General discussion

Restore points very scarce

Acer F1, Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz
Windows XP Home Edition SP2
512 mb memory
Intel V92 External Modem
Dial-up internet connection
Zone Alarm Firewall with Antivirus

I have noticed over the last fortnight or so that system restore is setting hardly any restore points. The only restore point set in February was when I downloaded and installed the latest Microsoft updates but the rest of the month is blank. I can create a restore point with no problems but shouldn't XP be creating restore points on a regular basis as a matter of course? I use my machine at least once a day and connect to the internet daily and my system restore settings are as recommended by XP.
Any advice would be welcome.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Restore points very scarce
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Restore points very scarce
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
is your computer left idle?

System restore requires some idle time to create a restore point. How much hard drive space it is set to use? How much hard drive space is free?

- Collapse -
24 Hours. . .
- Collapse -
24 Hours

Thanks for that information, I didn't know that. I think I'll create restore points more regularly just to be on the safe side.

- Collapse -
Systen checkpoints -- auto create.

Extract from Help& Support:

System Restore creates restore points on a regular basis even if you have not made any changes to the system. System Restore automatically creates these restore points:

every 24 hours of calendar time
or

every 24 hours your computer is turned on
If your computer is turned off for more than 24 hours, System Restore creates a restore point the next time you start the computer. The computer must be idle for a few minutes before System Restore creates a scheduled restore point.

Selecting a scheduled restore point restores Windows XP Professional and programs to the state they were in at that time. Any files with data file name extensions (such as .doc, .htm, .xls, etc.) and all files in the My Documents folder are not restored.

- Collapse -
Restore points,,,,

When doing a system clean up, i delete all but the most recent point. It frees up a lot of drive space and if my pc has been running ok, then whats the point of wasting all the space for multiple points?

- Collapse -
"IF"

True. Restore Points have to be "managed". Some users, like you, clean up regularly. Some only maintain(specify) a small file for restore points, and some (bless them) disable System Restore altogether.

- Collapse -
Sometimes the most recent restore point

doesn't fix the problem. With the huge hard drives most new computers have today, the amount of space used by system restore isn't a problem.

CNET Forums

Forum Info