General discussion

Restore problems

Restored my HD this AM from a TM backup and am experiencing a lot of problems which include (1) Safari and iPhoto crash upon launch, (2) Mail launches but crashes when I attempt to access an email, (3) I have several "offline images" in my Aperture Library and any attempt to access metadata results in a crash. Probably more that I haven't encountered.

iMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core Duo, 4GB, OS X 10.6.4

Any thoughts?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Restore problems
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Restore problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I would say

I would say that sounds like some classic symptoms of a HDD that is about to die. Good news is, you have a Mid-2010 system so it will still be under warranty. Take it to an AASP or Apple store to get tested, and when they find a bad HDD, or whatever else it may be, they can check it in for repair.

You could waste your time with phone support, but they're just going to tell you you need to take it somewhere to get repaired anyway, and then they're going to want to run a diagnostic to confirm because without physical access to a system, diagnosing a problem can be a little difficult. So, may as well just cut out the middleman and take it directly to a repair shop.

- Collapse -
Restore Problems

What is interesting is that the only applications that crash upon launch or, if launching is successful, crash during use are the Apple apps like iTunes, Aperture, Safari, Install, any iWork app, etc. Firefox and others work just fine. A mystery.

CNET Forums

Forum Info