by dasily36 / January 31, 2012 6:36 AM PST
In reply to: By "trap" Bob is ...

I thought about doing this. I had read about it but someone said it would restore to Model: eee 1005 (?)settings, so I got a little nervous.

One other concern I had was needing a password or something that only the previous owner would have.... Not sure if that's something that would pop up?

Thank you.

Collapse -
I'm wondering if you have a hybrid
by Steven Haninger / January 31, 2012 5:04 AM PST
In reply to: refund

You said it was a EEE1000 (no h). When I look this up. Here's a little of what I found.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-eee-pc-1000/4507-3121_7-33204712.html?tag=mncol;subnav

The sources I found shows that it comes with a 40gb drive and Linux for the OS. This could mean that the previous user either replaced the drive, installed another OS or both. If such is the case, getting it to function could be more difficult. Now, if it came with Windows, it should have a decal on the bottom with an ID code. If not, it was either removed or it did not come with that OS.

Collapse -
pc
by dasily36 / January 31, 2012 5:10 AM PST

Hey Steven,
I looked it's got a Windows sticker on it with code. It's an awesome netbook. I just knew nothing about partitions prior to this. Nor did I ever have a pc come with such little hard drive (ram is fine). Thanks for checking it out for me.

Collapse -
A little more
by Steven Haninger / January 31, 2012 5:38 AM PST
In reply to: pc
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Eee_PC

While I can't vouch for this as authoritative, it might appear that you have a 1000H with Windows XP Home and an 80gb drive. The netbook at our house is a Lenovo with an 80 gb drive that came divided into 3 partitions. The 3rd is a hidden recovery partition. No one here can look at your PC and I don't want to suggest anything that cause unrecoverable damage. But what I'd do if I could would be to either image or clone the drive so as to preserve it in it's current state. I would see if it offers at startup, an option to enter a recovery mode. If it does, you go through that process. It removes everything and rebuilds the netbook from the recovery partition. If it works, you're back in business. If not, you have the clone or hard drive image to restore it to its current anemic state. Backup and/or recovery options with these small devices is limited. I have and recommend an external CD/DVD burner as an important accessory to these. Good luck and hope you can get this sorted out.
Collapse -
Thanks
by dasily36 / January 31, 2012 5:46 AM PST
In reply to: A little more

Thanks, that's proabably what I will end up doing. Hopefully that works. Appreciate it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?