Laptops forum

General discussion

Restoring Laptop to original system

by danny_dangaran / March 28, 2005 1:47 PM PST

My parents got me a used Dell Inspiron 5160 laptop but had no reboot or restore disc. How do I restore it to its original system?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Restoring Laptop to original system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Restoring Laptop to original system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dell Restore
by Stan Chambers / March 28, 2005 2:10 PM PST

There's no way to do this without the disk. You can contact Dell or the person that you bought the laptop from, for the restore disk.
Another option is to format and install from a new Windows O.S. disk. That's what I did with my Dell desktop pc. The Dell restore disk is filled with software that I don't use, so I opted to simply install Windows XP and leave off the rest.

Collapse -
I Agree
by Fouad Bakht / April 1, 2005 3:03 PM PST
In reply to: Dell Restore

Either get hold of the guy from the laptop has been bought and demand for the restore CDs or then get a copy of Windows XP Pro or Home OS (whichever) you prefer. Install from a scratch and you'll be better off. Yes, before that visit the Dell web site and see what all software, drivers, etc are available for your particular model of the notebook, download them and make a copy of these. After installing windows, install these drivers and utility software offered by Dell.
But I also suggest you talk to dell support before doing all this. Maybe they have a way out, who knows.

Collapse -
But what if. . .
by humebudde / April 6, 2005 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: I Agree

I have the disk, but no key. When you go to re-install it ask for the key. Will the company give you that? If not, I have another copy of XP Pro with a Key, but if I install that, I lose all the other software apps and drivers that came with the computer and is on the original disk, huh? If I were to install the new XP, what all would I have to do?

Collapse -
Yes. You only get to keep what ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2005 3:52 AM PDT
In reply to: But what if. . .

What you have a license to. If I give you a laptop, no key but an OS, I have SET YOU UP FOR A HARD FALL (or landing.)

You don't have the rights or license so that's the breaks.

This is why you scream at the supplier/seller if they shortchanged you. NO ONE HERE will help you rip off an OS or application since it's much like stealing a car. That's an accessory and not something people here help with.

Bob

Collapse -
Well,
by humebudde / April 6, 2005 5:57 AM PDT

the thing is, my mom's computer has been infected with viruses and stubborn malware. She decided to start over and reinstall XP on her system. She has the disk, but lost the key, so she was gonna try to contact dell and Microsoft for assistance. But if they won't help, I offered to use my XP disk and key to install on her system. However, I think she would lose all her software and software drivers that came with the system, is that right? Would I have to format or reformat her system or anything like that?

Collapse -
Just like losing your car keys in fact.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2005 6:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Well,

Let's say you are asking me to help you bust into the car since "you lost your keys." You know no one will help on that one.

Same story here. No one can help you save Dell and Microsoft to replace a lost key but they won't if you don't have the license in your name.

This is part of the reason to run BELARC ADVISOR before you lose the hard disk contents since that CD Key is in the report.

If not, you may have to pay up for the new OS and key.

As to all the software, why is this an issue? You can reinstall what is rightfully owned by you. Any copies, pirated, shady software are best lost.

If you really need an OFFICE workalike, try out OPEN OFFICE from http://www.openoffice.org

Bob

Collapse -
Yeah, but. . .
by humebudde / April 6, 2005 6:15 PM PDT

First, what is BELARC ADVISOR? Second, if she doesn't have all the software disks, then she can't reinstall them, right? Lastly, I feel that if Dell and/or Microsoft won't help her in re-installing what she paid for, then there is nothing wrong with using a copy of XP to install on her system. You probably disagree, which is understandable. I guess we have to agree to disagree. Normally, I don't like pirating, since it is essentially stealing and can be risky. However, in this case, I feel that if Microsoft won't give her another key (at no cost to them) and allow her to use what she paid for, then they are in the wrong. Just my opinion though.

Collapse -
BELARC ADVISOR is on google.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2005 9:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Yeah, but. . .

As to who's in the wrong here... If you are the registered owner, I've found the keys easy to replace. At most 35 bucks.

As to not having all the software disks, if someone tosses them out they eventually pay the piper.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?