Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Restore points disappearing

by Grampalloyd / January 13, 2009 4:16 PM PST

I have 2 laptops and now they both have the same problem. All previous restore points are gone yet if I go into windows explorer and look in the backup directory there are 48 subdirectories there with all sorts of data. I think these are the restore points but windows does not see them. The reason I wanted to do a system restore is that I can't install any programs. It doesn't matter whether the program is on my hard drive or on a cd. Click the setup file and the mouse pointer changes to an hourglass and just sits there. It shows the file as running in the task manager but nothing happens. I ended up formatting my alienware and do not want to do that on my acer if at all possible. I run XP home on the acer and XP Media on the alienware. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 3's
Grampa

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Restore points disappearing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Restore points disappearing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Couple of things...
by Slikkster / January 13, 2009 6:59 PM PST

System Restore Points are not normally visible in Windows. They are stored in a hidden folder that you would have to go out of your way to unhide. So, what you're looking at is not the System Restore folder.

You say there are no Restore points, but what happens when you run System Restore? Does it appear to work correctly with the exception of no restore points available?

There's a chance that the System Restore issue and your inability to install programs are related.

Here's what I would do for starters:

Run Chkdsk on your Windows Drive.

The following assumes Windows is on your C: drive:

Click Start. Click Run. Type in:

chkdsk c: /f

Click OK.

You'll get a command window that will tell you that "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? {Y/N}"

Type Y and tap the enter key. Now, restart Windows. It will run a chkdsk operation. I would repeat for any other drives, too. They may very well run while Windows is booted up without having to reboot.

Now, after a chkdsk runs on C: and you're back into Windows, I would run the System File Checker.

Put your Windows CD in the CD drive. Exit out of the window that pops up about installing Windows.

Now, once the CD is in the drive (and you've quit the installer window), do this:

Click Start

Click Run

Type in:

sfc /scannow

Click OK

Let the system file checker run. You should see a small box on the screen with a progress bar as it does its thing. When it's done, it will simply exit off the screen. Now, once it exits, reboot again.

Report back on whether you can install apps.

Collapse -
Another thing to check
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 13, 2009 7:05 PM PST
In reply to: Couple of things...

Viruses and other malware can disable access to System Restore.

Tell us more about the anti-malware protection you use.

Mark

Collapse -
Fist things first
by Amos16 / January 14, 2009 2:15 AM PST

Hi - you say 1)No restore points and 2) cannot install programs. Both may be due to the same issue: lack of space. Theoretically you should be able to install restore points if you have 200 MB free on your partition. In practice it is advisable to make space (delete old files or augment the disks) if you have less than 15% of disk space left in any partition. Hope this helps - Amos.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!